Dead Hipster Overdrive Review

Ease of Use: 9
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Dead Hipster Overdrive Reviewed by: Ollietherocker, on january 15, 2013

Purchased from: Noisemaker Effects

Ease of Use: It has two knobs, Volume and Gain so its extremely easy to dial in what sounds you want. The knobs were a little crackly but that went away once the contacts wore away. Does not include a manual, which would have been nice or at least something like suggested settings, but its so simple you don't really need them. Some times in can be a bit of a challenge getting the Overdrive to the exact point you want, but its nothing a sharpie can't solve. The power input is in a really good place to plug in on a board and its very easy to attach with velcro. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal to give a tiny bit of colour and break up to my other wise sterile clean tone (Fender Strat and solid state), as a mid ground level of distortion compared to my DS-1 and WMD Geiger Counter. I also use it as a boost for the other distortions on my board when it comes to a solo etc. The sound of the pedal is nice, transparent Overdrive edging into distortion as you turn the gain up. I could use it instead of my DS-1 as it handles a grungy guitar sound excellently. There is very little added tone or colour in it which I like. My only complaint is that all of the break up is in the top third of the gain knob. Its quite good for getting a nice Overdrive sound like Hendrix's cleaner stuff, I use it for a cover of "The Wind Cries Mary". It's silent when powered with a 9V supply, I have yet to try it with batteries. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Sturdy build. Die cast enclosure with well attached knobs, good jack sockets that have never come loose yet. All together very reliable and durable, I've gigged with it a few times and its given me no trouble. It's got a lovely bright white LED which is fantastic and makes all my other LEDs look dim. The switch is fine, never had any problems with it what so ever. I dropped it down my stairs onto a hard floor and it didn't even have a scratch, it did more damage to the floor! Overall a reliable pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: Took a little while to arrive because I'm from the UK but not really a problem. Works perfectly for my alternative rock/garage rock sounds as well as adding a little authentic bite to a retro sound. I've had it for 3 months without any problems at all and I can see it lasting a very long time. If it was stolen I'd definitely replace it! I love that its hand made and a great price. The name is also brilliant, its always getting asked about on my board! Buy one, support this fantastic company, Matt is making some awesome new hand made pedals at reasonable prices.

// 9