DST-1 Distortion Review

manufacturer: Onerr date: 07/16/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Onerr: DST-1 Distortion
Produces that distinctive heavy tone used successfully by all the top guitar players from the late 60's and today.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
DST-1 Distortion Reviewed by: obey_yourmaster, on july 12, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Cellar

Ease of Use: Very easy to use. You step on it, and it's on. It also has three knobs (level, tone, distortion) to let you customize your tone. The manual isn't needed much, but should be read, especially for newcomers to pedals. It tells you how to hook it up, what each knob is for, and all that good stuff. Even though it's not a well-known brand, you will definitely get your money's worth. // 10

Sound: I run this pedal with a Gibson SG, and a Marshall MG30. It can be very heavy (such as Slipknot), it can be bluesy (AC/DC, SRV), and all over inbetween (Pantera, A7X). It helps tremendously with pinch harmonics, tapping, and natural harmonics. Power it with a Dunlop Power Brick, and the sound is always consistant. Just one complaint though: It sometimes makes annoying buzzing noises. Not all the time, and it goes away when you turn the pedal off, then turn it back on again, but it does it enough to annoy. It does it on the clean channel with only batteries (when the battery's low), but with an AC adaptor, it only buzzes on the distortion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for about a year, and it hasn't crapped out on me yet. It's been beat up, and survived through all the beatings. Since it is my only distortion pedal, I have to rely on it. It certainly has been worth the money I paid for it almost a year ago. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from AC/DC to Slipknot, and this pedal doesn't disappoint. I use it everytime I need distortion. I also own a Dunlop Crybaby, and it works well with that. This pedal is very underrated. You don't hear much about Onerr. You mostly hear about Dunlop, Boss, DigiTech, ect. This was the only distortion pedal that the store had at the time, so I didn't have much of a choice. But despite my early thoughts about the pedal, I love it. The only thing I would change, would be the buzzing. If stolen or lost, I would probably buy another one. I need my distortion. // 8

DST-1 Distortion Reviewed by: hamerhead12345, on july 16, 2007

Purchased from: davids guitar loft

Ease of Use: The Onerr DST-1 Distortion pedal is a great pedal for a low cost. If you are low on money and need a good sounding distortion I would go with the DST-1 Distortion pedal. you can get great sounds out of it too. You can get nice creamy sounding distortion by having every nob on level 4. I prefer the creamy sound but if you're into heavy metal it can do that too. The manual is very easy to use it tells you what every nob does, like level tone and distortion. I find it easy to use because it only has 3 nobs. My pedal souds extremly well and I have never upgraded it. // 8

Sound: I am using my DST-1 Distortion pedal with a bad horsie2 wah pedal and an old Fender amp I've got it sounds great. This pedal isnt noisy unless you keep it on idiot setting the whole time. This pedal sounds great unless it is low on battery. I don't know if any artist I no use this pedal though. The distortion sond is great if you do what I said earlier and put every nob on 4. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This was my first pedal I've ever had. It is built like a tank. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it on stage.This pedal could get hit by a car and still work. I would use it in any gig without a backup. it's got a pretty long battery life too. And if you arn't into batterys it can havea 9volt ac adapter also. I would smack it on the ground as hard as I could and it wouldn't break. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard clasic and jam rock. This pedal can be used on most of the songs I play. I've Been playing 5 years. I own a px4d pandoras box and a Hamer a/t2 guitar. I like this product a lot and I have no regrets about it. If it were stolen or lost I would get this pedal again. I like everything about it accept for when I have to change the 9 volt battery. I compared it to many other pruducts like the dst-2, that distortion pedal I think has to many nobs and is too expensive for a minor sound change. I can't think of any improvements they could make for that pedal. So I give it two thumbs up. // 8

More Onerr reviews rating category latest review
+ HF-1 Hydrogen Flanger 8.1 Guitar Effects 09/14/2010