Sanpera I Review

8.5
 7.5
reviews (4) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Sanpera I Reviewed by: ~Shred Hero~, on august 31, 2009

Ease of Use: The Peavey Sanpera I is one of the two footswitches compatable with the Peavey Vypyr amps (30W version and up). It has four switches, along with an expression pedal. There are two modes: Main and Aux. Both modes allow you to Switch between your 3 banks, and your 4 channels within each bank. Switch 1 being channel one, Switch 2 being channel two, ect. ect. You can switch between the four channels of the bank simply by pressing one of the switches. To switch banks, you simply press 1 & 2 at the same time to enter bank select mode and then buttons 1, 2, or 3 for banks A, B, or C. The looper (which has about 30 seconds of loop time) can be activated by pressing buttons 3 & 4 at the same time. Within the looper, button 1 becomes "Stompbox" which allows you to turn on/off your stomp box effect, and button 2 becomes "Delay" which allows you to turn on and off your delay. Button 3 starts recording the loop as well as play it, and button 4 stops the loop or deletes it if pressed down for a few seconds. To Switch between "Main" and "Aux" you have to press down the expression pedal as you would a wah. However, it can be really difficult without taking off the bottom plate and unscrewing a screw located under the rocker which makes for less pressure required to switch modes. You will most likely have to slap it hard with your foot or by stomping on it. When in "Aux" Mode, the expression acts as a wah, unless your pitch-shifter effect is on, then it controls the pitch. When in "Main" mode, the expression pedal acts as a Volume control. In conclusion, there is a lot of features on this footswitch which can be really difficult to get the hang of for some people, and the amount of force required to switch between modes without doing the mod stated above, this isn't the most "basic" of footswitches. // 6

Sound: There isn't much here to discuss as far as sound. However the things I can discuss include: Volume control - the range on the volume is great to be honest. It has a full sweep, unlike my Boss FV-50H volume pedal which costs the same as the footswitch itself if purchased new. Wah - I was actually suprised with the wah. It had a better sweep than I expected. Sounds great with cleans, and good with distortion, however like most wahs, the wah stands out less and less the higher you are on the fretboard. Looper - the looper is a great feature to be honest. Whether it is to record a small part of a song such as a rhythm and play the lead over it, improvising, or creating a solo over a chord progression. The above three are satisfactory, seeing the footswitch was only $100. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The pedal has a "Cast Aluminum Construction and Rugged Switches" as Peavey States. Which, it does. The pedal is really sturdy, no worries if takes a tumble. Honestly, the weakest thing on the footswitch in my eyes is the Expression pedal, but all-in-all it seems like it will hold up. The pedal gets it's power from the amp itself, which means no batteries required, a win-win for gigging if one would choose this amp to gig with. // 9

Overall Impression: This footswitch is a must if you are a Peavey Vypyr owner (30W version and up of course). It has all the features you would need in a footswitch, plus more. This pedal was compared to a Sanpera II footswitch. In my honest opinion, the Sanpera II wasn't worth the money. It has a seperate volume which is convient, but it has a lot of storage space for user presets, which is something I don't need. However, I am not everyone so I suggest you try both out and see what fits your needs. Other than the hour or two it takes to get the hang of the footswitch, it's built to last, has a good sweep on both the volume and the wah, a looper, no batteries required, and it's convient. Definately check this out if you have a Vypyr. // 9

Sanpera I Reviewed by: oneblackened, on february 22, 2010

Ease of Use: Well, it's very easy to use when it's plugged into a Peavey Vypyr (30 or up only). It doesn't make its own tone, though, considering it's a foot controller. The banks of presets are easy to navigate (though these are the amp's, not the pedal's) and the other features are easy to enter (looper mode). I'd give this a 10, mainly because it does what it's supposed to do and it does it well. // 10

Sound: It doesn't really have its own sound, per se, as it's really only a foot controller. The Wah and Volume pedal are great - the Wah sounds better than my Ibanez WD7. The looper is very useful except it's very loud unless you rock the volume pedal back a bit (the shared foot treadle in main mode). The pitch shifter, when enabled on an amp preset, can be controlled by the foot pedal. Don't want to turn this into a Vypyr review, so let's leave it at this: the pedal sounds good with its four different sounds it unlocks. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely depend on this thing - it's built like a tank. The only thing that's not especially reliable is the cable staying plugged in. That's OK, though, it's not like it's doing a bunch of moving around. The chassis is made of aluminum. Seems like almost. // 8

Overall Impression: I play basically anything, and it suits it. Isn't that the point of a modeling amp? However, this is only a foot controller, but I digress. The only thing I really dislike about it is that it weighs a ton (probably 6 or 7 pounds alone). If it were stolen, I'd buy a new one except for the fact that I'll be trading my Vypyr in shortly. I really like its reliability and its sturdiness but I dislike its weight and the jack's looseness. I wish it had a more controllable looper level, but really not much else. // 9

Sanpera I Reviewed by: RockenChich, on may 14, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The ease of use on the Sanpera I is great! The buttons are a little hard to press but it's fine with me. To access the other features such as the bank selector and the looper you have to press two buttons at once. The foot pedal controls the volume and the Wha Wha/Pitch Shifter. To activate the Wha Wha/Pitch Shifter you have to press down on the pedal. For me it wouldn't Switch over no matter how hard I'd push on it. It was an easy fix though, after you take off the bottom panel there's a screw that presses against the button to activate the Wha Wha/Pitch Shifter. My screw wasn't even close to to button. I unscrewed it a bit and now it's perfect. // 7

Sound: I am using the Peavey Vypyr 30w and a Gibson Maestro Double Cutaway (bought for $118 with a starter pack). No extra noise at all, I'm happy to say. The volume is kind of tricky on the looper. After you end your loop it increases the sound of the loop. And getting the timing on pressing the button for the looper takes a little getting used to, but it comes with time. I can get sounds like Jack White, Tom DeLonge, Jimmy Page, and Eddy Van Halen. All the effects are great, but they're in the actual amp, not the pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a brick! I'd take it anywhere, anytime! The cord stays in place for me very well, and nothing is loose on it. The midi cord makes it more efficient to have, instead of having to have an extra power cord to plug in. And, it also is so small, I can fit it in the back of my amp, very convenient. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock, and it's great for both. I spend hours on just the looper alone, and then I add in the Wah Wah! I'd totally buy it again if it was lost or stolen. The only difference between the Sanpera I and the Sanpera II in my opinion is the tuner, the turning on and off of the effects, the manual switching, and the price. It has everything I want and need, completely satisfied with it. // 10

Sanpera I Reviewed by: Quaned, on october 11, 2010

Price paid: A$ 189

Purchased from: Guitar World

Ease of Use: Sound wise, its 100% depended on the amp.. If you want a review on sound, go check out a Peavey Vypyr review! Editing 'presets' may seem quite difficult at first, but it becomes quite simple later on! Firmware, again, depends on the amp. I'm pretty sure the latest firmware for the VYPYR (8/10/2010) is 1.70? Don't quote me though. // 7

Sound: Sound wise, its all with the amp. I'm using a Squier Strat and Ibanez RG170DX, and it sounds pretty good for what I've got. The effects seem to do the job, I'm not a very heavy effects user though, but I think the pitch shifter and Wah do a alright job. Imo, I reckon the Wah could use a bit of a tweak, as it sounds kind of thin and runny. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This things built like a tank! I would deffinately use this without a backup. The Wah sometimes screws up the amp, but I'm pretty sure its a firmware problem. As this thing is built like a tank, it has 5 years warranty. It is sometimes a little hard to Switch from main to aux mode though. // 9

Overall Impression: If this was lost/stolen, I would most likely either get another one, or look into getting a new amp, as VYPYRs do have reliability issues. It works great, as it has a volume pedal, and lets you Switch presets with ease. Definitely check this out if you have a VYPYR30+. // 9

More Peavey reviews rating category latest review
+ 6534+ 7.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/15/2014