Cactus Crunch Review

8.8
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Cactus Crunch Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 20, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Has standard gain and level knobs along with a bass and a treble knob to sculpt your tone a little bit. With these four settings you can get anything from screaming Overdrive to soft jazz with a little crunch. // 10

Sound: I use this pedal with my practice amp, a Fender Pro Junior, and mainly an American Standard Strat and an SG. Sounds great with both, but I generally use the amp to Drive my SG so I don't use it very much with that. With the strat it breaks up very nicely, and is very sensitive to your touch. If you play hard, you will get more breakup than if you play soft, just like an overdriven tube amp. I generally keep it on 3/4 gain, 3/8 level, 5/8 bass, and just under all the way up on treble. It sounds pretty friggin sweet. If you turn the gain all the way down on the pedal you can pretty much use it as a very simple EQ pedal. Great for blues and classic rock. Not gonna get metal sounds out of this guy though (sorry lamb of god fans). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm gonna have to give this a lower score because when I first got the thing, I set it up on a stool so I could play with the settings more easily and it fell off and broke. I had to send it back to Pedalworx where George, who is an awesome guy, fixed it up new for me. Ever since it's worked great, but I guess it can be pretty fragile. I don't use this pedal to gig hardly ever, so I can't really speak on that. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great match for anyone who plays on the lighter side of rock. Not suitable for hard rock or metal. The only way to get those types of sounds out of it is to turn the level waaay up, but then why not just turn up the amp? Mostly, I use this for practicing so that I don't blow out my wife and dog's ears. When I do play with this, I use a Dimebag Wah, this, a Keeley Java Boost, and a Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb. This complements all of these pedals rather well. I don't see how this would be stolen or lost, but if it was, I would certainly consider buying a new one, although I might venture into other territories instead. Overall highly recommended, but it is a little fragile. // 9

More Pedalworx reviews rating category latest review
+ Texas Two Step 9.1 Guitar Effects 04/26/2008