Chromatic Tuner Review

manufacturer: Planet Waves date: 05/13/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Planet Waves: Chromatic Tuner
The new Universal Chromatic Tuner from Planet Waves has something no other tuners have: a built-in stand that doubles as a bracket to hang the tuner from an acoustic guitar's soundhole.
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Chromatic Tuner Reviewed by: GoodGod, on may 13, 2008

Purchased from: Dave Snider's

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, turn it on, and go right ahead. What they did very well, was have a bracket that can either be used to stand it up on a table, or have it hook onto the soundhole of your guitar. The LED's are very bright, very easy to see in dark environments. Also, instead of a needle, it's a bar that moves across, so it's a lot easier to see in low-light environments. It doesn't always detect the note very fast, sometimes it takes it a second or two, so I'm docking 2 points. // 8

Sound: This picks up sounds pretty well, even with moderate interference. When at a jam session, I can usually tune over my band members' warm ups using the built-in mic. The tuner also has a 1/4" input jack, so you could use it at a gig when another band is playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd most likely depend on it, but probably wouldn't gig with it without a backup. It's very sturdy and well built. The buttons are some sort of rubber, and the case is made of molded plastic. I expect this to last me for some time. This is way sturdier than any other metronomes (The Seiko SAT500 and Korg GA-30) If I was to gig, I'd probably bring along a backup tuner, but I'd still be very surprised if this broke. // 9

Overall Impression: If this were lost/stolen I'd go right back, and get a Brand New one. It's so easy to use, and so durable, I don't think there's a better one for the price. I'd look for a guitar/bass version of the same thing, but if there isn't one available, I'd just get the chromatic version again. // 10

More Planet Waves reviews rating category latest review