Turbo Rat Review

manufacturer: Pro Co date: 05/08/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Pro Co: Turbo Rat
Feel the crunch and power of the distortion pedal designed to take you to new and unexplored heights.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Ease of Use: 9.6
 8.8
 9.7
 7.8
reviews (5) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Turbo Rat Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2004

Ease of Use: Very simple. Knobs: Distortion, Filter, Volume. Distortion: Is great sounding, i prefer to use it one my Crate GT 80(see review). This can go from a light buzz to a real heavy roar. Filter: Controls how sharp the distrtion is. Volume: Just control the level of volume, very self explanitory... This pedal (really a box) is very easy to use, setup your sound and step on the button, and wow you have distortion. // 10

Sound: This has a great sound. All is does it distort. It can make any sound from Zeppelin, to Metallica, to Iron Maiden. But it does have the kind of sound that sounds like clean with distortion masked over it. It's got a full sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is practically invincible. I have(purposley) dropped it on the stone floor, to show friends, and nothing has happened. It is protected by a half inch shell of steel. It is fairly heavy, but at least it wont fall apart. // 10

Overall Impression: This thing can change to any style of rock. I don't know about other styles, thought I don't doubt it can, but I don't play really any others. I have been playing this thing for about 7 or 8 months and I have played just about everything with it. The only thing is I have never seen another, the closest place I can buy one is About 50 to 70 miles away. I got this from my uncle for free because he didnt use it. Excellent! I would definitely get another if this was lost or stolen, and would recommend it to other people. // 10

Turbo Rat Reviewed by: woodenbandman, on february 20, 2006

Purchased from: Garage Sale

Ease of Use: Three knobs, each with their own label, I know I don't need a map! The filter knob is a bit weird, considering how it works. It's kind of like the pots on a guitar, only it takes treble away as you twist it to the right instead of adding it. The volume and distortion knobs work great. My unit is completely stock, to the best of my knowledge. // 10

Sound: I picked up this hot little box at a garage sale. When I got it, it was covered in duct tape, missing screws, and the battery plate was gone. The guy that I got it from seemed sad to part with it, probably because it had been through so much with him. The sound is consistantly great. Even though you can't really get that treble out the butt sound (at least not through my Roland Cube 60 bass amp), this little box will take you from classic rock rhythm all the way Nirvana' "Teen Spirit") rhythm sound, and, with a bit of gain from the amp, even some high octane grind a-la "For Whom The Bell Tolls." // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I picked this box up, the battery in it was so old that one of the connectors disconnected from the body of the battery. The guy claims that this box has served its purpose in countless practices, and in my experience it takes way fewer batteries than my Boss OS-2. I would chunk this and my Dunlop wah into my gig bag, hit the bus station, and go to a gig without a second though. This little box's steel coffin looks like it could hold a demented gorrilla. // 10

Overall Impression: I am first and formost a Queen fan. If I had 3 things I could save from a burning building, they would be Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Meadows Taylor. This box can turn a weedy strat copy into the red special with its tone knob, and its distortion can pull out tones reminiscent of The Prophet's Song, White Man, or Great King Rat. If this little box were stolen, lost, or broken, my first response would be to get another one, before anger or sadness. I believe that the owner's desciption accurately covered what I needed to know to buy this pedal. Simply put, "it's just this really nasty distortion pedal." I like everything about this box, especially the name. I really would like a 3 band EQ, but that would neccisate a bigger box, so it's cool. This box definitely gets a 10 all around! // 10

Turbo Rat Reviewed by: jfrusci, on july 08, 2005

Purchased from: Auvisa

Ease of Use: The Pro Co Turbo Rat is very very yeasy to use. Only that you have to do it's connect you guitar at the imput and a jack from output to input of amp, and push the button. You have to take care with the volume, sometimes it can be very high. // 10

Sound: The sound of this effects is great. I use it for all of my solos. It provide a really good sustain and a very dirty distortion. But Turbo Rat isn't a pedal for a solos. If you like Radiohead, for exaple, you can listen some Turbo Rat sounds from Thom York. I use it for a Red Hot Chili Peppers cover, Fortune Faded. The sound may be very dirty and litter clear with a lot of distorsion if you are not doing a solo or a riff, for exaple chords. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think that my Turbo Rat will go with me fore a lot of time. It's indestructible. // 10

Overall Impression: With my first band I play strong music. No metal, maybe more crossover music like Rage Against The Machine, Incubus, or Red Hot Chili Peppers, for exaple. It's fantastic sound if you want to do a powerful solo. // 10

Turbo Rat Reviewed by: vhhendrixcrazy, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: Moonlight Music

Ease of Use: The Turbo Rat is really easy and simple to use. There are three knobs: Distortion, Volume, and Filter. How easy could that possible be? There is also a button to turn the effect on. There was no manual when I purchased it. You can adjust the knobs however you'd like to have that perfect sound. // 10

Sound: It has a great rock-ish feel when I turn on the Turbo Rat. Though, it makes a small noise when I turn on the Turbo Rat while my amp is on. It's sort of like a hissing sound, and it sometimes gets annoying, but I could live with it. If the distortion sounds weak, it pretty much means my battery is going out and I probably need to replace it. Usually, I rock out playing those classic rock songs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this pedal for a while. I could use it when I jam with my friends. It's a great pedal to use at home, I think I would use a different pedal if I'm doing a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: This was my first guitar pedal/effect that I purchased; and my only one. I've been playing for about three years now, and I purchased the Turbo Rat when I was playing for a year and a half or so. I play rock n' roll and pop music. I own a black/white Squier and it's my only electric. I purchased the Turbo Rat at a small store, and I asked the employees which guitar distortion pedal to get. I knew nothing about pedals/effects; I was still a newbie at the time. One of the guys immediately recommended me the Turbo Rat and offered me $80 on it. I had my doubts and all, because it was used, had no manual, no package box, and was expensive. But I bought it anyway since they recommended it. To this day, I'm completely satisfied with the product, but I regret paying $80 for the used Turbo Rat when I know that now I could get a new one for cheaper. // 10

Turbo Rat Reviewed by: losing battle, on may 08, 2012

Ease of Use: It has three knobs that work in a semi logical function. Distortion, filter and volume. The filter is almost like a treble cut which is odd, still pretty easy to get a kick arse tone out of it. If your having some trouble try eq'ing your amp differently. // 8

Sound: I use my Gibson LP into a Boss Super Octave OC3 > Danelectro TO1 > Turbo Rat > Voodoo Lab Microvibe > BBE Two Timer > TC Electronics > BBE Sonic Stomp > ISP Decimator > Ampeg V50. Even by itself it can get pretty brutal on its own. With the rest of my chain it should classify as a war crime. It is absolutely the most heavy tone I have ever heard I occasionally start laughing at how over the top brutal this thing can get, when I turn my amp to 4 (the pedal is cranked in front of a 50 watt tube amp with no master volume knob) a slight application of a noise gate is a good idea. I will say this this pedal adds a lot and I do mean a lot of mids. If I am playing clean I will need to re-eq my amp if I'm planning on playing a clean set. While using this pedal I have my mids at 2 or 0. Its actually pretty nice having that nice heavy crunch of doom tone while not suffering from the obvious tone loss associated with scooping ones mids. I will say this though this pedal is pretty bleh if you use a solid state amp, if you are using a solid state I would look at something like a Visual Sound, Jekyll and Hyde it will more than likely sound better to your ears. If you have a tube amp this is an excellent choice and I highly recommend it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Heavy duty steel and what appears to be a very sturdy toggle switch I don't see this thing dying anytime soon, I might bring a spare to whack a drunk fan lol. I stubbed my toe on this thing and it hurt like hell. // 10

Overall Impression: For starters I wish this thing was better designed on the bottom. The four rubber stoppers make putting it on a pedal board an absolute nightmare due to a lack of surface area and its weight. I gave up on that completly. If you got it to stick to your board post how you did it I'm very curious here. Given that that is its only flaw outside of the odd power adapter this pedal is truely amazing. I have been playing for 8 years and I primarly play various sub genres of metal. Death thrash, classic, doo and it does pretty well across the board really. Haven't come up with a good stoner tone vut I'm lazy so I'll just buy or build a fuzz. If lost or stolen I would buy annother one because they are pretty reasonably priced. // 8

More Pro Co reviews rating category latest review