You Dirty Rat Review

manufacturer: Pro Co date: 08/28/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Pro Co: You Dirty Rat
The You Dirty RAT combines the sound of the garage with the spirit of innovation. This is the most classic sounding of all RAT distortion pedals. Think '60s garage rock. Think early punk. Think about the bands that changed the sound of rock 'n' roll.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.8
 8.3
 9.2
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
You Dirty Rat Reviewed by: Jonny02, on august 28, 2007

Ease of Use: Typical distortion pedal set up, three knobs: gain, volume and filter. The filter acts as the reverse of a treble/tone knob, ie as the knob is turned anti-clockwise the high end increases. Does take a bit of tweaking to get a good sound, I found the knobs to be very sensitive, one little dunt one way can totally change the overall tone. // 9

Sound: I mostly use this pedal as a lead boost on the dirty channel of my Orange Rocker 30. The Rocker is quite a darkly voiced amp and the Rat really emphasizes this, I can get a tone similiar to Josh Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age. I do use this pedal on the clean channel for rhythm sounds as well and would suggest that you set the filter knob quite low as this pedal can get very muddy. All in all is great sounding though, adapts to every rig differently with tweaking I've found. Can also cut through a live mix very well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Extremely sturdy and reliable, built like a tank. The battery consumption aint great though, I usually keep a few spare batteries at gigs just incase, this is the only pedal on my board not powered by a power supply so it's not a big concern for me. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a little of everything in my personal playing and found this pedal to be very versatile. IMO it prefers guitars with humbuckers, I've had better luck getting nice tones with humbucker guitars, for example I can get an amazing lead tone with my friends LP, but struggle more to get a really useable lead tone on my Strat, not that it can't be done. My one gripe with this pedal is muddiness that sometimes is hard to get rid of, again it can be done with tweaking, but I wouldn't describe this pedal as instantly satisfying. Overall it's great and has become an important part of my sound, but try thouroughly before you buy. // 9

More Pro Co reviews rating category latest review