Fuzz God II Review

7.5
reviews (3) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Fuzz God II Reviewed by: gumbilicious, on january 27, 2010

Purchased from: Humbucker Music

Ease of Use: One of the best things about this pedal is the option to keep it simple, you can just treat it like a fuzz pedal with 'volume' and 'fuzz', that is what I do most the time. So in it's most basic form, you can just treat this as a 2 knob conventional fuzz that is insanely easy to use. There is also a toggle switch for some extra gain(thunderbolt emblem) and another toggle switch for a high end bump(ear emblem) for a little bit of customization. Now the next best thing is when you get bored of just fuzz(like that ever happens) then you can also roll back on the 'sputter' control to get this great 'choked' sound. The sputter control basically makes the fuzz 'gate' by messing with a DC current on one of the transistors, but can be used to great effect. The is pedal also has a Wrath of God mode that engages an internal oscillator operating in the audio frequency range. The Wrath knob controls the frequency of this oscillator(think of a theremin). The way Wrath of God mode works is it 'parasitically' leaches off the signal in the fuzz to create odd sustain and pitch shifting effects that allow for a bunch of innovation. The package that all this is rolled into is incredibly customizable, with very easy access to controls, with an unparalleled intuitive sense that will have you using all these effects in no time. It can be difficult at first trying to 'tame' Wrath of God mode and sometimes the sputter knob gets 'stuck' on an are where it crackles alot. But it's still easy to use. // 8

Sound: I use a HSS strat through this most time. The cool thing about it is I love the sound of both single coils and humbuckers through the pedal, and you can tell the difference. But just in a classic fuzz role, I like this pedal, btw these version of the Fuzz God uses silicon diodes for it's clipping. The pedal does have a fairly smooth fuzz tone, with the option of breaking it up slightly with a rollback on the 'sputter' knob. I usually use this pedal for leads myself and I am usually inclined to use a boost and/or a Overdrive pedal in front of this fuzz to really kick it into feedback/sustain/ultra gain territory. This effect can get noisy with lots of gain through, like any other distortion pedal really. But if that is not enough noise for ya, go ahead and engage Wrath of God mode and start pulling strings off the fretboard and messing with the wrath knob for absolute guitar insanity. There is one annoying aspect of this pedal. If wrath of god mode is engaged, with the pedal being bypassed, then you will get a humming in your signal chain that will be making you think you have a bad cap in your amp or something. It's scarey the first time, but you quickly get used to checking for 'wrath' mode when you get a buzzy signal. Personally, I couldn't ask for anything more from a fuzz pedal. It has great fuzz and gnarly possibilities. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, alright. I love this pedal, but it is time to come clean. I am having some issues with it. The big one at first was the sputter knob is starting to crackly more and more. Lets get this out now, the sputter knob is attached to a DC voltage going to a transistor in the pedal, so when you tweak it it's SUPPOSED to crackle. No prob. My deal is that sometimes I'll get in at a setting and it won't stop crackling until you move it to a more 'clean' position. And also the crackling is getting louder. It's making it hard to even use the sputter control. Second, and this one just started recently, I am having some kinda output trouble with the pedal. I can engage it just fine, but when I bypass it, sometimes it cuts out my whole signal. I can do a quick double tap on the 'bypass' switch to engage and bypass it again real quick and that usually gets it working fine again. But I don't expect to have to worry about stuff like that with such a high dollar pedal. Might need to get it checked out, but Red Witch is out of New Zealand. For those in america who can't find their own hometown on a map, New Zealand is really really far away and thus shipping it back for repair wouldn't be cost effective. So while there has been no catastrophic failure on this device, it is getting harder to use with age(a little over a year old) // 5

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for a person who wants a great regular silicon fuzz with a few more options on it to spice up some riffs and solos. This thing will make noise for all you crazy noise freaks out there. I have been playing for about a dozen years or so and this fuzz is one of my more favorite I have played, but I wasn't a big fuzz fan in particular and mainly use this for 'over the top' solos. If lost of stolen I would probably buy that WMD fuzz with the bit crusher built in, as the WMD looks like an even crazier version of a psycho fuzz. So, all-in-all I Love Love Love the tone of this pedal. I think the options are great and are particularly useful for the eclectic rock based music I play. But if you are thinking about this pedal, be aware it can be temperamental and may need regular upkeep to work consistantly. // 8

Fuzz God II Reviewed by: Mark Dally, on january 06, 2011

Price paid: A$ 299

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

Ease of Use: I found the Fuzzgod2 very easy to use and very versatile, until the footswitches began to seriously malfunction after 3 months of normal usage, which I will get back to shortly. However the Fuzzgod does have a great sound. By engaging the 2nd footswitch you can get very interesting thick fuzztones with suboctave sounds or strange thermin like tones that creep in as the signal weakens. The lighter end of the spectrum is much like any fuzz pedal but the crackling signal noises can sound nice. // 4

Sound: The pedal can give a great thick 'Melvins' style fuzz or a nice smooth 'Smashing Pumpkins' fuzz + a great warbly wobbly fuzz with chaotic therimin like noises. It is incredibly noisy when not playing while the 2nd footswitch is engaged, which can be quite annoying but can be utilised to make some very interesting sounds Due to being a bit of a pedalgeek I have not invested a great deal of fundage towards my guitar/amp setup and am running through a Squire Tele and Behringer amp, however I find them both more than adequate for my playing syle. // 6

Reliability & Durability: And now for the dissapointing part: The footswitches began to develop serious issues similar to those those experienced by the previous Fuzzgod2 reviewer. I experienced great difficulties with the pedal completely cutting out the whole guitar signal after about 3 months usage. Either footswitch could cause this problem, it would happen when simply engaging or disengaging the pedal or also by enagaging or disengaging the 2nd footswitch, and would leave you with nothing but awkward silence. Within a few weeks the problem worsenned to the point of not being able to get through playing a whole song without the pedal malfunctioning. I have now sent the unit for repair but have opted to replace it with a Z Vex Fuzzprobe as I have entirely lost Faith in my Fuzzgod. It is a damn shame as the pedal SOUNDED awesome I was also very dissapointed with Red Witches policy on 'Faulty' goods and was not even offered a renewal of warranty and was merely offered the return of the fixed unit. // 1

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar forover 20 years and play mostly alternative rock with a lot of effects. The pedal sounded perfect for what I wanted it for but I would definately prefer a Z Vex Fuzzprobe as it has a larger range of sounds which are more controlable with the foot operated theremin. Although the Fuzzgod sounds fantastic, if it were stolen I would simply laugh at the poor bastard who inherited its problems. // 2

Fuzz God II Reviewed by: Gnar Shred, on july 16, 2012

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty versatile and you can get a pretty good sound out of it. It's a very powerful fuzz, very simple to use. As far as I know it hasn't been modified what so ever. // 9

Sound: I'm running this pedal through an Orange TH-100 head and an Emperor 4x12 cab and playing through a Godin Freeway Classic. It can get very noisy once you push down the "Wrath Of God" switch. It's an oscillator so you can make a bunch of crazy noises with it. This pedal always sounds great. There's an Overdrive mode if you need a little extra boost. You can probably get a variety of tones out of it, good stoner metal/doom tone such as Electric Wizard or Buried At Sea. The fuzz is excellent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very dependable, it gives me the exact tone I want. But the "Sputter" knob is starting to give out, and I have heard of people having to get theirs repaired. Of course I would use this on a gig without a back up. It's the only one I own. // 7

Overall Impression: I am in a doom band and this pedal works excellent for it. I have been playing for about 6 years. I own a Big Muff and this pedal out classes for sure. I knew what I was getting into so no questions were really asked. If I could find a deal as good as I got the pedal for I would buy it again for sure. But 250 bucks is a lot of money for a fuzz. I love how fuzzy this pedal is! There is nothing I can think of that I hate about it. My favourite feature is probably the Overdrive switch because it gives me that extra boost. It beats getting an Overdrive pedal for that extra boost. I only compared it to my Big Muff. But this pedal does exactly what I want and sounds great. I wish this pedal just had a better tone control like the Big Muff does. // 9

More Red Witch reviews rating category latest review