Ruby Fuzz Review

review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Ruby Fuzz Reviewed by: kmister, on june 14, 2012

Price paid: A$ 170

Purchased from: NZ Rockshop

Ease of Use: This pedal is very simple to use, two controls, volume and fuzz. One switch. The only thing specific to this pedal is the rechargeable battery which is in itself self explanatory. The input and output are on the back of the pedal which makes for shorter cable lengths. Also unusual is the power input is found on the left side. // 10

Sound: Played this pedal through a Vox AC50 using a Fender Strat and Seymour Duncan 59' and a Epiphone Supernova. It sounded decent through both but has a very noticeable volume drop, I will elaborate on this later. I did not get a chance to attempt to achieve any specific tones or use any combination of effects with it before it stopped working. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where my unit really drops the ball. It has a big volume drop which makes it unusable with my band, I emailed Ben from Red Witch about it and he said there is an internal trim pot I can tweak to get it sounding right. It is found by removing the five screws but I have not had time to do this yet. I went to remove the screws but I thought I'd try it first. Now the thing has no sound when engaged what-so-ever. It does not charge now either, the light just changes colours a lot but does not work without a 9v adapter. // 2

Overall Impression: I play alternative rock and was searching for a nice fuzz pedal but unfortunately I got this. Perhaps it is a dud unit, maybe it's fixable, but now this will sit in it's box on a shelf with the other pedals I have no use for. I compared this to many widely used fuzz box's like the Big Muff and Blue Box in the store but to my ears this sounded a little smoother, which is what I like. So don't let my bad experience put you off, just don't open it and void your warranty like I did! // 4

More Red Witch reviews rating category latest review