CHR-304 Chorus Review

2.5
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
CHR-304 Chorus Reviewed by: GaryBillington, on december 10, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This pedal doesn't come with a manual, so you have to work things out for yourself, but really it couldn't be easier to figure out. It's got 3 knobs, Rate, Time & Depth. You turn them & the noise changes... But not much. You have to turn at least 2 of the knobs fairly significantly one way or the other to make a worthwhile change, although the depth one does seem to have more impact on your sound than the other two when turned alone. Actually using it couldn't be easier - the only reason to mark it down is because of the question "How easy is it to get a good sound out of it?". The key part of the question being "good" sound. This isn't possible. // 2

Sound: I played around with this pedal for a quite while trying to find a usable chorus sound and failed. The best thing I can say about the sound is that it is vaguely chorus like. It's not a very nice chorus like tone, but it is similar to what you'd expect from a chorus pedal. The trouble is, adding this pedal to your signal chain will completely kill any tone you previously had. The rest of this section is not about having the chorus effect turned on, just what the pedal does to your signal when it is switched off - even though it claims to be "true bypass". My main setup is a Gibson Les Paul Studio playing into a Vox AC4TVH & V112TV cab with a few pedals in-between. As soon as I plugged this pedal in I noticed that even with the volume turned down on the amp to get it's nice clean sound with no effects on, it was quite well distorted. I then tried changing all sorts of settings elsewhere to get rid of the distortion, but the only way of achieving this was by using a single coiled guitar (Fender MIM Telecaster) with the volume turned down halfway - and even then although the tone cleaned up a bit, my sound was so badly affected I couldn't bear to listen to it. Plugged my LP back in, the distortion came back. Even when I have my Overdrive pedals switched on, their tone is ruined whenever this allegedly true-bypass pedal is plugged in. I eventually removed it from my effects chain so I could get my usual sound - although a bit of chorus is nice, getting is with this pedal is not worth the impact to any other sound you try making. // 1

Reliability & Durability: It's made of metal (by Belcat I believe) so I'd expect it to last reasonably well, which is a shame. I'd be far happier stomping this pedal to pieces. Even the knobs feel fairly solid, so they'll probably last as well. I haven't opened it up to look inside, so I can't comment on how the circuitry will last, but I'd Imagine that is as good as any other cheap pedal - you could buy one & it'll last a lifetime, another supposedly identical pedal could die within minutes. That's just the nature of cheap pedals. But would I use it on a gig without a backup? Hell No! This pedal needs to be kept as far away from people's ears as possible - I wouldn't even take it to a gig as my backup. // 3

Overall Impression: I bought this pedal with low expectations - and I was still disappointed. I've bought quite a few cheaper make pedals (Behringer, Joyo, Artec) for the effects I don't use very often, and have always been pleasantly surprised by how good they are. I guess sooner or later I was bound to make a bad purchase, and this was probably the worst purchase I have ever made. In 25 years of guitar playing, I have never found a product this bad. If this were lost I would be mildly annoyed as I wouldn't be able to get revenge on it for the time I wasted attempting to make it sound good. If it were stolen I would hope it causes as much pain to the thief's ears as it caused to mine.

// 1

More Rockburn reviews rating category latest review
+ Vintage Strat 5.6 Electric Guitars 08/30/2010