Banshee Talkbox Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 07/25/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Banshee Talkbox
Bringing a cool, new twist to the outdated generation of complicated and risky talk boxes, the Banshee is a unique new product that gives classic rock touches to the 90's players. Although "talk boxes" have been used in the making of hit music (Aerosmith, Frampton, Joe Walsh, etc) for years, many guitar players simply have not tried them because of their complicated and potentially damaging setup.
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 9.2
 9.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Banshee Talkbox Reviewed by: freemind12, on january 21, 2006

Ease of Use: It's fairly easy to use although if youve never used one or seen one before you may be wondering what it is and does! Although concidering the old rigs for them this is pretty simple: plug in line; strap the tube to a mic stand (with the provided strap) pop the end of the tube in your mouth and talk away. Only 3 knobs output, tone and gain: easy! The manual was easy to understand and to the point. // 7

Sound: I am running a Vintage Metal Raider axe thrugh my Talkbox and the amp doesn't matter as the sound doesnt go through it! It sounds great really nice gain on it too. I must say it's hard to replicate some sounds of your favourite artists as you dont know how they are shaping their mouth but thats not to do with the hardware. Good enough for anyone beginner up to pro. Only thing I have to complain about is that it seems to filter pinch harmonics out dunno why that is, but yu really don't need to do them in Talkbox riffs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Built like a tank, it doesn't look like its gunna break anytime soon. I would gig with it no worries without a backup (even if I could afford a backup). // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock/hard rock most of the time in a band. I use a Vintage Metal Raider axe, through a Marshall 100DFX, I also have a Dunlop CryBaby. This Talkbox is great for this style it gives your playing a new dimention and very, very few people own one. It also makes you stand out a bit. A few complaints. You look quite silly using one. I tend to dribble when I use it I can't help it and it is extremly irritating and embarassing! Mine came with a europian plug adaptor so I have to use a convertor however it at least it came with one unlike some pedals (Crybaby). If this was stolen I would deffinatly buy another one expensive but worth it I think. The only other talkboxes I know of are the Danelectro Free Speech which is really for beginners and I've heard is not very good. and the Dunlop Heli TalkBox Which is more expensive over 200 I think and you can only use it with stacks unless your into taking your amp apart and rewiring it (which surprising they suggest). This was really the only option for me it wasnt for beginners and cheap and nasty and it wasn't for pro with stacks and pockets full of cash. Hope this helped! // 9

Banshee Talkbox Reviewed by: Tool_46n2, on december 27, 2007

Purchased from: Paradise

Ease of Use: It works just like a stompbox. A lot of people told me talkboxes were fairly hard to set up and I could risk blowing my amp, but with this one the risk is not there. Simply plug your guitar into it, and have a microphone next to it. It's pretty loud without a mic for practicing. The only problems are that there is no way to shut it off, it comes with an adapter, and the only way it turns on or off is plugging in or pulling out the cord, but you never have to buy batteries. Also, you can't use it with any other effects that is dissapointing. // 10

Sound: It sounds great, aside from my crappy cable that has a little crackle in it sometimes. With a good cable it sounds perfect. It has a built in pre amp and a decently loud one at that. It takes some getting used to but you can make words with it. If you're just looking for that Talkbox wah sound, it's not in short supply! This is one of the best talkboxes out there according to several opinions I'd gotten before buying. After buying I can't disagree. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's heavy, got slide-proof stoppers on the bottom of it, it's already a stompbox so it's made to be stepped on, I don't see it breaking from a small drop. Definately gig safe and dependable. I haven't had mine for too long so I can't tell you for sure it isn't going to break, but I can tell you that it is not likely. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall it does what I wanted it to. It's damn close to the Framtone and cheaper. If you have the money for this, it's a definate buy. If it were stolen or broken I'd definately buy it again. You get what you pay for. This Talkbox, as with all, work for all kinds of music. I play a lot of classic rock, and a lot of metal. It's great just to use for a Classic Wah. It's the most versatile kind of wah invented. // 10

Banshee Talkbox Reviewed by: Goldtop11, on july 25, 2012

Ease of Use: The Banshee is a fairly easy to use pedal. It has Output, Tone and Distortion knobs as well as a line out to an external speaker. You simply plug you're guitar into is like any other pedal and run a cable to your amp like any other pedal. When you switch the effect on it cuts the signal to your amp and instead runs noise up the tube and into your mouth where the microphone is. Rocktron did a great job with this pedal by taking the iffy and complicated traditional way of hooking up a talk box and made it very easy. The only hit the Ease of Use takes is that it's a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to effectively position the tube on the mic stand, in your mouth and to the microphone. There are times that you can accidentally twist your head or mouth a certain way and cut the sound out right. This is not really the pedals fault but I do suggest that you practice with this pedal a lot before yo play live. // 8

Sound: This pedal provides a very cool talking effect. Basically you use your mouth to form vowel shapes and words and the guitar produces sound instead of your vocal chords. This pedal does a great job of accomplishing Peter Frampton solos as well as "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith and "Hair Of The Dog" by Nazareth. The one thing I must say against it is that it is kind of hard to make out words or anything with pedal. My band and I do a cover of "Do You Feel Like We Do" by Framton, and I can say "Do you feel like I do?" and everyone understands it and cheers. Any other phrases in the song such as "I want to thank you" and "That's alright" just sound like gibberish. It's also very hard to say "Sweet Emotion" like in the beginning of the Aerosmith song and have it come out right. These aren't deal breakers at all, just keep in mind that if you're buying this expecting to talk with your audience or anything with it like Framton does, this talk box doesn't have the clarity of upper end ones. However if you're just looking for the normal talk box sound done by simply opening your mouth and closing it like in Living On A Prayer, this is the pedal you want. Also on a side note, this pedal is very distorted. It think this is what contributes to it's lack of clarity, but I also don't know how well it would work if it didn't have as much distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this pedal for about 2 or so years and haven't had any problems out of it. It's in a metal casing and seems to be built very solidly. This tube will probably need to be replaced at some point, but this is to be expected since it's a rubber tube. You should be able to Pick up a tube that worked at your local hardware store if the original ever got really nasty or cracked or anything. // 8

Overall Impression: I am really impressed with this pedal. It makes a talk box very easy to use and approachable to the every day guitarist without breaking the bank or running a complex amp set up. While it is not the absolute best on the market, any other competitors require one and a lot of the times both of those problems. It's also worth mentioning that this thing can double as a practice amp if you have a guitar cab to plug it into. This pedal is an absolute showstopper live because no one really uses talk boxes anymore. (At least in my local gigging circuit). Everytime I use this thing the crowd is stunned and loves it, so it very much so gets the job done. If your looking for a really unique and usable guitar effect and want to take a stab at some of those famous talk box riffs from over the years, you can't go wrong with this pedal. // 10

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Hush Super C 4.2 Guitar Effects 05/03/2013