Deep Blue Chorus Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 05/22/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Deep Blue Chorus
What is a guitar effects tool chest without a chorus? In a word: lacking. A chorus unit is standard gear in every player's arsenal. With a ton of chorus units to choose from, Rocktron now makes the choice a little easier with the Deep Blue Chorus pedal.
 Ease of Use: 7
 8.6
 8.8
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Deep Blue Chorus Reviewed by: TokyoPartyboy, on may 22, 2008

Purchased from: thomann.de

Ease of Use: It has a on/off Switch and 3 knobs: Rate, Depth and Intensity. The Rate-knob controlls the speed of the modulation, this poti works logarythmical. Depth and Intensity are very confusing at the beginning, because they appear to have the same function. Actually it's like that: depth controlls how much the signal is detuned periodically and Intensity is just a mix knob. When you figured out that you can get absolutely different sounds when you use both depth and intensity, it's great to use. // 7

Sound: I use a Fender Standard Telecaster and a Peavey Classic 50 212, I have the Deep Blue Chorus in the effect loop. It's very noisy in front of the amp, so make sure you have a effect loop and put it there! There, it's quiet like a graveyard unless you turn the intensity past 4 o'clock. You can get 3 main sounds out of it (and everything in between): no detuning, but very thick chorus effect (low depth, high intensity) Very detuned, but transparent (high depth, low intensity). Leslie like sound (rate past 3 o'clock) The sound of the pedal is good in both clean and lead channel. Searing high-gain solos sound stunning with this pedal and high intensity/low rate. I'd have rated it 8, but there's something missing: Stereo mode. I really recommend trying it in stereo mode. You don't need a second amp, just run the second output through the PA. The effect becomes crystal clear. If I die, I want to be burried with this pedal running in stereo mode. It's absolutely beautiful how great it sounds! 10 points, no argue. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have it since 6 weeks, played it often and gigged with it. I got no complaints. I can't say anything about the battery lifetime because I use a power adaptor. The case is made of aluminium and appears very strong to me. As I didn't have any problems with it I don't bring a backup. Be careful if you use it with a battery: It mutes if the battery is emty! // 9

Overall Impression: I really like this pedal and I'm lucky I bought this and not one that costs twice as much. With 66 euro it was really cheap, and for that price you won't find a better analog or digital chorus. I think it goes well with any kind of music. Only thing is that the poti-knobs look cheap, but I can Live with that. // 9

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Reaction Hush 7.4 Guitar Effects 07/24/2014