Hush IICX Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 06/09/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Hush IICX
The IICX is a two-channel, 1U, rackmount processor powered via an external adapter, with both inputs and outputs on unbalanced, quarter-inch jacks. A high input impedance of 470k(omega) means that electric guitars can be plugged directly into the unit if required.
 Ease of Use: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Hush IICX Reviewed by: serbusfish, on march 28, 2007

Ease of Use: The Hush IICX is a noise reducer and gate all in 1 unit. It is actually much easier to use than it looks. Mine didn't come with a manual but I was able to download one from the Rocktron website. The Hush features 2 channels so you can use it with 2 amps at the same time. It has 2 knobs for each channel, and a few switches which let you adjust the speed of the the fade out. Downside is that it doesnt't come with a footswitch, but I can't see myself ever having this thing turned off. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Dean ML X with a Randall Warhead Combo amp. I'm using a Boss MT-2 as a boost, and this gives me a hell of a lot of noise. My setup goes guitar > MT-2 > hush > amp. The Hush completly silences the noise made by the metal zone. It's fantastic, I did have an ISP decimator pedal but in my opinion the HUSH is much better. The Hush doesnt't alter my tone at all, it just cuts out all the background noise, hum, and hiss. When I switch to the clean channel it doesnt't affect the sound at all, some noise reducers/gates cut off your notes once you Switch to cleans but not with the Hush. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty solid, these units aren't made anymore as Rocktron now make the Hush super C, which I've heard is not as good as the older Hush units. It is very durable and I would trust it at a gig and would use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for just over 2 years and I play high gain metal, Pantera, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, In Flames, etc. My high gain setup results in a lot of noise, but thankfully the Hush keeps all my gear in check and doesnt't affect my tone at all. If it was stolen I would be pissed as these things are quite difficult to get hold of. If you have a very noisy setup definatly try and get hold of one of these units, they work really well and leave your tone intact. // 10

Hush IICX Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on june 09, 2015

Ease of Use: Luckily, Mr. Hersh (thanks man!) at Daddy's Used Junky Store, got me the manual for operating these two great Noise Reduction units. With the manual, it's easy to figure out what each knob can do. Since it's analog, you don't have to deal with editing or worrying about storing any data. So this unit needs no updating either, just plug in and let your ears be your guide. Once you got it set to your liking, you enjoy unaltered tone and sonic resilience that only a Hush Rocktron unit can deliver. Much better than a Rocktron Super C. // 10

Sound: I bought two from Daddy's Used Junky Music Store back in 1997. I put these babies in my rack, before my BBE Sonic Maximizers. All the hiss was taken out of my signal and has a gate type feature that is perfectly sensitive and has light indicators to let you visually see how much you are applying to your signal.  In many ways this is Rocktrons best noise reduction ever made, you can clean up your sound with out altering you ideal tone, just set it to where you won't falsely trigger the gate and you are set for great sound in the studio or stage. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As stated, I've had both units since 1997 and they have never failed me while recording or live on stage.  From my guitar it goes to a: Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, Boss 7 band EQ, VHT Valvulator I, DigiTech RP-12, DigiTech RP-1, another VHT Valvulator I, Hush IICX, BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer, two DOD 32 band EQ's, Hush IICX, BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer, Behringer 1124P Feedback Destroyer (for Parametric EQ reasons), Monster 2500 Power Conditioner, ETA Power Conditioner with some EBTech Hum Eliminators for a totally noise free / immaculate / pristine sound and Monster / Planet Wave cables. // 10

Overall Impression: I play guitar since 1978: thrash, speed metal, 1980's hair metal, blues, neo-classical- metal / shred guitar, classic rock (1960's, 1970's, 1980's) and instrumental guitar music. I've tried DBX and other noise reduction units, many tend to take out frequencies, the gates are not sensitive and close way too soon. This unit responds perfectly with all the over 500 + presets from my arsenal of effects patches. There is nothing to hate about this device. This device will do wonders inside the effects loop of an amp. If it were lost or stolen, I would go out looking for another Hush IICX exclusively. // 10

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Reaction Hush 7.5 Guitar Effects 07/24/2014