Hush IICX Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 03/28/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron's Hush system has been around for a number of years, and although patented, it is broadly similar to the system used by Symetrix and Drawmer in their own DNR (Dynamic Noise Reduction) processors, in that it combines a downward expander and a dynamic filter. The IICX is a two-channel, 1U, rackmount processor powered via an external adaptor, with both inputs and outputs on unbalanced, quarter-inch jacks. A high input impedance of 470k(omega) means that electric guitars can be plugged directly into the unit if required.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.7
 9.8
 9.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Hush IICX Reviewed by: serbusfish, on march 28, 2007

Ease of Use: The Hush IICX is a noise reducer and gate all in 1 unit. It is actually much easier to use than it looks. Mine didn't come with a manual but I was able to download one from the Rocktron website. The Hush features 2 channels so you can use it with 2 amps at the same time. It has 2 knobs for each channel, and a few switches which let you adjust the speed of the the fade out. Downside is that it doesnt't come with a footswitch, but I can't see myself ever having this thing turned off. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Dean ML X with a Randall Warhead Combo amp. I'm using a Boss MT-2 as a boost, and this gives me a hell of a lot of noise. My setup goes guitar > MT-2 > hush > amp. The Hush completly silences the noise made by the metal zone. It's fantastic, I did have an ISP decimator pedal but in my opinion the HUSH is much better. The Hush doesnt't alter my tone at all, it just cuts out all the background noise, hum, and hiss. When I switch to the clean channel it doesnt't affect the sound at all, some noise reducers/gates cut off your notes once you Switch to cleans but not with the Hush. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty solid, these units aren't made anymore as Rocktron now make the Hush super C, which I've heard is not as good as the older Hush units. It is very durable and I would trust it at a gig and would use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for just over 2 years and I play high gain metal, Pantera, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, In Flames, etc. My high gain setup results in a lot of noise, but thankfully the Hush keeps all my gear in check and doesnt't affect my tone at all. If it was stolen I would be pissed as these things are quite difficult to get hold of. If you have a very noisy setup definatly try and get hold of one of these units, they work really well and leave your tone intact. // 10

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Hush Super C 4.2 Guitar Effects 05/03/2013