Hush Super C Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 05/03/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Hush Super C
I'd definitely recommend the Hush Super-C as a simple and effective tool to plug in, set up and then leave it alone. It is a very effective, high quality piece of kit that is transparent enough that you don't hear any "processing" but you just get quiet and clean operation even in higher gain situations.
 Ease of Use: 9
 4.2
 8.3
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Hush Super C Reviewed by: AuraFX, on may 03, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The Hush Super C is pretty simple to set up. It has a noise gate and a noise "suppressor" (the hush system) to get rid of hiss and high gain microphonic squeal etc. The front controls are basically a hush mode on or off, the amount of "hush" process, the gate threshold and then a level (-10 or +4 standard options). In terms of editing it's not much simpler than that. That's a bonus if you're more of a plug and play sort and hate spending weeks dialling in patches and options and are just using it for a guitar rig - I guess it's a major down point if you want to tweak every last setting though. There was no manual with my second hand unit but I downloaded it from the Rocktron website, it was fairly basic, but then so is the unit set up. // 9

Sound: I'm using this in the loop of a Marshall JVM410H which is known to be pretty noisy on high gain channels even with your valves replaced and various tweaks and mods. It's just built that way and to be honest I like having too much gain on tap. I have always had a gate or noise suppressor pedal in my pedalboard set up but I figured as I was getting a bit more professional and had a rackspace spare on my rig, I'd get a higher end unit to try and clean up with a gate and some noise control. To be honest it was between this and the ISP Decimator G-String rack unit. The choice was down to two things - cost, given that this was a nearly brand new Hush Super C going cheap on eBay and the Decimator rack was 6 times the cost was the main thing. The second was the Decimator tracks well but you have to really be using a wireless system with the first signal inpoint being the Decimator. That's really awkward with my particular pedalboard and rig set-up as I already have my guitar going first into a TC Helicon Voicelive 2 to control Harmony for my singing, so it would mean another set of 30ft cabling between the rig and my pedalboards (if you use a wireless rack system though I Imagine this particular issue is not one you'll have). The gate is very effective on the Hush Super C. Once you get the settings right, it works on all channels, from clean 1 green to mode 4 red on the JVM410H. In fact the only thing I have to tweak is when I use a guitar with particularly HOT pickups as that tends to leave the gate open on the milder setting. This is a bit of a pain but it's part of having a rack gate in I suppose. Although there is the Hush Ultra which is a midi-controllable version of the Super-C so you can have multiple settings for different equipment - I didn't know about that which might be more useful but it looks a lot more expensive. The Hush settings I've heard are not as good on the Super-C compared to the original Hush models and are supposedly inferior to the Decimator G-String but to be honest it does what I need it to. I use top quality cables and an effects switching system, power conditioner and shield all my guitars etc so there's very little unwanted noise already. I just use this setting to clean up some of the signal and tbh it makes everything sound a little tighter and cleaner and it totally silences the hum. I think some people forget that most of the noise comes from the cables and power set up and some high gain will always have noise. But to get the cleanest signal you can, the Hush works really well. I like it because it's simple and I'm a useless engineer and like things like this to have as few controls as possible! If you're a technical sort and want to play with every option and tweak every parameter, none of these are what you're after - I guess you'll be needing a traditional gate and noise eliminator with more options on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like most higher end rack equipment it's a lot better made than the cheaper pedal versions. Unlike a lot of rack gear though the Super-C has a separate 'wall-wart' power transformer and it is not internal with an IEC power connector. This is a bit of a pain as most of my rack is powered by a Furman distributor, and you have to have a separate socket out and more cabling and room for the giant external power adapter - but Rocktron say this is for both cooling purposes and to reduce noise from internal power transformers. I don't know enough to say if this makes a difference, but it does mean you have a rack that doesn't get HOT - which probably improves it's lifespan - but then you have a flimsy 9v transformer cable dangling around unlike your shielded IEC cabling. I'd have preferred an internal transformer just for ease of set up and space requirements but hey maybe the engineers know more than dumb guitarists like me - so I won't argue with them! // 8

Overall Impression: I play an electronic/rock crossover and so I tend to move through a lot of different modes on the amp and use a lot of different pedals and rack fx. For the high gain modes I really wanted a high end gate to shut down squeal without cutting off notes and the noise suppression for the slight hiss when you have about 10 pedals engaged was handy. I'd definitely recommend the Hush Super-C as a simple and effective tool to plug in, set up and then leave it alone. It does need some tweaking if you have major set up changes and occasionally between guitar output levels, but mostly it is a very effective, high quality piece of kit that is transparent enough that you don't hear any "processing" but you just get quiet and clean operation even in higher gain situations. I've used most of the pedal gates out there and they don't compare. I've not heard the ISP Decimator G-String rack in use but given the price difference and the need for looping in and out of the ISP, the Rocktron is better for me. If one ever came up on eBay at a sensible price I might try out the ISP or even the Rocktron Hush Ultra (for the programming patch ability) but if that doesn't happen, I'm happy with the Super-C. Video from YouTube:

// 8

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Guitar Silencer Noise Reduction 5 Guitar Effects 12/13/2012