Metal Planet Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 04/30/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Metal Planet
Equipped with a 4 band EQ specifically designed for guitar distortion with separate level and distortion controls, the Metal Planet allows for a wide range of tones from scooped heavy metal tones to more modern rock tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Ease of Use: 9.4
 8.5
 9.5
 7.5
reviews (5) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Metal Planet Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2005

Ease of Use: I just recieved this from the owner of GHS. He lives in my town and likes to give me free stuff, but anyway he wanted me to to try this pedal out and I must say its freaking sweet. It's so easy to get a good sound out of it it even makes my Marshall Micro Stack sounds sweet with its distortion. It has a 4 EQ's on it and it just makes the distortion coming out of it sound just the way you wan it to plus its really durable and has a easy to get to battery compartment on it which makes it easy to change the battery. Anyway I just want to say this pedal is sweet. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Marshall Micro Stack with it and it sounds kick ass. It makes my 9volt Mircro Stack sounds like a 12 watt. The distortion always sounds great on it. I can get the sound of any artist with distortion using it. It's just a distortion pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can always depend on it because its easy set up and easy to change the batter and of course I'd use it on a gig without a back up, it's really durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk-metal and this thing is exactly what I was looking for when it comes to distortion. I've been playing for 4 years and I own a Gibson SG. A Marshall Half Stack and a 100 w head, a Marshall Micro Stack, many different efects pedals. No questions before I got this its sweet. If it were stolen or lost I'd for sure go buy it again. I love everythign about it and hate nothing about it. My favorite feature are the 4 EQ's. If there was anything I wish it had was more effects 'cause I love as many pedalsas I can get. // 10

Metal Planet Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2005

Ease of Use: This thing is incredibly easy to use. Within minutes I was able to make my guitar sound like the guitar in Alkaline Trio and The Darkness. Everything on this pedal is well worth the money. // 10

Sound: I own a Peavey Backstage amp that does not have very good sound quality, but this pedal made it sound great. The distortion is very easy to control and you can quickly make your guitar sound like a number of different bands such as The Darkness, Blink 182, Alkaline Trio, Black Sabbath, and a ton of others. Basically, if you want distortion and to play a wide variety of music, this is the pedal for you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've kicked this pedal around the room and nothing was affected. I would definitely use this on a gig without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good effect pedal for any type of rock distortion. I prefer this pedal to my Danelectro Fabtone any day. The pedal looks and sounds great and it is very easy to use. I had looked at several other distortion pedals before this one, and I knew I had to get this one the minute I turned it on. // 10

Metal Planet Reviewed by: slayerific, on december 20, 2007

Ease of Use: This pedal is awesome. It has controls for highs, low, and mids, obviously but it also has a control that adjusts the mid frequency. Getting the battery out is a little difficult, but that is this pedal's only major problem. This comes with a manual but I didn't use it, I just adjusted my settings on my own. // 10

Sound: I use this with my Ibanez RG 220b, into a Line 6 Spider II (Spiders are shit no matter what don't ever get one.) This pedal along with my Dimarzio X2N pickup are what give me a good sound. The distortion sounds far better than any of the Spider's distortions. With this pedal you can get settings ranging from AC/DC rock, to Death Metal, with all of them sounding good. As of right now I have the mids boosted to give me an early Megadeth, early Metallica sound, however with the turn of a few dials I can get my sound close to Cannibal Corpse's sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is really reliable. Usually I have to change the battery once every 6 weeks or so, but that's because I use this thing a lot. For a gig, with a charged battery I would use it without a backup. When I was moving this pedal fell down the stairs from the 2nd floor to 1st of my old house. It was as if nothing happened only a small scuff but that's it. Trust me this thing is durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been using this pedal for almost 3 years and it has only been good to me.I usually play metal/ shred and sometimes classic rock. With a few adjustments this pedal will suit each genre nicely. I just love this pedal because it gives you a good sound, even with a crappy amp. If this thing was stolen I would go out and buy another, and than claim sweet revenge against the bastard that stole it. // 10

Metal Planet Reviewed by: Thurisaz, on january 09, 2009

Ease of Use: The Metal Planet... Hm. First Rocktron pedal, and my least favorite. I'll explain why later. It's easy to get tones from this, but they all kinda seem... weird. The mids seem a tad boxey, and it sounds best when an Overdrive is infront of this. It's a cleaner Metal Zone, but not so much fizzy distortion. It's hard to explain. // 7

Sound: The sound is different. I could get decent tones, but never super great tones. When used with my amp slightly overdriven and an OD pedal, it sounds better. It sounds good with a wah for solos as well and there is a lot of variety in the mids, but I couldnt get rid of this "boxey"ness. It sounds better on a tube amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't gig with this pedal to be honest. I'm not super excited about the tone, but I can't bring myself to sell it. The pedals an oddball, I'll give it that. I would gig it without a backup, if I were to gig with it. There's definitely something missing from making this another Rocktron classic. // 8

Overall Impression: It's good for metal, but Rocktron has better pedals. A rampage or Zombie are better if you have a tube amp and wanna go more in the area of high gain Marshall [Rampage] or high gain Mesa [Zombie]. I'd still use the Metal Planet, but for certain applications. And hell, it may be a great recording pedal, but I've never used it for that. // 7

Metal Planet Reviewed by: ToneMonster, on april 30, 2010

Purchased from: Muscian's Friend

Ease of Use: I find this box to be really easy to dial in great tones. It has a stacked EQ similar to the zone but larger knobs. Vol, Low level, high level (stacked), mid freq center and boost or cut (stacked), dist/gain level. Hard to get a bad tone out of this but I suppose that is underestimating 90% of players and the typical demos. Controls are quality, Rocktron (GHS) is a great company. This might be one of Roctrons early pedals but I think it's the best of the gain boxes. // 10

Sound: My unit is totally quiet, no noise floor even at high gain not playing. My tone adjust is low on 3:00, high on 10:00, both mids around 10:00. Gain it up, just Killer deep low, articulate, heavy distortion, no fizzy washout although you can adjust it badly and attain this (as some "demos" have managed to do). I think this is the BEST of the high gain boxes. It was better than I expected it to be. Brings what I liked from the Zone but better quality and tone. May not be what some like but for me it kicks major ass. I like this better than the Zombie or Rampage as this one has more control on the EQ. I am picky about distortion, and this one is a keeper. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Rocktron (GHS) does not really get any better. "Technology for Guitarists" I think far too many players are just not really giving Rocktron their due. They seem to really turn the knobs on this one all wrong and players do not like the demo sounds. I don't either. // 10

Overall Impression: I consider this the BEST of the HIGH GAIN pedals. Monster tone, intense, full, heavy bottom without mud sounds like a Zone on steroids. The demos of the Zone can make you hate that pedal as well. I watched one where the guy had all the EQ to the far left, I mean how could that sound good? Don't listen to the negatives on this pedal, it has a lot to do with your amp and guitar. This sound amazing through my single coils, HB single coils and the highest ohm HB I have. I love it, it is just what I like in a heavy Dist. I cannot understand who would not like the quality of the distortion here and if you think your amp can match this pedal you are so, so very wrong. I have a really great tube head and it cannot get anything close to the balls and intensity of this pedal. Video sounds are crappy, ignore them and the knobs on 12:00 or all the way down demos. // 10

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Hush Super C 4.2 Guitar Effects 05/03/2013