Reaction Hush Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 07/24/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Reaction Hush
This pedal does not add any noise. It is sturdy and built to last. It has quiet operation, so no noise when it's off.
 Ease of Use: 10
 7.4
 8.3
 6.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Reaction Hush Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on july 24, 2014

Purchased from: Best Buy

Ease of Use: It has one knob, threshold. This controls how much noise is cut out. All you have to do is determine where the best place for it is. For me, it's in front of the amp. There is a manual that comes with it. Not entirely useless, but a bit too detailed for what the pedal does. The manual also gives some tips to where to put it. All you have to do, in theory, is turn the knob clockwise until the unnecessary "noise" goes away. That is all you need to do to get the Rocktron Reaction Hush to function after you get it setup. // 10

Sound: I play metal through a VK212 with a Charvel So Cal. It's a little buzzy on the lead channel. It gets a lot of feedback when I turn my Green Rhino on for solos. So, I got a Reaction Hush (had gift cards to Best Buy so it was essentially free). I am rating this pedal based on how it maintains your sound since noise gates aren't designed to change it. It does alright. You notice a drop off in high end, though it is more noticeable on the clean channel. With it around 3:00 or higher, it reduces gain. When it is on, the only noise sounds like someone breathing lightly with their mouth wide open, but its not a loud noise. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The Rocktron Reaction Hush has solid weight to it. It is not plastic, and has a sturdy build to it. The footswitch is also sturdy. If I weren't currently trying to get rid of it, I would be able to depend on it without a backup. Durability is not an issue with the Rocktron Reaction Hush. It will survives drops and the bumps and bruises that touring/gigging brings. I don't know if it can withstand other types of damage. Barring something very stupid, the Rocktron Reaction Hush will provide constant, uninterrupted performance. // 10

Overall Impression: On the plus side, this pedal does not add any noise like crappy Behringer pedals. It is sturdy and built to last. It has quiet operation, so no noise when it's off (if that happens to be necessary). It is also true bypass if that is a plus for your setup. It does eliminate buzz. Theoretically, it is a good match for generally higher gain playing (I play at gain levels of Iron Maiden, Metallica, and occasionally I use a Big Muff Pi with a gain maxed out.) CONS: it is almost useless against feedback. It does change your tone, though it is more noticeable on a clean channel. I wish I knew it was useless against feedback. The only thing I like based on its function is that it cuts out buzz nicely. I would not buy again if stolen, unless both a) it was used at a dirt cheap price and b) the only thing wrong with my setup was buzz (not gonna happen). I recently bought a Decimator II and it is leaps and bounds better. I give it a 5.5 (round to 6) because it only does half the battle of what a good noise gate should do. // 6

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Hush Super C 4.2 Guitar Effects 05/03/2013