Zombie Review

manufacturer: Rocktron date: 06/29/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Rocktron: Zombie
The Zombie creates a rectified asymmetric distortion while allowing user control of the symmetry balance of the distortion output waveform. Rocktron states that this creates a psycho-acoustic 3D sound positioning effect.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.5
 8.5
 8.4
reviews (4) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Zombie Reviewed by: ibryant0915, on march 09, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to get a good sound out of this pedal. As long as you know what each settings knob does and how to adjust them so that it is closer to the sound you want, it's almost elementary. Now, it also depends on how experienced of a player you are, because a newer player will probably have a harder time figuring out how to adjust the settings according to what they think they want. I'm almost positive that everyone knows how to adjust each individual setting, but to a newer player, finding the right combination of adjustments will probably be a little more diffucult (it was when I first began using this effect). The manual for this effect was great. It told you settings that you should begin at, which in my opinion wasn't the desired sound but the easiest spot to find your sound from. It even says in the manual that you should use those settings and adjust from there. It also tells in great detail what each settings knob does and how it will adjust your sound. // 8

Sound: I'm using this pedal with a Ibanez GRX20 and a Roland Cube 15. The Zombie is a funny little pedal. It IS noisy in both good and bad ways depending on what settings you have. If you have the treble all the way up when the bass is not, then it seems to make a very slight buzz when you aren't touching the guitar strings. It's also noisy in a good way. If you hold a note when the gain (called scream on the Zombie) about 2/3 or higher it makes this very desireable screech. This "screech" is not annoying or painful but rather just like the end of many songs (mostly punk rock and heavy metal). Also, it allows for very high volume adjustment for super loud playing. The effects are never weak. Even on the lowest gain (scream) you can still hear the effect slightly (this setting is good for solos or higher range, single string playing). The Zombie almost always sounds great as long as you use common sense when adjusting the settings (dont turn treble all the way up and bass all the way down or anything like that). Sound of my favorite artists? A few, sound of many popular artists? Quite a few. The sounds I get that are my favorite artists are Metallica, Ted Nugent, Switchfoot (as in Meant To Live), and Black Sabbath. This pedal is also fantastic for getting the classic Green Day sound (like When I Come Around and Brain Stew) and good for Green Day's newest album. The Scorpians and Joan Jett ("I Love Rock And Roll"). No effects on this pedal are bad, unless you turn the SCREAM all the way up and play high on a sketchy guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can absolutely depend on the Zombie. I've dropped it multiple times and it hasn't been affected at ALL. It is built like a rock, seems virtually indestructible. I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and a little bit of heavy metal from today's top bands. Very good match for what I play, before this pedal I was very dissatisfied with my sound, and now I'm able to get the sound I want. I've been playing for only 4 months but I've made some good progress and thanks to this pedal I'm able to practice with pride, because even if I completely the song up, at least the tone was right. Anyways, the only thing I wished I would have asked about this product before I bought it is what kind of effect the "stare" setting makes. This is only because it took me forever to finally realize when I should use it to improve the sound. I'd replace this product in a heartbeat if it were lost/stolen and if it were stolen, no hesitation whatsoever. I love that it can be used for punk rock, classic rock, heavy metal, and sounds great on The Star Spangled Banner (traditional not Jimi Hendrix version). I hate that it's pink, but no biggie, just makes it seem that much more pimp. My favorite feature is the fact that the settings are very sensitive and don't just change the sound a little from the lowest to highest setting (like my amp does). I compared this product to the Metal Planet in the store and I personally liked this one better... I [ersonally would not add anything to the Zombie, in my eyes it's almost (not for my style) perfect. I'm not telling you this is the best product ever, because I don't know your playing style, but if you play punk or metal (including classic hard rock). // 10

Zombie Reviewed by: Thurisaz, on january 09, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: This pedal is kinda special, and gets a great sound very easily. It's a rectifier distortion to use on a clean tube amp. Sounds great. The manual tells you a good starting point for your pedal, and I didn't move much from there, except to lower the bass a little, and to put the stare control at about 1-2. // 9

Sound: With my guitars and my tube amp, the pedal sounds great for me. You could do pop punk stuff with the distortion at 0, but I don't. It's not so much noisy as it is something to get used to. With the bass at 8, sometimes the treble still seems too much at 5, but I have a lot of highs from my amp and EQ. I can get a Metallica tone effortlessly, as well as abunch of modern artists heavy distortion tones. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Rocktron are pretty solid pedals. I have four of em and they all still work two-three years later. They are my go to company for pedals. I would gig it without a backup, but I do have other Rocktron pedals. I would depend on them at a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: Sounds awesome for metal, versatile with what you play [ie, if you play bluesy, the sound is a distorted bluesy tone, rather than a raucous metal tone]. With my LTD FX260SM, the sustain is way more than needed for any songs. I chose this because it's the last distortion Rocktron has, and I'm glad I tried it out. // 9

Zombie Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2011

Price paid: € 69

Purchased from: Keymusic

Ease of Use: I've been looking for a good distortion pedal for a while and I have to admit I just bought this one because it was a) on sale and b) because it had 5 knobs I could tinker with to get my desired sound. The knobs are all pretty straight forward: you get a "Louder" (output), "Bass", Treble, "Stare" (controls the asymmetrical waveform) and "scream" (gain). Anyone should be able to get a decent sound out of it and the manual also has a start point so you can get the sound they recommend and then further explore the sounds to accomodate your every need. Don't expect any fancy boost or crunch buttons, however. The pedal has five knobs and that's an end of it. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal with a Fender American Standard Strat and a Vox AC15 along with an EHX Big Muff, Ibanez TS9 and an EHX Small Clone. I just want to make it clear that I don't play metal or anything hardcore (otherwise I would've gotten a different guitar) BUT I do like rock and hardrock. Anything that ranges from Wolfmother and Burning Brides to Queens Of The Stone Age, Nirvana and Puddle Of Mudd (to name a few). I'm happy to report that this pedal is very versatile: it suites my needs BUT any metalhead that wants to Park a scorching solo in a song, shred the nuts of a guitar or just do a heavy rythm section should like this pedal as well. It can get those extreme trebly high gain settings but it also does a "normal" tube crunch very well. I like to think of it as an EHX Big Muff with a little bit less bass and a decently hearable mid and high section. Of course, people might suggest that this was made for metal (hence the name: Zombie) But I'm a person who likes to make my own sound and this pedal can do the job! It's not like any other distortion. What I mean by that is that it doesn't sound the same like all the other famous and expensive models out there. The treble is very sensitive, however, I keep it way below the halfway point and can still get what I would call High Gain. Of course, everything in this industry is personal taste so there's no real bad points to adress. I don't have an effects loop so I was worrying the pedal might "eat" some of my signal like a memory man with hazarai would but I was pleased to find out it didn't! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Right out of the box (or out of the plastic for that matter) this pedal feels very sturdy and the bypass "click" sounds sexy! I think you could compare it to the ehx cathedral and memory man stompboxes as they have about the same thickness in metal. Still, the Zombie feels a little tougher so your feet won't feel sorry to kick the crap out of that bypass button... All the input/output jacks feel very secure and even the bolts that hold this pedal together are bigger then any other pedal I've seen. I would be confident to take this pedal to a gig knowing I didn't have a backup so top marks for the Zombie there. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned above; this is a very versatile pedal that suits my needs very effectively, I've been playing for about 7/8 years and have covered a lot of styles. The only other distortion pedal I have personally is the usa big muff and let's be honest, any Big Muff isn't JUST a distortion pedal so I could only compare it to that one even though I have played several other types of distortion. I think for the price this is a no-brainer as it will probably kick the Boss DS1's butt, which is the only pedal that's cheaper than this one I THINK, but don't get angry with me if you think otherwise. I love the fact you can get all kinds of distortion out of it and still maintain that unique sound Rocktron offers. Even the insane treble knob can't take that away. Of course, there are other distortion pedals on the market. I just thought I'd give you my thoughts on this one. Thank you for reading! // 9

Zombie Reviewed by: GreaseMouth, on june 29, 2011

Ease of Use: Some one gave me this effect, to test it. It's pretty easy to get a good sound out of this pedal. Only a few small adjusts and it sounds ok. It's pretty big for a distortion pedal, so if you want to use it on a pedalboard think twice before buying, because on the place of one Rocktron pedal you can fit 2 Boss pedals. // 8

Sound: I use this pedal together with a Epiphone Les Paul Standard and a Squier Affinity Stratocaster in my Fender Frontmang 15G. The sound is OK for a distortion. But the big problem of this pedal is, you always have a lot of distortion. Even with everything put to 0 you've got a lot of distortion/gain. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The quality of the pedal is ok, the Switch broke in a few months, but when I replaced the Switch is was working as it should. Further no complains about the quality. It looks good and it is a strong pedal. // 5

Overall Impression: You have to love distortion if you want to like this pedal. It's good for rock and metal. If someones who take my pedal, than he/she can take it because I would get another distortion pedal like an MXR or Boss pedal. If the distortion could be adjusted to a lower level of gain, and they would used better switches, this would be a very good pedal. // 7

More Rocktron reviews rating category latest review
+ Hush Super C 4.2 Guitar Effects 05/03/2013