GR-20 Review

6.3
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
GR-20 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: Once you get the pickup in place and sensor adjusted you can easily make incredible sounds with this syth. Editing the patches is easy becuase there are knobs that adjust attack, release, chorus, delay/reverb, and volume. There are also more indepth settings such as frequency, resonance, transpose, and play feel(how the sound reacts to your picking). You can also change patches in a number of ways. If you use another foot controller or midi with the GR-20 you can esily change the settings for best performance. The only problem is taking the time to attatch the pickup. You will have to take off the strings. For guitars with a tune-o-matic bridge(Les pauls, Eclipses) there is a bracket that attatches to the posts. Im not sure how it attatches to Fenders but I believe it uses 2 sided tape. As for the pickup controller it mounts to your guitar with a bracket that holds on to the strap pin. But the good thing is it is not permanant and will not damage your guitar. It also looks better than the previous model. // 8

Sound: There are over 350 preset sounds that you can modify in a number of ways. You can save them to a bank that holds 99 custom patches. Some sounds include Orchestra, Sax, Voilin, Piano, Sitar, and drums. There is a expression pedal that controls volume, frequency(kind of like wah), bending, and effects. There are also two foot pedals that can bend and sustain notes. The tuner is a plus. The best feature is the ability to blend your own guitar sound with synth sound by using the switch on the pickup cntroller and your guitar's volume knob. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is very reliable and the sound will not cut out or sound funny like with other synths. This uses the best tracking technology that exists so even when your playing those fast licks the GR-20 will Pick up every note. I haven't owned it long enough to test durability but it looks like it could withstand some damage. // 10

Overall Impression: For just about every style of music the GR-20 has a sound to go with it. What I like is playing and having a full orchestra backing me up. It has some very sweet sounds. Bottom line is if you really want to be different you need to get a Roland GR-20. It has the best features, it has the best price over any guitar synth, and it's reliable. // 10

GR-20 Reviewed by: Minderbinder, on november 28, 2006

Purchased from: Brookdale Music

Ease of Use: To start, this thing is probobly the easiest effect to use that I have ever dealt with. It is designed to work like a practice amp, with easy knobs to twist to effect reverb, delay, chorus, and attack. It has a pedal that you just step on while you play a note or a chord to sustain that note or chord, mostly for keyboard sounds, where you would actually be able to hold a chord with one hand and play with the other. The manual is very straigt-forward. This unit has been upgraded, but that just makes this one cheaper. You can even costumize your sounds and then save them. Up to 99. // 10

Sound: I use this with A Brian Moore 81.13 through a Fender FM 212 DSP. You really get a better sound through a two-challel amp, which is why I bought one like that. All of the sounds are great, but it doesn't have a very convincing brass section. But that is a small price to pay to recieve the other great instrument sounds. All of the effects work great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am not so sure about the knobs and their durability, but if your carful (which you shoud be anyway) it should be fine. As for gigs, I always bring it along. No backup. My friend has got one too. Neither of us have had probloms on the road. It looks like it could withstand some damage, though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play the span of the sixties, so I cover a lot of different musical styles. I have been playing for eight years. I love the fact that I can record a song and have an entire orchestra, wind section, or other strings behind me. Look online for the full preset patch list. One thing I don't like, though: I don't use it with the other electric simply because the GK3 pickup cost an extra hundred dollars, and it's ugly. On top of that, you get the best sound out it (using a guitar that is not equipted with a 13-pin output) by making it a perminent addition to your guitar by drilling it in. The Brian Moore, I am happy to say, is equipted with a 13-pin output, so I have no worries. But for someone Who didn't, there is also a double sided tape that is not perminent and will not damage your guitar, but the sound is not as good. It doesn't affact me, but I would be mad to have that come between me and an amazing synth like this. // 8

More Roland reviews rating category latest review
+ Cube 15XL 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 07/17/2014