150 Review

RP: 150
 Ease of Use: 10
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
150 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 16, 2009

Ease of Use: The concept behind this pedal is simple. You take a tone from the tone library (of which there are 30) and you add multiple effects from the effects library (another set of 30). You mix and match as you please and you have virtually any sound you want. This is all done with a couple of knobs but I haven't messed with it much. Thankfully this unit comes with 50 pre-set sounds which are a combination of tones and effects that sound pretty darn good. If you're not happy with the 50 from the factory you can store another 50 of your own. Also, you can never accidentally wipe out the factory set tones. It really is easy to use, just plug it in and hit the pedals to cycle through the pre-set sounds and you're sounding like a pro. // 10

Sound: I bought this over the weekend and played it in a church worship band for the first time today. There's a button on the back that allows you to Switch between "amp" mode and "mixer" mode. Apparently the sound in the chip is optimized for each environment. I've had enough time to mess with all of the tones and effects and I need to be very clear about this. There are two types of people, guitar purists and everyone else. For guitar purists you're probably going to find flaws with this pedal, because it didn't cost $1000 but for everyone else, you're going to love it. As you step through the pre-sets, experiment with tones and effects you'll find yourself grinning because you'll recognize the sounds from some of your favorite songs. One thing of importance is that this pedal gives great sound in all environments: through a mixer, through my Fender H.O.T. Practice amp and through the headphone jack. It seems to have better sounds and more flexibility than a year old POD I've used. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used it only once and of course it worked flawlessly. I will depend on it and use it every week without a back up. The case is metal and the pedals are plastic. If anyone is taking it to gigs, I'd strongly suggest getting a hard cover case for it not because it seems flimsy, but I've been around the guys Who set things up and. You'll want a hard case. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for over 20 years with basic equipment. I play everything from Christian music to country to rock but I don't do any "shredding." Like many of you I had the battery eating boxes and have finally given up on them. I tested this unit and five other systems using a new Epiphone at the Guitar Center. The question I had to ask was whether there was a $100, $200, $300 or $1000 difference between the RP150 and the other pedals based on what I was hearing and the answer was a resounding no. My concern was that I was testing with an $800 guitar and I was going to be using this with a 20 year old Strat knock-off. To my great joy, the RP150 brings the sound on my 20 year old Stage guitar a lot closer to the Epiphone than I expected. After a few days of playing and testing and one Live performance I have to say I'm impressed. I'd recommend it to anyone. // 10

Comments