Power Grid Distortion Review

8.7
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Power Grid Distortion Reviewed by: ftgjr, on november 18, 2010

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: Simple enough. It has a gain, bass, mid, treble and volume knobs and an on/off switch. It doesn't all that much time before you come up with some cool distortion sounds. The manual is pretty basic. It gives you some example of settings you can use. It has a 9v plug in the back which is usefull. // 8

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul, Fender Stratocaster and other guitars through a Vox AC4TV and VT-15. It gets a bit noisy on the high gain settings but that's it. This pedal has plenty of gain at 12 o clock or earlier. With three tone knobs, you can nicely shape your sound and dial in the sounds you want. You can also get some nice low gain sounds and use it to boost your amp. Seems to play nice with other pedals. I can get sounds like AC/DC, Tool and Iron Maiden and Judas Priest very easily. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is my second Seymore Duncan pedal, so I know that they are built well. I am a bedroom player, so I am not going to be able to test how it would hold up to heavy gigs. I feel that this pedal will give me years of reliable usage and would be able to stand up to live performances. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 20 years and mostly play classic rock and blues but also like to play some hard rock and metal. I Own many fuzz (Fuzz Face, Big Muff and SD Tweak Fuzz) and a Ibanez TS-9. I also have Morley and Crybaby Wah pedals, MXR phase 90, Zoom G2. I was looking for a good distortion with lots of gain that can easily be tweaked to get the sound I want. I demoed this against an MXR Distortion+, MXR Distortion III and BOSS DS-1 and this pedal blew them all away. I only gave this a shot because of how happy I am with my Seymore Duncan Tweak Fuzz. I also tried it against the Lava Box and I wasn't impress with that pedal. My only dislike is that it is noisy with the gain all the way up. I can live with that. I got this as a closeout special and saved $30. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review