SN-5 Clip On Tuner Review

manufacturer: Snark date: 08/31/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Snark: SN-5 Clip On Tuner
The Snark SN-5 is a chromatic clip on tuner for any stringed instrument, with a lighted display and it is super easy to use.
 Ease of Use: 9
 7.9
 9.3
 6.5
review (1) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
SN-5 Clip On Tuner Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 31, 2012

Purchased from: online retailer

Ease of Use: It doesn't get any simpler than this it comes new with a small battery to install (what I think of as hearing aid batteries), and then you are ready to go. You just clip the tuner onto the headstock of your favorite stringed instrument, hit the one button that is for turning the tuner either on or off, and then pluck a string and twist the tuning key as needed. The display is lighted, as well as being on an adjustable arm so you can see it in the dark and twist the display so you can see the screen without being a contortionist. What really separates it from other clip on tuners in the market is that the display is visible both in the daylight and the dark. Even in direct sunlight you can read the display on the Snark SN-5. When you get done you just hit the power button again to conserve your battery and then rock out. I've read online that some people got one where the battery was almost dead when the received it of course, this didn't happen to me so I can't say much about it. We're talking about a chromatic tuner that is under $20 USD, and the batteries are readily available at department stores for approximately $3 USD in the U.S., so I can understand it could be inconvenient receiving one with a bad battery, but it is a $3 fix. Of course, purchasing anything new you don't expect to put more money out for something that is supposed to be included, but again I just have to say that isn't a problem I personally had, just saw a few comments online from other owners. // 9

Sound: The beauty of the Snark SN-5 is that since it isn't in your signal chain it absolutely does not affect your tone. I know that tuner pedals shouldn't be affecting tone either, but when it isn't in your signal chain there is no question in your mind. There isn't much else to say for this section of the review. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Snark SN-5 seems like it will last for quite a while. As it stands, I play guitar every day acoustic and electric and multiple instruments. I leave my Snark sitting by my guitars and clip it on to tune each time I pick up a guitar. So far I've owned it about 3 months and I haven't had to replace the battery yet and I've had no other issues. When it is time to change the battery out, it is simple to change. As a side note, the tuner is supposed to 'go to sleep' if it is sitting on inactive for very long in order to save the battery, but I haven't tried that out. The clip on part of the tuner has little soft rubber teeth, which means you don't have to worry about any damage to your guitar's finish, even if the tuner is jarred while clipped to your headstock. As far as how durable and how much abuse this thing can take, it is pretty light and I've dropped it on a hardwood floor a few times and no damage done. I'm sure it wouldn't survive a good whack from a hammer, but it should survive the normal abuse that a clip-on tuner can expect. // 9

Overall Impression: The Snark doesn't take up room on a pedal board, as a matter of a fact it isn't anywhere in your signal chain that is the first huge bonus. Next huge bonus, it can be moved between instruments pretty much effortlessly without any cables even being involved. It can tune unplugged instruments, also. The Snark SN-5 replaced the Korg Pitchblack Tuner from my pedalboard without any regrets it freed up room and just to be honest is easier and less hassle to use. I've heard it said that the display on the Snark gets dim as the battery goes down, but I haven't seen this yet after 3 months of pretty heavy use so I'm gonna call that a non-issue. I love it and recommend it to all my friends who play because it is inexpensive, easy to use and is just very convenient. // 9

- Brandon East (c) 2012

More Snark reviews rating category latest review
+ SN-8 Clip-on Tuner 6.7 Guitar Effects 06/26/2013