ST-200 Turbo Tuner Review

manufacturer: Sonic Research date: 01/23/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Sonic Research: ST-200 Turbo Tuner
Easy to read display instantly shows the slightest difference in pitch of the note played from the indicated note.
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 9.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
ST-200 Turbo Tuner Reviewed by: Chetbango, on april 07, 2009

Purchased from: Sonic Research website

Ease of Use: It is a strobe tuner, so it took a little bit to get used to. Much easier to use than the Strobe Tuners I have used it the past though. If the lights circle clockwise, it is sharp, if they are moving counter-clockwise, it is flat. Once I got used to it, it is easier and much more precise than needle/light tuners I have used in the past. This pedal makes setting the intonation a breeze! I used my Boss TU-2 Needle type tuner to set my intonation soon after I got my Les Paul. I didn't realize how off it was until I got this tuner. I re-set it pretty quickly and my guitar sounded so much better. It encouraged me to reset my neck and string height too. Now my guitar feels and plays like the fine piece of craftsmanship that it is. I helped my friends set their intonation too, after the third guitar I have set up, I am amazed on how fast and accurate I can do this now set intonation with this pedal. Easy to read on stage/while playing and a convenient cut-off for my guitar when I want to set it down. // 10

Sound: It is true bypass and has no effect on my tone when it is in my chain. I checked it with a few pedals and by itself against going straight in to my amp. I could not discern a difference of when it was in the chain or not, unlike my wah, which is a bit of a tone suck. It does let a little signal bleed through when engaged, but nothing that you could hear more than a couple feet from the amp. I imagine than is part of being true bypass. // 10

Reliability & Durability: All metal, very solidly built, like many well-built boutique pedals. Much better built than the Peterson pedal tuner, which is mostly plastic. I would certainly trust this tuner without a backup. It is all metal, with standard screws holding it together. The screen is thick plastic or glass and is held on by allen bolts. // 10

Overall Impression: I am blown away by this pedal, it is well built, easy to use, accurate, precise and only slightly more expensive than the needle/light pedals that it categorically beats. I looked at Boss, Peterson, Korg and Planet Waves tuner stomp boxes, and this is better than any of them. It is more precise than any but the Peterson, and as well built as any. The Peterson costs about 80 dollars more than the ST-200, and the Peterson is not half as robust as this tuner, and they are both equally as accurate, but this ST-200 is much easier to use. // 10

ST-200 Turbo Tuner Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2012

Purchased from: Sonic Research website

Ease of Use: The strobe tuning takes some getting used to but once you've tuned you guitar 3 or 4 times, it becomes natural just like the needle tuners. I haven't used this for any alternate tunings yet, that looks kind of difficult. It's easy to switch from "chromatic" to "guitar" or "bass" mode but I just leave it in chromatic mode. // 9

Sound: Since it's a tuner, I'm basing the sound on a couple of things. First of all, it's true bypass so it doesn't affect my tone, which I appreciate. Also, this thing is extremely accurate. So it makes my guitar sound great. When it is on and tuning, it mutes the signal so I could tune without being annoying at a gig. Awesome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable. It came with a battery already in it and I haven't had to change it yet after about 100 tunings. I'm not sure what the screen is made out of. So I'm not about to test it. But the case is a hard metal and its got a heavy duty switch like any EH, Dunlop, MXR, or boutique type pedals so I think it will hold up. // 10

Overall Impression: This tuner pedal fantastic. The strobe tuner is accurate enough for setup of guitars off stage or at home at the guitar workbench, but the stompbox form makes it available for the pedal board, too. Bravo to Sonic Research for a great American made product. // 10

Comments