OD-6 Overdrive Review

8.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
OD-6 Overdrive Reviewed by: TheChunklunk, on june 20, 2012

Purchased from: Cash Converters

Ease of Use: Recently I came into some money from my money. I like to experiment when it comes to my guitar playing and I like to use a lot of different sounds. I was walking round my local town center and I saw this pedal in the shop window, it seemed familiar but yet I've never heard or seen it before. I went in and asked to look at it, seen as it was only 5.00 and I would have money left, I thought why not. I got home and plugged it, it already had a battery. Now it looks like a cheap Argos type thing, but trust me, its metal and sturdy, well made. It looks very retro in a way. It has 3 knobs: Level, Tone and Drive. As standard with any overdrive/distortion pedal. Its very easy to use, stomp with you foot, twist the knobs till you get your required sound. It takes a 9v battery or power pack, also like most pedals. I was surprised how well made it is to be honest, having never heard of this brand. The only downer for me is that it looks a bit cheap/ugly, but that doesn't really matter. // 8

Sound: I use a Vox Valvetronix VT40+ (So many effects/tones) and a Marshall MG15 occasionally. My guitars are Epiphone SG, Epiphone Dot and a Westfield E4500 Les Paul. Normally modelling amps don't handle pedals well, but this one works really well with them. So I plugged in the pedal, no buzz or noise at all, completely silent. This was a good start. I put everything at 12:00 and put the pedal on. I strummed an A Power Chord and I was welcomed to a nice creamy yet raw tone. I played some riffs and it sounded pretty full and rich. I was loving it, this pedal sounds much better than other budget pedals such as the Behringer Ultra Metal 300, which I also own. I managed to get one tone that sounded kinda like early Foo Fighters/Nirvana, I'm talking the first Foo Fighters album, which featured a post Grunge sound on it. If the pedal is turned up via level I found it doesn't that much louder unless the actual Drive is turned too. When the Drive is turned up it sounds quite gritty, very Cobain like without sounding like rubbish. The only bad thing about the sound is that although its overdrive, compared to expensive pedals like the Tube Screamer by Ibanez or the Boss DS-1, it sounds weak at times. But then you get what you pay for. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very well made and metal made, unlike the Behringer Ultra Metal 300 pedal which is plastic. I was impressed by this. I would probably actual use this for a gig, given I get a decent tone I like as I've just got it. It seems very sturdy, but if it did break I'll have the awesome tones on my Vox, which sounds fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Alternative Rock, Grunge, Hard Rock and Metal sometimes. I do like playing clean blues and funk too. I've been playing for a year and a bit "properly", but owned guitars for like 3 years or so. This pedal definitely suits Alt Rock and soft rock styles, but I know it couldn't do metal, maybe if it was really pushed. However, this isn't a probably for me. I love the tones that I can get out of this pedal, its very impressive for what it is. Well made and sounds great. Compared to the Behringer Overdrive pedals, it sounds much better than them. I have researched this pedal on The Internet and it seems quite rare and there is no company information. The thing I don't like is that it looks cheap from a distance, but it did cost 5.00. I wish it had come with the box, so I could find out more about the pedal. If you come across this pedal and just want to experiment or want try it out, go ahead as I found it was very worth it. It's not perfect, but it value for money. // 9

Comments