PDF-1 Review

manufacturer: Stone Deaf date: 01/23/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Stone Deaf: PDF-1
This pedal will allow you to get your sound exactly how you've always heard it in your head and will make every pedal on your board sound better! As well as give you some amazing distorted tones in its own right.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.9
 9.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
PDF-1 Reviewed by: Rob S Glennie, on january 23, 2013

Purchased from: Stone Deaf FX

Ease of Use: Easy just play with frequency knob until you find frequency you want to boost or add and choose how fat or thin you want your tone to be with bandwidth knob then choose how much you want to cut or boost with height knob. Same with distortion circuit just dial through until you find the tone your after and believe me there's lots to be found in this pedal. For people with any sort of understanding of EQ you'll be able to do amazing things with this pedal straight out of the box. It comes boxed with good instructions. // 9

Sound: Wow where do I can begin I could write an essay on what this can do for your tone! Firstly I've always been happy with the sound of my telecaster twin combo but this thing just adds another dimension to the tone, on the clean circuit it just breaths life into my sound, in fact now when I turn the PDF-1 off it sounds like I've thrown a blanket over my amp! But that's just the start, the distortion circuit has a plethora of amazing tones to be had by playing with the Frequency and fat thin settings every things from crunchy tight fat bottom end to thin cutting garage lo-fi tones, there's one setting that sounds like a 3/4 cocked wow great for controlled feedback, another setting I've found with the frequency set to 4 o clock and the 5 way bandwidth set between middle and thin makes the my amp sound like the tubes are breaking up and at level that won't deafen you! I'm not sure it is power tube breakup but it sure sounds like it. But the best thing about this pedal is how it can sort out any tonal issues you have with pedals etc its like a tone Swiss Army knife, example I have a setting I like on my Fuzz Factory but have never been 100% about, on my amp bright channel it was always too harsh and whiny and with bright off nicer but slightly too dull in the mix with the band but after switching on the PDF-1 I just dialed through frequency knob and bang I got the Fuzz Factory sounding exactly like I've always wanted. My Crowther Hotcake used to be my #1 pedal but its just been relegated to #2. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Stone Deaf PDF-1 is built like a brick in a sturdy casing and looks very hard wearing and well built. I would be confident of using this pedal without a backup, all the input output and power in are in a good position so easy to use on pedal and battery compartment is in a good place and feels strong. I do a lot of gigging/rehearsing/recording and Imagine this pedal will defo be around for years to come. // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome this pedal will allow you to get your sound exactly how you've always heard it in your head and will make every pedal on your board sound better! As well as give you some amazing distorted tones in its own right. I play Alt/lo-fi rock and it suits my play but then again this pedal is not genre specific and could be used for any style, all though I must say it nails Josh Homme's dirty tone on the distortion circuit as it is a pedal he swears by. If this pedal was stolen I would defo buy again.

// 10