Bloody Mary Distortion Review

manufacturer: T-Rex date: 06/18/2012 category: Guitar Effects
T-Rex: Bloody Mary Distortion
This is an easy pedal to use, it has a level, gain and 3 band eq as well as a mid scoop switch. T-Rex makes great quality pedals and this is no exception.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.1
 9.2
 8.9
reviews (2) pictures (6) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Bloody Mary Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2012

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: This is an easy pedal to use, it has a level, gain and 3 band eq as well as a mid scoop switch. The eq is very sensitive so it allows for an array of tone settings and the pedal packs plenty of distortion, the scoop also greatly affects your sound and you can control the amount scooped by adding mids. I did not receive any manual since I got it used from a friend but you can find settings examples everywhere. You have 2 power options: a battery compartment at the back which is easy to access (but I never use it) and a power supply cable which is what I use. Also it is worth noting that the switch for turning it on and off is very smooth making it incredibly easy to switch the pedal on and off and that's a big plus. // 9

Sound: I have a PRS Paul Allender (old model with PRS pickups not EMG) and I run the pedal through the effects loop of my Ashdown 40DSP with several pedals having a Boss CS-3 sustainer always on to smooth riffing. The sound is very defined, heavy and articulated, truly an amazing distortion sound and as said the sound options are many, from kill em all Metallica to modern metal back to old school heavy metal e.g. Iron Maiden to death and black. The pedal can get muddy on a wrong setting but with a correct one you can clearly hear the clicking treble and thumping bass separate and anything but muddy. Currently I have it at a bit of a Dimebag setting with a lot of distortion, bass and treble full the mid scoop on and mids at four so it doesn't get fully scooped out, I must say it does sound amazing. For those who can't afford a Mesa Boogie, high end Marshall or Engl this is one of the best ways to get that kind of distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: T-Rex makes great quality pedals and this is no exception, it has a metal enclosed making it tough, not a tank so don't over do it, I had it for months and never had any problems with it, my friend had it for years and didn't have problems, I see no reason why it should fail and I would gig without a backup with no worries but since I have my old DigiTech Metal Master I would still take it with me just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 5 years and I play from blues to rock to metal but I use this pedal only for metal. I wanted one for years and since my friend was giving it at a good price I took it home tried it and bought it the same day. As said I also have a metal master that is greatly inferior and I will sell it and a DOD YJM 308 preamp Overdrive that is use to boost solos or for some specific tones but it lacks versatility so the T-Rex is my main pedal. I have also had for a brief time the Boss Metal Zone which is a great pedal but the T-Rex is simply superior. I love the sensitive eq and crazy amounts of gain and I can't really think of something else to have except a 6-10 band eq (which is a lot to ask out of a distortion pedal, I know) or a unique switch like dry/wet distortion (which is a over the top, don't even know if you can do that). If it was stolen/lost/destroyed I wouldn't kill the one responsible because I would go to jail, I would try some other distortion pedals that interest me like the EH Metal Muff, but I don't think it would compare, and the Blackstar pedals that I am dying to try out but I believe I would probably chose this in the end except if I had money for a high end high gain amplifier. // 9

Bloody Mary Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2012

Purchased from: Used

Ease of Use: No problem setting it up and getting quality tones. It's got six different controls, which may be a bit more than the average distortion pedal, but they're all pretty obvious - knobs for gain, volume, bass, mid and treble, and a "body" switch that fattens up the tone somewhat. Didn't get a manual as I bought it used, but there is absolutely no way you can go wrong with controls as simple as these. // 9

Sound: I primarily play it with a Jazzmaster equipped with a humbucker (Duncan SH-/TB-10) in the bridge position, into a Roland Jazz Chorus. The sound is tight as f*ck, absolutely killer. No noise, no living a life of its own, incredibly responsive - this pedal feels almost like an extension of your guitar (or yourself). But where its sound really shines is its versatility. It can do more or less any type of metal or heavy rock, from piercing old school black metal tones via modern death metal to almost fuzz-like doom/stoner - roll back on treble and set bass to the max and you can almost smell some of that sweet smoke; do the opposite and that smoke is coming from a burning Norwegian church. At the right settings it also works wonders for that shoegaze/heavily distorted alternative rock sound - like the early Jesus And Mary Chain or My Bloody Valentine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: When I first got it I was surprised at how light it was. Judging from the pics and its Solid Metal casing one would think that it weighs significantly more than a pound, but that isn't the case. It does however not have that "cheap" feel that light pedals usually do, so I'm not expecting it to fall apart any time soon. Would definetely gig it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about eight years, and this is - as far as pedals I've tried myself go - the best heavy metal pedal out there, without question. As I mentioned, its versatility is completely unrivalled thanks to its EQ control system and its responsivity across all frequencies. I initially bought it mostly to use as a high-gain pedal on my "shoegaze" board, but its many great metal tones have had me playing quite a bit of Sleep, Death and Burzum as well, and it really nails all those sounds. If it was lost, stolen or against all odds broke down, I'd get another one immediately. // 10

More T-Rex reviews rating category latest review
+ Fuel Tank Junior 8.9 Guitar Effects 05/06/2014