Fuel Tank Junior Review

8.9
 8.7
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
Fuel Tank Junior Reviewed by: Ollietherocker, on may 06, 2014

Ease of Use: If you have 5 pedals, this is so simple to set up it's insane. Comes with all the cables you'll need, stick some Velcro on the back, plug it in, 2 minutes later you've got a perfectly quiet pedal board. Once you start getting over 5 pedals it can get more complicated, I'd advise buying a daisy chain cable if you plan to go large. I run a daisy chain off a single output to 5 pedals and its silent. In theory and I stress in theory, you could power another 5 pedals off each individual output assuming you were careful with your current draw on the pedals.

I certainly advise for you to look up the current draw of your pedals and keep note of them, it can be extremely useful when planning your board to avoid any hum. Most pedals are way less that 120mA and if they aren't they usually include a dedicated power supply, so you're sorted! Simple to use, no manual required. // 9

Sound: As the Fuel Tank Junior is a power supply I cannot comment on it's own sound as it is in the signal path however I can comment on how it affects the other pedals it supplies power to and the answer is - as you'd hope - that it does not affect the tone of the pedals at all, it is clean 9V 120mA, allowing my pedals to behave as they were intended. I run 9 pedals off this unit with no background noise at all, just the standard single coil hum. If you want a quiet rig, then this is the pedal for you. Compared to a cheap power supply I had before that generated a lot of unwanted noise, this unit is incredible. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Fuel Tank Junior is built like a tank as the the name suggests. It is an extremely sturdy enclosure, that is not very tall, it lies very low on my pedal board so does not obstruct any pedals, its also very small so there is not excuse for not being able to fit it on your board. I'd depend on this unit for ever, I'm fairly confident it will outlive me. It's been on my board for a year and has not received a single scratch, perhaps that's down to a careful owner but I cannot stress enough how sturdy this thing is. // 9

Overall Impression: What I play doesn't matter in this context, but how I play does. I use 9 different pedals ranging from low current consumption distortions (< 5mA) to 100mA monsters all of which are powered off this single unit. Of course some thought needs to go into where you're sending each of the 5 power outlets (each one delivers 9V and 120mA), a daisy change is useful to have around but you can easily power a small to medium pedal set up off this supply with no worries at all. I'd definitely replace this again as it's isolated, sturdy and of course red. Other products like the Fuel Tank Classic and the DC Brick are do not have isolated grounds, which 90% of the time isn't a problem unless you're using some crazy digital pedal or something vintage. It stands up to the Voodoo Labs equivalent and I definitely favour the Fuel Tank Junior over any other. More outputs would be nice, more current output and perhaps a switching system to turn off individual outputs but really these are unimportant things that I'd like but don't really matter. // 8

More T-Rex reviews rating category latest review
+ ToneBug Chorus/Flanger 9.6 Guitar Effects 10/05/2012