ToneBug Distortion Review

manufacturer: T-Rex date: 04/18/2012 category: Guitar Effects
T-Rex: ToneBug Distortion
This Distortion Pedal has got three knobs to adjust the sound. The knobs are "Gain", "Tone" and "Level". The sound includes varieties from trebly bluesy settings with low gain to fuzzy warm heavy distortion.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.8
 9.8
 7.7
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
ToneBug Distortion Reviewed by: MrKnister, on april 18, 2012

Price paid: € 79

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: This Distortion Pedal has got three knobs to adjust the sound. The knobs are "Gain", "Tone" and "Level". In the manual there are different examples of positions which give you e.g. a tubescreamer blues, a warm riff or a heavy solo sound. The power connection and cable-in- and outputs are on the upside. The battery box is accessible from below, not very difficult to open. But I do not use batteries generally. So I did not open it more than once. Only 9 from 10 points because the the foot switch knob is not the invention that currently exist in my dreams (a mix between a tiny metal knob and a big rubber surface). // 9

Sound: The sound includes varieties from trebly bluesy settings with low gain to fuzzy warm heavy distortion. Well, for blues I still use a tubescreamer because it is the ultimate overdrive. But I bought it for solos and with that usage I am very satisfied. I am not a professional player but I've got mid-class standards. Maybe my equipment gives a small insight: Gui- Ibanez SZ520 = Humbucker (New Price: around 400-500 Euro) Gui- Godin Progression = Single coil (New Price: around 780 Euro) Amps- Ibanez TSA15H Tube + H&K 100w Cabinet OR Engl Straight 100w Tube Effs- Digidelay, Ibanez WD7 Wah, Zakk Wylde Crybaby. I am very satisfied with nearly all equipment I bought. I think the price for all, also the T-Rex is it worth. The T-Rex sounds good with all these other pedals, guitars and amps. To get to know my sound sensation here are some artists I prefer: Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Johnson, Creed, Deftones, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, System Of A Down, Oasis, Muse, Tito And Tarantula. Ultimate sound ideal: Joe Bonamassa! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Metal case! Nothing left to say! Ok, to fill out these claim of 250 words: it makes an impression that it is very reliable. I did not throw it against the wall or similar things. Ok, I am very carefully with all my pedals, the only bad experience I had were plastic knobs from a DigiTech RP80 which disappeared in the case after pushing them every day for one year. But with these T-Rex pedal that cannot happed due to it has metals potis. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for seven years, used Engl Tube Amps, many pedals from Boss and DigiTech. Only wish I had if I was a beginner I would have had a second channel and knob. So that you got one crunchy or bluesy distortion for riffs and another "channel" for solos. But I think this wished pedal exists for 80 Euros more (T-Rex Dr. Swamp). But I do not need it necessarily. // 10

More T-Rex reviews rating category latest review
+ Fuel Tank Junior 8.9 Guitar Effects 05/06/2014