Hall Of Fame Reverb Review

manufacturer: TC Electronic date: 07/09/2014 category: Guitar Effects
TC Electronic: Hall Of Fame Reverb
I finally have found a pedal that suits my needs and doesn't create an annoying hum. This pedal has a great ability to deliver clear reverb at the turn of a dial. It is a great sounding pedal for a very reasonable price.
 Ease of Use: 9
reviews (3) pictures (2) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Hall Of Fame Reverb Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2012

Purchased from: Craigslist.org

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly easy to use and dial in. You essentially have 3 knobs controlling your tone: decay, tone, and level of effect. The level of your guitar or input signal will come out at unity gain. Nothing added, nothing lost. Most reverbs have this same feature, something I find that makes things very easy. This pedal is exciting in a couple of ways; the main benefit of using TC Electronics is that they now offer TonePrint. You essentially have 10 settings on the pedal for reverb ranging from Spring to Lo-Fi but then you have TonePrint. Players who are endorsed by TC Electronics have started creating their own custom reverbs and you can download and program them onto your pedal. Want to use Petrucci's reverb, download it and bam, there you go. As pulled from TC Electronics site here are some of the features: - TonePrint - instant access to custom pedal tweaks made by your idols - 10 reverb types - a wide range of reverbs for a world of inspiration - Stereo in & out - added flexibility to fit any set-up - True Bypass - zero loss of tone - Analog-Dry-Through - maximum tonal integrity and clarity - Decay, Tone and Level controls - intuitive yet deep tonal options - Easy battery access - makes changing batteries fun (well, almost) - Small footprint - save precious pedal board space - High-quality components - only the best will do when it comes to tone - Road-ready design - ready to follow you wherever your playing takes you. // 8

Sound: Over the last five years I have used two reverb pedals, the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail (big box) and the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Plus. To my ears these pedals had the best spring reverb out of any other pedal I have played. Easy to use and easy to set up to my liking. Problem 1 arose when I had the big box and it would not stop making an oppressive humming noise unless it was using a genuine EHX power supply. Needless to say, I have enough gear to haul around when I gig and carrying an extra power supply did not excite me, especially when I already have a pedal board with a power supply on it. So I got rid of that, did my research and picked up the Holy Grail Plus. That worked great for the last two years but I got a new amp which had a different tonal output and once again heard a hum that just flat out annoyed me. So I sold it and picked up this Hall Of Fame after reading great reviews online, I never played it but I have several trusted forums which I like. Since I have received it and logged several hours on it I can say this is a far superior pedal. The spring reverb on this is comparable to the EHX, which is a good thing, but the benefit is you get an additional 10 settings. This is not a one trick pony. You have a lot of options with the reverb and it really sounds authentic. I think this is a great reverb for the price, I paid $100 on the used market with all the goodies (box, cable, manual, etc) but even at around $150 for new this is still a great deal for a True Bypass pedal. Speaking of True Bypass, it doesn't have to be. You can actually set this pedal to be buffered. In my chain I have two buffered pedals which push my signal just the way I want it to the amp so I use the True Bypass setting but if you need a Buffer at the end of your line (where generally modulation pedals should go) then this opens up a great option. Overall the sound is great both as a standalone pedal and on my pedal board. It stays clean, crisp, and clear. Set it up in minutes how you want and this should last you for years. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I cannot speak as to the durability of this very TC Electronics pedal but I have been using the Polytune for over 2 years with constant gigging and out of all my pedals, it is in the best shape. It has solid construction, thin design, and a very protective paint job. I see this lasting anyone years and years, with hard or light use, it shouldn't be any problem. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm stoked! I finally have found a pedal that suits my needs and doesn't create an annoying hum. TC Electronics has been on a tear lately in terms of entering the giant marketplace of guitar accessories. This pedal has a great ability to deliver clear reverb at the turn of a dial. It is a great sounding pedal for a very reasonable price. The thing that has blown my mind with this pedal is TonePrint. You can plug this pedal into the computer and download Petrucci's reverb or so and so's cathedral setting. It is easy to do, but wait, there's more. TC Electronic recently released the TonePrint App for your iPhone or Android device. I downloaded the app on my Droid and within minutes I was reprogramming my TonePrint without plugging it in to my computer. All you have to do is this: Have your guitar plugged into the Hall of Fame, have the tone print on and turn the dial to "TonePrint". Go on the app and select the TonePrint you want to, hit the button to "beam to device", hold your phones speaker to your guitar pickup and in about 5 seconds you have programmed a new TonePrint. I think this is pretty cool and neat feature. Is this something I will use on stage in a live venue? Never. But I do think it is great that a company keeps pushing forward and continues innovating. Enjoy your tone and happy pickin'. // 9

Jesse R. Kleinow aka thejester

- *The author has no affiliation or endorsement with the company reviewed in this article. (c) 2012

Hall Of Fame Reverb Reviewed by: Ollietherocker, on february 05, 2014

Purchased from: Andertons

Ease of Use: This pedal only has 4 knobs and a switch and is very simple to understand and use, it requires literally minutes to understand each setting. The tone print is a little bit more complicated and rather daunting to anyone who hasn't even used a delay with more than 4 parameters but again if you give it time the tone print can prove to be a really valuable addition to this pedal. The manual is fine, there is plenty of information available on the TC Electronic website. The different layers of control to this pedal are fantastic, being able to plug in and play but also having the level of control that the tone print offers, I seriously recommend this pedal to everyone looking for a reverb pedal. // 9

Sound: The Hall Of Fame is a digital reverb from TC Electronic, it features 10 different reverbs, Room, Hall, Spring, Plate, Church, Modulated Reverb, LoFi, Tile, Ambient and Gated reverb as well as an 11th, a tone print (allows you to build a reverb from the ground up in in software, controlling a huge range of otherwise unavailable parameters and load it into the pedal. I don't hesitate to say that all of these are outstanding, I especially love the Church and Modulated Reverbs, they're really suited my Noise Rock stuff but this pedal will work with all genres, its capable of delivering twangy spring and plate, subtle room reverb or crazy wide church sounds with a huge amount of decay. I don't think there is a better sounding reverb pedal for anywhere near this this price on the market today, TC Electronics have outdone themselves. There is the option to switch between buffered output and true bypass, The buffered mode allows your reverb trail to finish when switched off rather than simply killing all the wet, this does not happen in true bypass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The TC pedals are build like tanks and this is no exception. The finish is durable (and red!) and the metal case is really sturdy. I'm really pleased that to access the back there is only one large 'coin screw' rather than the traditional 4x Philips screws, this allows access to Battery power and the buffer/true bypass DIP switches. The knobs are smooth and reasonably easy to move with your foot while playing. The foot switch is durable, although a tiny bit harder to press than most normal foot switches but you get used to this quickly and fortunately reverb isn't an effect you'll be turning on and off throughout a song. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lo-fi, noise rock and I love using this pedal to flesh out textures and to add some character to my clean sound, I mostly use the church and modulated reverb. It works fantastically after a delay pedal or in fact at the end of any pedal chain. I'd definitely buy another were it to be stolen, it would be awesome if TC released a "Hall of Fame X4." I love the simplicity of this pedal, each setting sounds amazing and they seamlessly integrate into any song. I compared it to the Boss Reverb and I much prefered the TC because of its sound and its simplicity compared to the Boss pedal. // 8

Hall Of Fame Reverb Reviewed by: idma, on july 09, 2014

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: This thing is very easy to use. Plate setting seems to be the best middle of the road saturation of reverb. And the tone print is way easy to use. If you have an iPhone just beam the signal to your guitar pickups and it'll switch the tone print right there. Oh, and the knobs are easy to see and nice to push around with your foot on the fly. Which is why I like gigging with it. To set your tone you basically have 4 knobs and a preamp setting. The preamp settings (short or long) basically means that you want your effect to happen BEFORE your latest effect pedal or noise, or after. It makes a difference when you want to set your saturation of reverb. But just keep it at short if you don't know. This thing can also get real wet. Set your level knob to max and the reverb can take over your picking dynamics, which is what some people want. This does not have the ability to change the MOD setting, which is basically a reverb with phaser. So that's too bad. Its okay because I never use the MOD setting anyway. The manual is… okay. Doesn't explain more than the basic functions. In order to understand how to use the reverb pedal (or ANY pedal) musically you have to USE it. No words can describe how and when to use an effect. // 10

Sound: Since this is a very versatile pedal I use this when I play solo's in rock gigs, and when I play for my church band during worship times (which is basically rock but a little atmospheric). I'm using it with a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 on clean channel. Its true bypass so no tone suck and its not noisy at all when plugged in. The settings I use on the pedal are Room, Plate, Church, Ambient, and Steve Vai's Ocean Machine toneprint. The Ambient setting is when I'm playing acoustic and I want just a bit of body to my playing, especially If I'm playing by myself. I switch from room to plate to church depending on how intense I want my reverb to be. Church setting being the most intense. Steve Vai's Ocean Machine is the only setting for the HoF that has the shimmer effect, a la Strymon Blue Sky. Though the reverb on it is pretty saturated, so I use it on specific parts of a song. The HoF has all other basics of reverb covered so you really don't need to buy another reverb pedal to cover a specific sound... unless you REALLLLLYYY need that shimmer effect. Then go spend $300 on a Strymon Blue Sky cause that's really all its good for. How bright is the HoF? Not too bright. I keep the tone knob all the way up so its as clear as it gets. I wish it could be pushed to be more bright but even though the brightness may sound real nice when you're playing just by yourself, its not actually a good idea to over saturate yourself with reverb when playing in a band. Just remember, you have other instruments playing with you too. // 7

Reliability & Durability: TC Electronic pedals are built like a rock. It feels tight inside and the pedal is compact. Doesn't take too much real estate of your board. I use the pedal a lot in gigs and the button wear shows it. And I stomp HARD (cause I mean it!). No problems ever. Biggest problem I have is that this thing is a drain on batteries so use a power source. I've had it for over 2 years and gig with it every week. The colour is a deep red, which I LOVE. The finish won't come off. Knobs aren't too sensitive to movement. You could nudge it slightly without worrying that you pushed it too much. And the button has a nice satisfying CLICK to it. I don't like the pedals that have no click to it. I can't confirm if I hit it or not. In a live setting its important to have that. // 10

Overall Impression: As a musician that plays many styles of music I don't like to have more than one of the same type of pedal effect. I'm even against having two delays to create that U2 delay stacking sound from the Edge. Because of that I find the HoF to be a jack of all trades, Master of Spring, Plate, Room, and Ambient types of reverb. I have no need for the other settings. The Steve Vai Ocean Machine effect is interesting but too saturated to my tastes. But to date it's the only shimmer effect.

I play with a Godin Progression Boutique which is basically a Fender HSS Strat. This thing works well with single coils. It doesn't remove the quality of your picking dynamics at all. If I lost this thing I wouldn't fret about it as I'd have an excuse to try another pedal, but this one is particularity great to gig with.

Biggest problem I have are that it doesn't have a real shimmer effect. And I really like the Strymon Blue Sky for that. But you don't really NEED it. Also the button on the pedal. Its fairly hard to press. But its designed that way. Its kinda hard to describe it in words but If you were to press it with your finger(s) it takes some effort. But with your foot it doesn't take any effort at all. It takes some getting used to, but its solid and has a satisfying CLICK to it. I tried other reverb pedals in the same price range ($130-180) and this one beats them all in terms of versatility and sound quality. And I'm gonna say it again, get a Strymon Blue Sky for $300 if you REALLLLLYYY want that extra reverb that everybody is talking about. Don't get me wrong, the Blue Sky is amazing, but at $300 for just the shimmer effect, its not worth it. Mooer just built a shimmer reverb pedal but it works much differently than the Blue Sky, so I don't like it. The Electro-Harmonix Cathedral is real nice sounding reverb, but like the Strymon Blue Sky, it's a one trick pony. If I didn't mind having more than one type of effect pedal on my board, then I would pony up the money for these. But I'm not. // 8

More TC Electronic reviews rating category latest review