PolyTune 2 Review

manufacturer: TC Electronic date: 07/22/2014 category: Guitar Effects
TC Electronic: PolyTune 2
I've been recommending the PolyTune 2 to everyone I know since I bought mine, it's the best tuner I've ever used. It's incredibly accurate on the single string mode, but could be a bit more precise when tuning all strings together.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
PolyTune 2 Reviewed by: makutoid, on july 22, 2014

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: I've never opted to use any of the various settings on the PolyTune 2 in a live setting, but having played around with them a little bit at home it's obvious that the guys at TC have put a lot of effort into making this incredibly versatile. By programming it to recognise different tunings on the multi-string mode you can really speed up those annoying drop tunings half way through your set, and it's also pretty handy to use when your bass player forgets his tuner! These are all features that are easy to access and scroll between, there's not too much fumbling around to get anything how you want it. // 10

Sound: This is a fairly redundant field for a tuner review, so I don't have much to say. I use my PolyTune 2 from the tuner output on my Ernie Ball VP-JR, so it has no interaction with the rest of my signal, therefore I can't comment on anything regarding its sound or bypass abilities. I leave it as an always-on pedal from the VP-JR to reduce my tap dancing where possible, and have never had the need to put it in-line. By the quality of my other TC effects, I imagine it'd be perfect though. I may update when I've tried it in-line with some other effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As with all TC Electronic products, this is obviously built to last. The finish is good and looks pretty hard to scratch, as is the screen. The footswitch is a relatively soft-click one but feels perfectly sturdy nonetheless, so you can assume reliability. The brightness of the screen is fantastic, and auto adjusting as to not burn your eyes when playing a dark room. Very reliable, you won't have to squint to see it! The only time I ever interact with it other than when looking at it is to turn it on when I first power up my board, so I can't comment on extensive use, but it feels plenty strong enough. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been recommending the PolyTune 2 to everyone I know since I bought mine, it's the best tuner I've ever used. It's incredibly accurate on the single string mode, but could be a bit more precise when tuning all strings together. It seems to disagree when tuning all strings together, usually thinking that my low E and A strings are a little flat while the single string mode confirms them to be accurate. This isn't such a problem, as it's still closer than most tuners and a totally unique feature. I'd prefer it to remember whether it was on or off when you take the power out so that it returns to that state next time you use it, rather than defaulting to "off" when restarting, but that's pretty insignificant to its functionality.

Overall, fantastic! Should I ever do any other pedalboard projects I'll definitely have another one, and will continue to recommend to anyone who asks! // 9

More TC Electronic reviews rating category latest review