RPT-1 Nova Repeater Review

9.5
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RPT-1 Nova Repeater Reviewed by: Shady Weezul, on october 12, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: I've watched many reviews online of this particular delay pedal before I bought it, so I had a pretty solid idea of how it was going to work before it came. Like all TC products, it had a Stellar instruction manual that really helped explain everything in detail. It's a no frills delay pedal that boasts "no hidden features". I guess that's good for people who want a straightforward, no BS delay pedal (similar to the Boss DD-7 or something). Overall, I would say that it's quite easy to get a GREAT sound out of it. Pristine studio quality delays is what this pedal is all about. // 9

Sound: Like I said above, this thing has some splendid studio quality delays. It has six types of delay which include: Studio, Analog, Tape (almost PERFECT!), Dynamic, Reverse, and Ping-Pong. Along with it's different delay types, it has different note divisions for your delay. Those include: quarter note, dotted eighth note, triplet eighths, quarter note + dotted eighth, quarter note + triplet eighths, quarter note + eight note. My favorite combination is probably the studio delay with the dotted eighths. My favorite examples of delay include Paul Gilbert's "The Echo Song" and Buckethead's "Big Sur Moon". Both songs are easily reproduced with this pedal. This pedal can be used in your effects loop which is currently how I have it set up. It's also stereo but since I just use my half stack, I haven't tried it with another amp. You set up your delay range by selecting one of three ranges and from within that range selection, you use your delay knob to fine tune it. Sounds kind of confusing, but look at a picture of it and you'll understand what I'm talking about. It has a nifty kill-dry feature that is kind of trippy. All that gets sent from the pedal is your delays. The spillover function is kind of nice, too. When you turn your pedal off, rather than it killing all your delays abruptly, it lets them fade out naturally. You also have a cool modulation knob that lets you add either Vibrato or chorus to your delays. I use just a *pinch* of chorus to thicken the sound up a little bit. Next to the modulation knob you have your FX level which adjusts the level of the delays. It's all pretty self-explanitory once you have it sitting in front of you. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't tried gigging it, but based off of prior experiences with TC Electronic, I would say that you are safe to go without a backup. I still have my Memory Toy on my board, though. Just in case. The buttons don't give you that satisfactory "CLICK" that most other pedals do. They just kind of mush down into the pedal, but they feel solid enough. // 9

Overall Impression: Here is my ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT about this pedal. When you hit the ON/OFF button on this, the pedal is still powered up and is only in bypass mode. I prefer my other pedals when you hit the bypass Switch it kills power all together. I have to unplug this pedal from my power supply every time I'm done playing. Other than that, I couldn't be more satisfied with this pedal. // 9

More TC Electronic reviews rating category latest review