SansAmp GT2 Review

manufacturer: Tech 21 date: 08/24/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Tech 21: SansAmp GT2
?Architecturally? create your own rig in seconds. You can easily achieve the most sought-after tube amp sounds, and entirely new ones as well. Choose amplifier type, modification and speaker cabinet/mic placement configurations. You can easily mix and match specific sound characteristics in ways that would otherwise be physically improbable, probably impractical and definitely not cost effective. The GT2 is a truckload of great amps in a single, simple pedal.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.1
 8.9
reviews (3) 15 comments vote for this gear:
SansAmp GT2 Reviewed by: copet, on august 24, 2007

Ease of Use: The SansAmp GT2 was the first pedal I ever used, and for a newbie such as myself it was highly accessible. The manual goes over every effect it offers, and it even explains where you would put the pedal in relation to other pedals. The most helpful part is that the last few pages of the manual tell you the settings to imitate popular artists and styles, such as "Metallica" or "Classic Rock." It even has blank pictures of the pedal for you to write in your own presets. // 10

Sound: I use the SansAmp GT2 along with my Line 6 Spider II amp, and I must say that the SansAmp GT2 gives a better metal sound than the amp. I leave the amp on a clean tone and hit the pedal Switch to get my distortion, and fiddling with the volume on the amp is no problem since you can set the pedal output level prior to playing. Along with the High, Low, and Drive settings, the GT2 is able to imitate other amps, such as a Fender of Marshall, with the flick of a switch. Add the gain presets and the mic location switch and there are unlimited unique tones that can be produced from this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The model for the GT2 is sweet and simple, with nothing to worry about for performers. Encased in metal, I have No Doubt that the GT2 would withstand many stomps/drops/kicks. After all, mine is over 10 years old passed down from my father, and it still outplays any other preamp pedal that I've tried. // 10

Overall Impression: I have only played guitar for two years, but being able to use this pedal has made me sound years beyond my abilities, and being able to sound like the artists I admire has inspired me to work harder. The best part is that I now can Switch from clean to metal with the flick of a toe, reducing the time I spend fiddling around with my amp. I recommend this pedal for anyone in search of the perfect metal sound. // 10

SansAmp GT2 Reviewed by: santhony1987, on june 14, 2006

Ease of Use: This is a very cool little box. It is not hard to use at all, but then again I don't really find guitar effects of any kind difficult to work out. But this really isn't an effect. It's an amp modelling device and can be used to amplify a signal directly into a mixer, if wanted that is. If you just want to model amps, plug the out into your amp on the clean channel. I have no idea about the manual because I bought it second hand. It has 4 Knobs: level (output volume), high (high EQ), low (low EQ), drive (gain). It also has 3 3-way selector switches. Mic - off axis, center and classic (this is placement of mic on your speaker cabinet you want to emulate). Mod - clean, hi gain and hot wired (don't let the name fool you, mod just means channel basically). Amp - Tweed, British and California (3 different amps, not sure exactly what they are but I'm sure Tweed is a Fender, British is Marshall and California is Mesa Boogie). I give it an eight because I spose if your not familiar with some of the stuff it can be a bit daunting. // 8

Sound: This thing sounds awesome. The modelling is done beautifully. However there are a couple of flaws. This thing gets dirty, I have no idea why, but I keep having to spray some electrical cleaner into it every couple of months to keep it from buzzing and such, not a horrible task. Second, the fact that it has a hot wired feature means that theres alot of noise on that setting, solvable with a trust NS-2 though. Third, you'll need a power supply or own a battery factory because even though this thing can go a while without a battery change, the bypass gets weaker with aging batteries especially if you try to play clean through it. Apart from that, I'm pretty sure I can sound like almost anyone with this beauty. You can get many different tones by utilizing the 2 EQs on the pedal along with the EQ on your amp. I give it an eight simply cause the pros are better than the cons. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well it's made of metal, bad thing about this is you have to unscrew it in order to change the battery, but they might have fixed that problem. I have an old one. The knobs pull off after a while too but go back on easily with a form of adhesive. I won't embarrass myself any further by revealing my tactics in handling this. Apart from the knobs everything is sturdy. I've dropped mine on concrete and all sorts of crap and it still working. Seven for the crappy knobs. // 7

Overall Impression: Great pedal, gives you much more versatilliy in your sound. Makes a darn good distortion pedal too. Also, you can plug your guitar into this then run directly into your computer for recording purposes, of course not the best sound but ideal for getting ideas down. Wouldn't buy it again though... I need a decent amp so saving is the word. NYC would stand for New York City so I'm buggered for technical support... havn't needed it though. Tech 21 makes cool stuff fo shizzle! Nine! Because what more can u ask of humans? Nothings perfect. Except ofcourse crybabys. // 9

SansAmp GT2 Reviewed by: qriz, on march 05, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: It is fairly easy to use. There are 3 selector switches each with 3 options, so we have 27 possible settings at our hands. There is a "mic" switch, with a classic, center and off-axis setting, that emulates just that, where the recording microphone is placed. basically this defines how much mid/low range sound you get. The "mod" switch has a clean, hi-gain and a hot-wired setting. These settings emulte how much gain you add to the amp you have selected, and there is a good level of sound difference between them. The final Switch, the "amp" emulates 3 different amps, "tweed" - Fender, "brittish" - Marshall and "california" - Mesa-Boogie. There are also 4 Knobs: "level" -output volume, "high" -high EQ, "low" - low EQ and "drive" - gain/overdrive. These knobs make the 27 mods to an allmost endless amount of sound options. It has one foot-Switch to turn it etiher on or off, it has true-bypass. // 9

Sound: I run this through my small MG15DFX, which has an allright clean sound and plays an Ibanez RG2550EGX. My sound is now quite amazing, this lilte box as turned it into a tube amp, almost at least. The emulation of the 3 amps are really good, better than a Line 6 imo. You can get pretty much any sound out of it you want. If your amp is digital, you can get it to sound like a nice clean warm tube amp, get bluesy or just plain dark and heavy. If you want the old early Led Zeppelin (like Whole Lotta Love) or Deep Purple sound (like Smoke On The Water) sound you can get it, or if you are more into Metallica/Slayer you can get that sound too. If you are the lazy type, there is even a dedicated site at www, where you can find presets for many band and style sounds. The unit does not suck up yor tone, so you can get the most out of your guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought it used. The metal box has some scratches, but it is the sound not the looks I bought it for. It is a solid build box out of metal, and since it has surpassed at least one user before me, I guess it can survive me as weel, even though I migth take it with me in the grave. // 9

Overall Impression: I am very exited about this litle box, it makes my sound so much better and I can play any type of music with this. It is not the best thing to gig with if you plan on playing covers of different bands, as it takes a bit of time to adjust the settings, but have you found your own tone and uses it for that, no problem. What I would have liked was the possibility to have a clean channel as well, but if you look at it strictly as a distortion/overdrive pedal, just get yourselv a tube amp and stop whineing. You can get more options from other emulating effect pedal/pads, but I prefer a smaller amount (I don't need 40+ cabintes/amp models to choose from, I prefer a smaller but more accurate set of possibilities). I can highly reccommend the SansAmp GT2, this is the closest you can come to owning a tube amp -3 in fact. I would get another one rigth away if this was lost or stolen. // 9

More Tech 21 reviews rating category latest review