Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Review

manufacturer: Visual Sound date: 10/02/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Visual Sound: Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
The Jekyll And Hyde pedal is hugely impressive. It's as versatile and fiendishly handsome as you could possibly want and it doesn't cost a severed arm and leg. This pedal is without a shadowy figure of a doubt, the best-sounding overdrive pedal I've heard in a long time.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Ease of Use: 8.3
 8.5
 7.9
reviews (11) pictures (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2005

Purchased from: Can

Ease of Use: What initially attracted me to this pedal was the fact that it was basically two pedals in one and that you can choose them independently or together. True you could probably get a wide array of sounds, but I've never really tried to. I either use the Overdrive (Jeckyl) or both the Overdrive and distortion (Hyde) together (Jeckyl & Hyde). // 8

Sound: I play a Gibson Les Paul double cutaway with a Marshall TSL and matching cab. I always swore by the sound from my amp and never for a second thought a distortion or Overdrive pedal could ever replace my crunch and lead channels, but now that I have the Jeckyl & Hyde I use only the clean channel on my amp with the gain set to around 5. Sounds like a waste doesn't it? Well if you heard what the Jeckyl & Hyde can do, then chances are you'd agree. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The battery does die quickly, but now I have the Pedal Power II power supply to power my Jeckyl & Hyde and my two Line 6 pedals. The little rubber stoppers underneath the pedal didn't hold too long, but I eventually removed them all to apply velcro cause I made my own pedalboard. Aside from that the pedal is cool looking and pretty solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this pedal cause it fits in the pocket of my guitar case perfectly. Even if I have to go jam at a jam night somewhere without my own amp, I have no worries because I can bring my pedal with me. I couldn't imagine playing without it. // 9

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2011

Purchased from: Parkway Music, Clifton Park NY

Ease of Use: Overall its pretty easy to just plug in and go adjust your Drive settings for effect level and play on. With time you'll come to find your preferred settings on both sides (which I have taken a sharpie and marked out on the dials because they get knocked out of whack in transit). // 8

Sound: Mean, Mean, Mean, the distortion side is way out there awesome. Can get a bit feedbacky / noisy when the Drive is to the floor but pulling the reins in a bit will cure that. The Overdrive side will give you amazing tube Screamer esque tones with ease. I play with a Gretsch G5120 and the soul that flies out of the Fender Deluxe will melt knees. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Gig on a weekly basis, has survived 4+ years of transit and abuse. // 10

Overall Impression: Watch out with full-hollowbodies and the distortion, feedback ahoy when too overdriven, but you should know that. // 10

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2005

Ease of Use: This red-version Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive is supposedly a newer version to the Strokes' favourite silver version. It is basically two pedals in one; an Overdrive (Jekyll) with drive, tone and volume controls, and a distortion (Hyde) pedal; drive, tone, EQ and volume. With separate independent switches for each aspect or you can rock out with both settings blazing. The novelty of combining two channels can soon wear thin especially if you want something other than an '80s Cheese metal setting! // 6

Sound: The unit is nice to play with and the Overdrive channel is definitely my favourite. It is possible to get those Jimi Hendrix bluesy sounds that everyone loves, and then use the Hyde for solos. I play mine through a 30w Marshall Valvestate with channel switching and use an Epi Les Paul Standard. Strokes-a-like sounds are a possibility with this pedal just be prepared for some serious tweaking. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This unit eats batteries so if gigging change the batteries or invest in a Boss power adaptor. // 6

Overall Impression: I play Strokes/blues/Buckley style stuff quite loudly and this pedal can hold it's own. The only downside is that the distortion (H) is upstream of the Overdrive (J) so that if you just want to play the Hyde channel it ends up being too quite and the vol jump when switching can be huge. Overall the pedal is cool and the suggested settings really sound like they should from "British Stack" when rocking out Whole Lotta Love to Southern Rock for some Kings Of Leon it can just about handle it all. // 8

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: RPotts, on june 01, 2006

Ease of Use: I purchased this pedal from Guitar Center a few days ago and it has helped me get a full, rich sound even from my American Stratocasters relatively weak single coils (though I'm putting a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB in next week). It only took a minute for me to get used to it's relatively simple set up, it has seven knobs, two switches and two buttons (stompbox switches). It has two independent channels, one more of a bluesy overdrive, named Jekyll, and one harder distortion, the Hyde side of the pedal. Both sides have an volume knob, a tone knob and a drive knob. // 10

Sound: I'm currently playing with my American Stratocaster through a Fender Champ 12 All Tube amp. The effects are strong, and it's very easy to change the sounds to something different. You can even run both sides of the pedal, Overdrive and distortion at the same time, giving a huge sound, but it can give some, or lots, of feedback and hum. The Hyde has an EQ, which is a scoop to change from those those deep metal tones to the bright rock sonds. In addition the Jekyll (Overdrive) side has a bass boost which I like to add when I'm on my neck pickup to give it that SRV, thick sound. The Hyde (distortion) has a sharp/blunt side from switching to a smooth sound to a harsh, '80s rock guitar sound. The distortion is my favorite, when it's on blunt, because it's a very smooth overdrive, much better than a DS-1 or something. The overdrive, on single coils, is a little week but that'll be cured once I install my SH-4. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't really say, I've only had it for about a week, but as of now 0 problems. It's solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and blues/rock, I stay away from most metal, and pop crap. Some hard music is awesome, AC/DC is amazing, and I love their music, but by metal I mean, "nu-metal" and crap like that nowadays. This works well for most of the sounds I need. I've been playing for a little over a year, and I've only so far purchased this and a POD 2.0. I would take this sound over any of the POD drives anyday. The POD sounds weak, and tiny but the Jekyll sounds smooth, rich and full. If it were stolen I would say, "Shit, my Jekyll has been stolen." I would buy it again, but I would consider something else first. Nothings wrong with the Jekll but I'm not 100% convinced it's the best possible, maybe a ToneBone or something else for some more money. I love the thick sound this gives me from even a Stratocaster, and I don't hate the Sharp side of the Hyde, it just isn't what I'm looking for, but it doesn't make the pedal worse. I like the EQ (scoop) on the Hyde side, cause I can get a huge, low end, deep sound, even from a weak single coil. I chose it over a DS-1, even though it's three times as much because the DS-1 sounds like crap, and over a Tubescreamer because the overdrive side (Jekyll) is made to emulate the TS-808 and even uses the same chip. And it's about the same price as a Tubescreamer Reissue, plus it has the distortion. I wish it had just a little more drive on the Jekyll side but having the Hyde side makes up for it. // 9

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: Jakerno, on march 21, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Ease of Use: Pretty simple to use, takes some time to get the exact tone you're looking for, straight out of the box I started tweaking it and found pretty much what I was looking for. The manual only has some preset options, showing how to get blues, rock, country and metal tones by using the overdrive side or the distortion side. // 8

Sound: All the distortion/overdrive you'll ever need. There is a Ibanez TS808 on the left side which sounds almost identical to the real thing. And most of you out there are looking for OD pedals, and this is one of the best. Distortion side get go from a Boss DS-1 to Full Death Metal sounds from a twist of the "EQ" knob. I used a Vox AD50VT and an Epi Les Paul standard. The two switches for the OD side is "Bass Boost" and for the Dist. side is "Sharp/Blunt" are very usefull. Probably the best thing about this pedal is that you can use both sides at the same time. You play with the OD and then use the Dist. for boosting solos, or you could use both of them at high gain and really rock out. Although it gets very noisy and can cause feedback when you crank the gain and volume knobs. So use them wisely. This pedal is also a little noisy when playing in small spaces, but if your playing live, it's not bad. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for about 2 weeks so haven't had any problems yet. it's built like a tank though, so don't worry. My friend had the Route 66 for a long time and it still works perfectly. I recommend a 9V adapter with this pedal, batteries aren't that reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Great pedal for all types of music. Especially for classic rock. This pedal can do heavy metal too which makes it a crazy pedal. This is probably gonna be the only Distortion/Overdrive pedal I will ever have. It has everything you are looking for. Don't settle for less! // 9

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: youngapprentice, on july 24, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Ease of Use: I own the V2 series edition of the pedal and it is fairly simple to use. For those Who don't know, the unit is essentially two pedals: a tubescreamer clone and a very versatile distortion pedal. These can be used both together and individually, allowing for all sorts of possibilities. The manual that comes with the pedal gives some basic settings to start out with that cover genres from blues to metal. Pleasantly, I've found all the presets to be very accurate. The only nuisance is that the bass and noise gate controls are inside the pedal and you have to unscrew it to change them. However, I'll still give this category a 9 because I never need these controls; the tone's you can get will easily satisfy you without having to change these. // 9

Sound: I play a Mexican Stratocaster with a humbucker in the bridge through this and into a Fender Blues Junior. One detail I love about the pedal is that no matter the setting, it's built in noise gate keeps it from generating any bad noise. I only hum when using my single coils, but it's hardly any more than when the pedal is off. Then when I switch to my humbucker it's dead quiet unless the gain on both sides of the pedal is cranked, and even then it just creates feedback which can be used in a creative way. Both sides of this pedal take to my amp very well. One of my favorite uses for this pedal is to use the jekyll side with the gain up and the tone on my amp low which gives me a smooth and warm andy timmons like tone. I also play a fair amount of metal and the hyde side cranked allows me to achieve that as well. The only disappointment I have with the sound is that I wish the hyde distortion had a little more gain. Maybe I have a low quality humbucker, but with hyde cranked it comes just short of enough gain for a thick metal tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is quite sturdy and I have no fear of it breaking on me. Nonetheless, anything I pay this much for I take good care of and I don't foresee myself having any problems. I use the Visual Sound one spot to power my pedals, so batteries are also no concern. Particularly, I like how Visual Sound designed the pedal casing. It's design protects the knobs in case the pedal is dropped front first. Overall I'm sure it'll last me as long as I need it too. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of music; really just whatever inspires me at the time. With this pedal and my current setup, I can achieve almost any tone that I desire. My Fender gives me that essential pure clean tone, and this pedal gives me any tones above and beyond that. I use this with my H20 pedal (also from Visual Sound) and I feel like I'll never have to upgrade my rig. (at least not for several years) If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again. While it may lack the heavyness of a pedal focused on metal tones, it's ability to do everything else is such a convenience. // 9

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: MCR1996, on february 22, 2010

Ease of Use: The Visual Sound V2 Jeckyll & Hyde is extremely easy to use and very versatile. It took me no time at all to get a good sound out of it. The manual is very helpful as well, and comes with some great pre-sets to test it out on. It's deffinately my favorite pedal. // 10

Sound: I use a Line 6 Spider III 150 and a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom semi-hollow as well as a Gibson SG Special Faded. The pedal makes virtually no noise unless you turn the treble, distortion, and mid all the way up. If you do this, you will sometimes get a high-pitched ring. This pedal can give you any kind of overdrive/distortion sound you can think of. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not had this particular pedal for very long, but so far its been very reliable and holds up great. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about having a backup. Once again, this is an awesome pedal and it deffinately surpasses every single one of my standards. I've never seen anything that's better than this. // 10

Overall Impression: I'll play any music you put in front of me, but my favorite styles are blues and rock. I've been playing for about five years and have played many amps, guitars, and effects. This pedal can make almost any guitar sound good. If I ever lost it, I would deffinately get another one. The sound, duribility, and ease of use are all fantastic. Visual Sound is now one of my favorite brands. They give you everything you could want in a pedal at a very reasonable price. It is easy to tell the quality and effort put into these amazing pedals. I wish I could rate higher than 10! // 10

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: Necronomicon, on april 01, 2011

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Very easy to get a good, usable sound. A little more difficult to tune it to get the tones you want such as matching your favourite bands, but very possible. The manual is short and sweet, giving you the info you need and some sample settings to try. It has 2 stylized stomp box switches that you can use independently or both at the same time. // 8

Sound: I had an interesting experience with this pedal which is what drove me to write this review. I bought the pedal hearing amazing things about it. When it finally arrived I plugged in my Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR. I was less than impressed with the sounds I was getting from the pedal and spent at least an hour trying to figure out what was going on. The tone knob on the Overdrive channel only sounded different when it was past 3o'clock and the distortion channel was super trebly and sounded terrible. With the pedal disengaged everything sounded fine and when I flipped on the OD channel everything got flat and sounded like shit. I switched to the distortion channel on my amp to make sure my guitar was ok and it sounded way better than the pedal. I was feeling pretty let down and decided to plug in my Squier Telecaster Custom II to see if anything would be different. I plugged it in first on bypass and could hear no tone loss at all (none for the Schecter either). I flipped on the OD channel and the amp came alive. The tone knob worked well, the Drive swept from very little crunch to heavy distortion and it did not sound flat like my other guitar. The hyde (distortion) side sounded very good as well and I could achieve very useful distortion sounds. I have a feeling the high output EMGs in the Schecter are to blame (Tele has P90s). So the bottom line? Don't buy this pedal if you play active pickups, it will sound terrible. Otherwise the sound is beautiful and smooth. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It feels solid when you hold it and looks like it could really take a beating (even though I wouldn't try anyway). The bottom is rubberized and grippy and the knobs are solid and won't turn by accidentally touching them. I'd probably gig it without backup but I always worry about batteries on gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a bit of everything hence why I have both a Hellraiser FR and a P90'd telecaster among others. Mostly I play blues, hard rock, Paul Gilbert/Steve Vai style metal, and southern rock (strange as I'm from Toronto). This is a good match because it can stay quiet and not suck any tone from your amp when playing clean and then crunch up for southern rock and/or really kick in the distortion for metal. It's a very versatile and worthwhile pedal. There's nothing I really wish I asked before I bought it since I did a lot of research. On the other hand, I don't know if it's just me noticing the huge difference in responsiveness between active and passive pickups but that would've been nice to know before buying. If it was lost or stolen I'd probably just buy it again, it's a TS808 + a smooth distortion pedal.. what else do you need? I compared it to LOT of other products and found it was the best one at its price point, namely because most other twin distortion pedals are very expensive. I wish it came with a power adapter but that's no biggie. Great pedal, going to bring me lots of fun in future :) // 10

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: LeapingTortoise, on january 04, 2012

Price paid: A$ 150

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: To Clarify my 7, I'll split this into two segments: Jekyll Overdrive Ease of use: 10 The Jekyll (Overdrive) side of this pedal is incredibly easy to use. Turn the tone or Drive (and volume) knobs any which way and you'll get a good sound out of it. I generally leave Tone on full, and just adjust the drive. Hyde Distortion Ease of Use: 5 I would probably give this one a lower score except for the presets that come with the pedal. I've found that this pedal takes a fair bit of tweaking to get what you want. Not something you'd want to fiddle with in the middle of a set, whereas this isn't the problem on the Overdrive side. // 7

Sound: I play through a Gretsch Penguin with a clean boost (Xotic RC Boost/VL Sparkle Drive) before it. I play through an AC30. The Overdrive for this pedal is very very good! I started out with this as my first pedal and could use the OD side as a clean boost, or turn the Drive right up and get that real punch. The distortion side I found a little trickier. I started out using a few presets that are given to you in the manual, they sounded quite good but it took a while before I could start playing with this side of the pedal to get a good distortion out of it. It's not a bad distortion either, although I'd be more into something like the Dark Matter distortion from TC (Which I now use). I do still use the distortion side however it's usually as an addition to the OD, having the two on together, combined with the Penguin, a little reverb and the AC30, boy oh boy is that a very good sound! I will mention that when you turn the Drive up, like most pedals, you get a little hum. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far I've been able to depend on it, it's been 3 years and it's gone well. I don't know about the long run but I have dropped this baby a few times and it's still going strong. It's made from a good aluminium (I'm Australian) casing and I'd guess that the internals are at least a little resilient. If it does fail then I can go to my Sparkle Drive and Dark Matter, but that's generally a matter of sound, rather than reliability. I honestly can't say how it will fair in the long run but it's been good so far. // 9

Overall Impression: So I mostly play alternative/rock/church music (such as Hillsong), This OD is a great match for all of the above, and the Distortion is good for the alternative/rock. In short, if this were lost or stolen I would replace it, but most likely with the "Route 66" from Visual sounds, which is the Jekyll Overdrive part of the Jekyll And Hyde, but that's mostly because I've now started leaning more towards the church music and I prefer the distortion from my Dark Matter. In Summary: Wonderful Overdrive (One of the best, in my opinion) and decent distortion. I'd probably recommend the Route 66 if you're just playing soft rock or church music but otherwise it's a great pedal! // 8

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: MGT410, on october 02, 2012

Ease of Use: While it sounds more than decent out of the box, the Jeckyl & Hyde is a pedal that truly rewards you for tweaking those knobs just right. I personally do not have the manual for this pedal, as I acquired it in a trade. I do not know the revision number, but I do know that my pedal is the V1 version. The V2 is currently in production, which, beyond adding better noise suppression and a sleeker design, doesn't appear to be that much different tonally from its predecessor. That said, I haven't tried the V2 just yet. // 7

Sound: I use quite a few guitars, the two main ones being my Epiphone Les Paul Classic (H/H uncovered), and my H/S/H Ibanez GIO, modified with a Seymour Duncan P-Rail in the bridge, and with the middle pickup set out of phase. I also use it a fair amount with my first no-name junk shop guitar that I modified with a DiMarzio BC-2 Mini-Bucker in the bridge. My amp setup is also a little unorthodox. I run a solid-state Laney LX65R through a Trace Elliot 4X12 intended for bass guitars. The cab is more for increased volume and more present low end than anything else. The Jeckyl & Hyde must be pretty transparent when it comes to hum, as I can't think of an instance where I was bothered by it. Setting the Hyde side's gain knob to full blast will create some feedback, but that's par for the course when you're diming such a gnarly distortion. I mainly use the Jeckyl side as a boost instead of a distortion, mainly because it won't do much for my solid-state setup anyway. That's not to say it doesn't kick my clean channel in the ass a bunch. I've heard that the Jeckyl's circuit is a Tube Screamer clone, and it sure as heck sounds like one. I leave the bass boost switch on at all times. Single note runs and mellower solos are very nicely accentuated by this Overdrive unit. My setting for the Jeckyl side has the white lines on the Drive and Tone knobs facing each other. The Hyde side of the pedal has become my main distortion effect among my four different distortion boxes. It's simply monstrous pretty much anywhere you turn the dials, but when you find the right spot on it, you won't change it around very often. I get a great grungey tone out of it without any mud with the tone dial at 9 o'clock and the EQ at 3 o'clock (the Drive is always dimed). It's a very tight, growly tone reminiscent of "Dookie"-era Green Day, or Kurt Cobain's live 'kronng' kind of sound. I personally keep the sharp/blunt switch set to blunt. I'll note that with my setup, the sharp setting was very grating when playing with the bridge pickups, but that might just be because I put HOT humbuckers in all my bridge positions. Using both circuits together with both Drive knobs dimed will unleash an interesting over-the-top fuzzy tone. This setting is definitely not for everyone, I just personally enjoy ridiculous noise sometimes. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal sports one of the sturdiest (and nicest) looking chassis I've ever seen. There's absolutely nothing fragile about it. I would definitely depend on it for every gig with no backup. As for the apparent issue of how this thing chews through batteries like Timbits, I wouldn't know because I bought a 1-Spot 9V Daisy Chain. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock music of all kinds, but mostly heavier stuff. I've been playing for eight years. My pedal chain looks like this, from guitar to amp: DigiTech Whammy 5th Gen, EHX Big Muff Pi Reissue, Visual Sound Jeckyl & Hyde V1, Boss Metal Zone, Visual Sound H2O Chorus & Echo, Daphon Flanger, Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter. I have five electric guitars; Epiphone Les Paul Classic, Ibanez GIO, Squier Bullet Strat, Peavey Raptor Plus, Burswood Strat knockoff. All of my guitars have HOT pickups installed in the bridge along with other modifications. If my pedal got swiped, I'd certainly replace it if I had the cash to do so, although I might try out the Son Of Hyde before buying another Jeckyl & Hyde. I use my Big Muff Pi quite a lot, but when I'm playing a song that's a little more nuanced, I prefer the Jeckyl & Hyde to the Pi's full-on assault. I use the Jeckyl & Hyde any time I need a more mid-happy distortion effect than the super-scooped Muff. The one and only gripe I have about it is that the Sharp setting just seems to add way too much treble than is needed, but again, that might just be my own equipment. The on/off switches are placed fairly close together as well, but that's only a problem for me because I wear big boots on stage. I love the overall smoothness this pedal achieves while not having to sacrifice the extreme growliness and intensity of the distortion. This is a tone-chasers' dream come true. // 9

Jekyll And Hyde Ultimate Overdrive Reviewed by: the$trokesrock, on march 04, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center

Ease of Use: Well I have to say it is very easy to use I never had a problem with finding my own tone it's very simple. The manual that comes with it is great it shows you some great combinations you can use. It's also very easy to adjust the sound and mood of your pedal because it has very simple knobs Volume Tone Gain for Overdrive then for Distortion Gain Med Treb Volume it's pretty straight forward. // 10

Sound: Well I have a small Roland Cube and I use a Fender strat Ibenez Semi hollow body and an ESP LTD MH-250NT and the pedal seems to be made for all of them it is such a great sound you can get almost any sound you want from it. The Overdrive is amazing and the Distortion is great too and the two together is unbelievably awesome! I still wish that it had a Switch that would lower the volume when you are using both effects separately in a song. // 9

Reliability & Durability: it's as strong as a Boss pedal but the battery life is short so don't use a battery on it. I have had it for over a year and only one time did I think it broke so I picked it up and threw it as hard as I could on the ground... Then I realized that it was just a bad cord that I was using so I switched cords plugged in the pedal and it still worked so it can take a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music and it hit's the spot. I have been playing for 2 years. If this was stolen for me I would hunt the person who stole it down and tear off their legs that's how much this pedal means to me. I love everything about it and hate nothing. Favorite feature is the sharp and blunt Switch which can change the mood of you sound in an instant. // 10

More Visual Sound reviews rating category latest review