VEP4 Must Drive Analog Overdrive Review

8.8
review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
VEP4 Must Drive Analog Overdrive Reviewed by: incantor98, on april 26, 2013

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: This review is for the Vitoos 'Must Drive' Analog Overdrive pedal. Fairly easy setup, with the standard 1/4" input & output jks, 9v adapter, and three knobs: Volume, Tone, and Drive. The pedal itself is screen-printed metal, and feel surprisingly sturdy. The sound through my JCA20 is a rich, harmonic overdrive. Volume, of course, is the signal level sent to the amplifier, Tone is the basic EQ adjustment, and Drive is the Overdrive boost. It is quite easy to get a good, harmonic OD sound with this pedal, but my only real complaint is that the Drive knob doesn't appear to make much difference after the 12 o'clock position. Also, the pedal is not very versatile, but it is quite good at what it does. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal in a chain with a DigiTech DigiVerb, going to my JCA20H head with 2x12" cabinet. It sounds very good with both my Alnico II Strat and P90 Strat. It is an analog pedal with true bypass, and is not noisy in the slightest. The Overdrive is pretty old-school, and perfect for blues-rock and classic rock sounds. I play a lot of these sounds lie The Who and ZZ Top, and this pedal sounds great. It definitely is not the pedal of choice for metalheads, or anything with the word "extreme" in it. As mentioned above, it really only does one thing, but it does that one thing with surprising bang for the buck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It actually feel surprisingly sturdy for the price, and for being made in China. It is, as previously stated, made of metal with a screen-printed graphic - very colorful! Despite the very cheap eBay price, the knobs and switch do not feel flimsy at all. I would not take it to a gig without a backup, but as of yet I have had zero issues with this unit. (For backup I wold probably bring my DigiTech Bad Monkey pedal - it's not that I think this pedal will break, but I never play without a backup of some kind.) // 8

Overall Impression: As mentioned above, I mostly play blues-influenced rock, like The Who, ZZ Top and the Stones, and this pedal creates a great "vintage" over-drive sound to go with this style. I have yet to try this pedal with humbuckers, but I assume from the rich harmonics I hear with single-coils that it will be more than up for the job. The only drawback I have with this pedal is the lack of versatility, but, as stated, it really kills the over-driven blues tone. To summarize, I would put this pedal up against the DigiTech Bad Monkey, though it is a bit less versatile. If it were lost or stolen, at this point I would shell out the cash for another. Truly a bargain at $33 shipped! Video from YouTube:

// 9