Micro Vibe Review

manufacturer: Voodoo Lab date: 02/18/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Voodoo Lab: Micro Vibe
If you want a sanely priced vibe or a new way to slaughter your audience this maybe the pedal for you.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
reviews (2) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Micro Vibe Reviewed by: losing battle, on april 12, 2012

Purchased from: sam ash

Ease of Use: It has two knobs, speed and intensity it is not that hard I remember the manual had 2-3 setting in it to help you get an idea of what tones you can get from it. The manual was pretty standard fare of don't do this don't do that, like don't adjust the internal trimpots etc, etc. Because if they would be a royal pain to reset to factory setting especially if you don't have access to a fresh Micro Vibe. // 7

Sound: My current set up is a Gibson LP to a Boss OC3 > Dano Transparent OD V > Pro Co Turbo Rat > Micro Vibe > BBE Two Timer > BBE Sonic Stomp > ISP Decimator > Ampeg 50H > Randall 2x12 with Celetions. It sounds amazing in my opinion. I noticed while it is turned on there is a slight volume boost and mild scooping of your mids, so if you don't want to scoop your mids add a splash more from your amp and its not that big of a deal. From the manual you can get a pretty good Hendrix tone and I have gotten some cool tones for Pink Floyd. Strangely enough I use this pedal to play metal so that slight scoop and volume boost actually becomes an asset instead of a liability. I usually set it at 9 o'clock and max. (Intensity and speed respectively) When you turn up the intensity it starts having a phazer like sound, and the speed control acts like a rate knob for a tremolo but instead of cutting the volume out completely it acts more like a rotary. Lastly I will say that it does not like having both the intensity and speed knobs turned up all the way with heavy distortion it tends to turn into a whirling mess. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes, it survived 6 years of abuse and has no signs of slowing down. Meaning 1000s of hours of use and on and off cycles of me stomping on it, the only thing that broke was a screw that held a knob on. // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing I wish it had was a tap tempo switch or a second speed knob or switch. The original knobs are big enough to control with your feet anyway. I have a us size thirteen foot and it wasn't that bad for me so. Lost or stolen I would buy a new one with out thinking about it. Lastly I've been playing for 8 years. So if you want a sanely priced vibe or a new way to slaughter your audience this maybe the pedal for you. // 7

Micro Vibe Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on february 18, 2014

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: It has only 2 knobs level & speed, but you can expect the tone darkening, which for some reasons could be a deal breaker. Frankly rotating speaker effects can do this, unless you want to spend thousands & hire 2 guys to haul the thing around! It does rotate faster then any rotary speaker effect pedal I have ever heard. I do wish it was more transparent as a Leslie, but not the case... I still love the pedal as it is so compact & no expression pedal to haul around. There is no USB ports & such but such a very narrow use, specific one trick pony it couldn't be easier! // 10

Sound: First this effect has a very specific purpose & sound. All these years the rotating speaker effect that has been recorded in rock music was done with many different devices... from Hendrix, Gilmour, Trower, SRV, the huge, heavy, expensive Leslie speaker ruled over all. One of the first pedals was the Univibe stomp with speed pedal. Besides gigging, I enjoy all the greats that have used this effect & love the micro vibe. It does darken the sound, with slight volume boost but typical gigging not typically used so much. Strats, 53 Fender Esquire my Dad bought new, '87 PRS > Fuchs OD30, Kendrick Gig Rig the Micro sounds great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It appears to be built well & has been dependable for a ton of woodshedding in the bedroom. I can't speak to heavy use but it seems as good & better than many pedals I have. I love EH Electro-Harmonix gear especially Deluxe Memory Boy, but my small clone seems to be stamped steel... Not one solid chunk... ala TS-9. I owned a Sparkle Drive and it held up fine with a lot of gigs under it's belt! I assume this one will hold up just as well... so far so good! I place it before delay, but one should experiment & see what works on your board, with your effects. // 9

Overall Impression: All these years the rotating speaker effect that has been recorded in rock music was done with many different devices... From full blown expensive, and very heavy Leslie rotating speakers ala' Hendrix, SRV, Trower, to smaller rack mount devices, and pedals, especially the Univibe. I owned a reissue Univibe complete with expression pedal & bought the micro vibe as well. Several guitar buddies that know tone were amazed that the micro sounded deeper, & much faster. Given the micro vibe being better than about 3 others I have tried, small, & minimal use I'm very impressed especially at this price! // 9

More Voodoo Lab reviews rating category latest review