Superfuzz Review

manufacturer: Voodoo Lab date: 07/06/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Voodoo Lab: Superfuzz
The Voodoo Lab Superfuzz starts with this classic fuzz design and adds unique tone and resonance circuits to create an amazing new array of fuzz tones.
 Ease of Use: 9
 9.5
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Superfuzz Reviewed by: MisterChainsaw, on january 17, 2005

Ease of Use: The use of this fuzz pedal is the easiest I have ever used. There is four knobs for volume, tone, reconosence and attack. // 8

Sound: The setup is very easy, you just plug in one cord from the amp to the input, then another from the output to your guitar/bass. It is not noisy at all the sound is very rich and can be loud like a normal distortion you want. Any setting you have this pedal on it sounds amazing. I can get a wide range of sounds out of this pedal from Pink Floyd to Jimi Hendrix to Nirvana. The Fuzz is very Jimi Hendrix-esque because it is based around his sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The durability of this pedal is amazing. I have dropped it, stomped on it very hard and even thrown it, and it hold up to any beating I can give it. I would definetely play a gig without backup with this pedal, and I have a few times, it held up perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of styles of music such as rock, classic rock, blues and metal and this pedal holds up to any sound I want to play at that time. I have been playing for two years and I also have a DOD Death Metal Distortion pedal and that is nothing compared to this. If it was stolen or lost (Heaven Forbid) I would be sad then I would buy it again, because I charish this pedal more than my guitar. I love everything about this pedal, from it's appearance, to it's sound, even it's hardware. The only thing that annoys me sometimes is that the knobs get in the wayn when you want to step on it, because they are kind of close, but as long as you're careful it's not a big deal. My favourite feature is the design on it: black background with green smoke effect painted on. I really didn't compare it to other products because a friend of mine has the same pedal, I used it and fell in love, so I went out and bought one. I don't wish it had anything I love the sound it is amazing. // 10

Superfuzz Reviewed by: PumpkinPieces, on july 17, 2008

Ease of Use: The Superfuzz has four knobs volume, resonance, tone, and attack (essentially a "fuzz" or "gain" control). I didn't receive a manual with it but it's pretty easy to figure out by yourself. The only tedious thing is unscrewing the back plate if you want to replace the battery. Other than that the Superfuzz makes it easy to find the sound you want. // 9

Sound: I used my Gibson SG Classic with a Fender FM-100 head through a Marshall cab. The pedal isn't noisy at all on any settings, it's a rather polite fuzz pedal. No matter what setting it's on the fuzz always sounds pretty good and gives a more classic vibe than I'd want. If you want a good classic rock fuzz, this is your pedal, but if you're like me and want an out of control, destroy your tone fuzz, this isn't for you. Sure you can get some modern sounds for metal or to get that Nevermind sound, but you couldn't achieve a Jack White type of fuzz with this pedal. Despite the pedals inability to fit my style it's still a great pedal and sounds great on any setting. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The enclosure is pretty sturdy and the knobs are screwed on so I doubt this sucker would fall apart or break unless you threw it against the wall five or ten times. Looking at the pedal everything looked pretty tight and secure, even the design looks like it wouldn't wear off from moderate use. If I took it on stage I wouldn't need a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: My band plays a medley of alternative-grunge-punk-sometimes noise rock and this pedal isn't a very good match. Especially since it costs $130 new, you'd be better off saving your money by buying a Big Muff or buying a boutique fuzz (Devi Ever, Death By Audio, etc.) I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I've owned plenty of fuzz pedals including a Big muff, and personally I'd rather be playing a big Muff than this but that's because I play a certain style of music. I love the pedals tone and classic vibe, but I hate that it can't go over the top and viciously destroy my guitar. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't replace it, but I'd suggest the pedal to people who are looking for a nice fuzz pedal that doesn't go over the edge. // 7

Superfuzz Reviewed by: Kuntekin, on july 06, 2012

Purchased from: Local dealer, fresh

Ease of Use: I was searching for some fuzz pedal that would suit both my mellow fuzzy stoner rock, Sabbath-esque tones and Hendrix/Cream like fuzzy single coil tones, and this was the pedal that I liked the most. I barely even read the manual, started dialing in tones right away when I've put it in front of the amp. This baby has four knobs; "Level - Resonance - Tone - Attack". The "Attack" knob is basically Drive/Gain, and controls the amount of fuzz given out by the pedal. The "Resonance" knob controls basically the lows and low mids, how dense and boomy they are, with Level being the pedal output, and Tone being the mid hump similar to an Overdrive pedal, but it's pretty scooped when it's at zero. It's pretty easy, you definitely get the hang of it after fiddling around for a few minutes. And it ain't noisy at all, at moderate gain settings I don't even use my ISP Decimator Noise Suppression. // 10

Sound: I use this fella in front of the 5150's clean channel with gain at 4, with a Schecter C-1 Exotic equipped with SH6-SH2N pickups, into an Engl 2x12 V30 cab. I usually run the amp almost mid-scooped with slightly less treble and more presence for the bite, and the pedal is kinda like Level maxed, Resonance maxed, Tone very minimal or @9 o'clock at most, and Attack varying around 9 o'clock - 11 o'clock depending on how much gain I need, and I personally like to blend the gain with the amp's low gain settings. When coil tapped, it really suits the late 60's/early 70's Vintage fuzzy acid/psychedelic rock tones ala Cream, Hendrix, Iron Butterfly and many more. And if I ain't wrong, this pedal is kind of an improved replica of Jordan Electronics Bosstone from the sixties. When used on higher gain and more extreme settings, it easily gets into Black Sabbath/Witchfinder General/Pentagram-esque 70's/80's heavy/stoner/doom territory, hell I suppose it could nail the Kyuss' "Blues For The Red Sun" when run into a non master volume tube amp and a bass cabinet. I use it as my main fuzz pedal, for not-that-extreme stoner rock tones, and I love just how it suits the genre. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems a bit sturdy, and the build quality seems great, but it's kinda lightweight and not sure if the casing is durable to workhorse purposes, but I would be looking after it like it's my own kid, so I doubt there would be a need for a backup. The circuit board seems very clean and nice too, not that I'm an experienced tech/electronics engineer, just wanted to say that it's pretty clean and clear. // 8

Overall Impression: For Vintage fuzzy tones, this could be considered one of the ultimate fuzz pedals, and also suits Vintage stoner/doom tones easily. Definitely not a pedal for sludge metal though, you need something more filthy, gainy and extreme for that purpose. I'd been playing for around 3 years, and I own a 5150, an Engl 2x12 V30 cab and a bunch of pedals, and this guy gets along pretty well, regardless of how "modern metal" my gear screams out. I'd probably buy another one, or get something very similar if it would be stolen or lost. The feature that I love the most is how boomy it can get with the use of the Resonance knob, for which I've seen many fuzz pedals fail when trying to achieve this, and it never loses clarity since it does not sound extremely farty, in comparison to the Big Muff or the Boss Fz-2. I especially love how creamy it sounds when I switch to the neck pickup coil-tapped, it screams out 60's psychedelic rock at that situation. If you're in the market for some boutique but not extremely expensive fuzz pedal, I'd definitely recommend this little fella. // 9

More Voodoo Lab reviews rating category latest review