Classic Wah Wah V845 Review

7.3
reviews (4) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Wah Wah V845 Reviewed by: guitar-noob=P, on february 22, 2011

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

Ease of Use: To get the pedal working you simple, as with most effects pedals put in a 9V battery which you fit by removing the 4 rubber feet at the bottom, no need for a screwdriver on mine as the screws aren't screwed in so tight so I can just turn the rubber feet and they will unscrew the screws. Or you can use a 9V power supply (which as with all pedals I would recommend as the pedal seems to have a stronger effect when used with a power supply.) Its very easy to use just just tilt moving part of the pedal up and down to get a sound out of it and press down fairly hard to put it on to bypass mode and the same to turn it back on. The pedal only has 1 sound there are no dials to change the range of the sweep of the Wah which is a bit of a downer but not so bad its got a decent set sound with it. // 10

Sound: I've used the Wah through various amp such as my Roland Cube 15X and my Peavey Rage 158, and its been used in a Randal half stack aswell ( it sounds great through the halfstack)i use an Ibanex GRG170DX. I usualy use this pedal with my pedal board which doesn't realy make it sound any different. The pedals overal sound is fairly decent but a bit dull for my liking it falls down when you tilt it right back so it emphasises the lowers strings sound but then makes the higher strings sound dull but when titled forward the sound is fine, another downside is when you use on very high distortion it sounds worse, so when I use high distortions I use the Boss ME-25s built in wah because that doesn't sound nearly as bad when on high distortion. The last criticism I have is when on clean it distorts the clean sound when in use a little but not overly unbearable. I would give this a 6 but I feel thats too low, because apart from its flaws it has good point such as the bypass is very good and the fact its sound reminds me vaguely of Jimi hendrix's Wah sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: At the moment I use it at home but have used it with bands in rehearsals and it fairs very well, its metal chassis mean you can kick it about ( not the I recommend doing that)and not worry about it breaking unless you threw it at a wall, although I'd put a 9V battery in even when using the power supply incase you pull out the power supply with your foot which I've done and its anoying to have to stop playing to reconnect a cable. If I were to gig I would use this and my pedal board as back up while I used my Boss ME-25 as my main rig as its easier to use and has more better quality sounds than my average sounding Behringer pedals. Its never stopped working for any reason but I feel the foot piece be broken easily with alot of abuse but I haven't trested that out so I can't realy say it will its just an asumption I've made from how it feels when using it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything from Punk such as Ramones, Green Day the sex pistols to stuff such as Poison (talk dirty to me anyone? ) along with alot of rock and metal but in my band their tastes aren't as heavy as mine so we play alot of soft and pop rock such as Kings of Leon and Pink, I've been playing for over 2 years now and I also own a Boss ME -25 and a pedal board both of which I've already mention (I prefer the Bosses sound to my pedal board). I wish it has a dial to vary the sweep of the pedal and that it could handle high gains but it is a classic Wah as the name points out so I understand why it can't handle high gains and probably doesn't have a dial because its meant to replicate (I think) one of the first Wah whas made so I'm guessing the first Wah didn't have a variation dial. It doesn't need a manual unless your a new player and have never used pedals but it says instrument and amplifier on the rubber top of the pedal to indicate which in the input and output socket. Lastly if it were stolen I would attack the person who did steal it and I'd buy either this Wah again or save for a better one as this is overal just a Decent pedal for my tastes. I'd give it a 7.5. // 7

Classic Wah Wah V845 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2011

Purchased from: Tom Lee, Hong Kong

Ease of Use: Well, once it is set up, it's just a pedal, so how hard can it be? But I found it very frustrating. As a complete novice to all this, I'm maybe a bit of a dunce, but I thought having to fetch a screwdriver then go about dismantling the bleedin thing, was ridiculous. Anyway, I stuck a battery in it and screwed it back together, but then (AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH) it didn't come with the cable. The box only had the pedal in it. No battery and no cable. So it was not a promising start. Also, to switch the thing off or on, I have to almost stand up to enable me to exert sufficient pressure (and I aint light). // 2

Sound: As I have said, I'm a complete novice, but I've always wanted an electric guitar. At the same time I bought this pedal, I also bought an Ibanez AS 73 1V and a Fender Super Champ XD amp. The guitar sounds great through the amp, but it took me days to figure out which settings get the best results and the amp continuously emits a "sssshhhhhhhh", but I think that may be something I'm doing wrong and I'll hopefully figure it out. But the "ssssssshhhhhhhhh" is completely intrusive when the pedal is connected. The "wah" effect is nice, but I find it very limited. OK, so it goes wah, a bit - er, is that it? I'm afraid that is it. A little Wah and I kind of find myself asking, "well, what now?" At the bottom, the sound is dull and the top strings all but inaudible, so to get the effect over all 6 strings, I just leave the bloody thing pushed flat and then occassionally dip it a little. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It seems very sturdy, to me, almost industrial. I'm just a novice, so it will only sit in the small room I have, just for my music, so I'm not going to be dragging it around gigs etc. But it does seem very strong. I can't comment on reliability, cos I've just bought it. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't have a style, because I can't really play. I download the chords from my favourite bands and try to play the songs. Neil Young, Floyd, Roger Waters, Elbow, Eels, The Stones, Black Rebel M C, The Clash - I love loads of different stuff, like everyone, I suppose. If it were lost, stolen or broken, I wouldn't get another. I had to choose this because the pedal I wanted was out of stock (Dunlop Cry Baby) and I took this on the sellers advice. I might even break it myself. // 2

Classic Wah Wah V845 Reviewed by: nikeinajar, on april 21, 2011

Ease of Use: The rubber feet that stop the pedal from going to far forward have some sort of problem to where I can not push the Switch to turn the unit on/off, at first I didn't even know it had an on/off Switch being that it was always on. The only reason I give it a 5 is the fact other than mine will not turn on/off without me sticking my finger under the pedal's foot control to push the switch, it is very easy to use. The rocking feature of the pedal is smooth and stays where it should when you take your foot off. Super simple design is a major plus. // 5

Sound: I'm playing a Gibson les paul double cut with a 500t ceramic bridge pickup trough an Orange Rocker 30 head with an Orange ppc 212 cab. The Wah does an excellent job of bringing out the high's and lows but it adds this horrid hiss to the tone of my amp which really wrecks it for me. I'm a tone-o-holic and it makes it sound like I'm listening myself play through a vinyl record and gramophone. If that's what you're looking for then go for it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is solid as a rock, I could run this thing over with my car and it would probably still work. No need for a backup, make sure you're using a fresh 9v battery though. // 10

Overall Impression: I received this as a present from my fiance, she was correct in that I needed a Wah pedal. I play experimental math rock/jazz so a Wah comes in handy to help get new cool sounds out of other effects. But this Wah pedal has caused me a bit of problems, so much so that I need to take it back and have yet to fully incorporate it into my pedalboard. I have a bunch of other pedals on my board I don't feel like listing them all. If it were lost or stolen I would be upset but over all I would probably go with a Fulltone Wah pedal for my next wah. // 6

Classic Wah Wah V845 Reviewed by: seppe vde, on march 18, 2013

Ease of Use: I purchased this unit last week, easy to use, about the manual: easy to read and understand. Only thing wich might be a bit difficult is pressing it on and off, I placed it on my pedaltrain pedalboard, after a while it'll get easy to press on it. It has one output and one input, no other knobs, I think it's an affordable price for a Wah pedal, I use a 9 volt adaptor (one spot visual adaptor, I also use it for my other pedals) if you only use the pedal without anything else (distortion, EQ, chorus, phaser) you'll get a nice sound, if you use it with other effects you need to think where you're going to place it, don't be afraid to experiment. // 6

Sound: My setup consists of a Roland Cube 80X and an old Roland Cube 60X, I use a Bespeco guitar cable, my main guitar is a self-build "hurricane"(great sound, not too much feedback) with humbuckers. My effects, I use a Boss volume pedal which goes into an Electro-Harmonix germanium muff, wich goes into my Vox ToneLab ST (great multi fx) then goes to a Marshall echohead, into my Vox Wah Wah pedal into a electro harmonix muff overdrive. The Wah pedal sounds very different when placed after a distortion pedal, when you place it after, you'll get the most out of it, it has a high range, and combined with the Tonelab it sounds great, you can also make the "seagull" effect from Pink Floyd's "Echoes" by reversing the cables, so that the amp goes into the input, and the guitar goes into the output, pedal needs to pressed down, then you can manipulate the sound using your tone knob. I play a lot of Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Motorhead, the sound is great, try to experiment with distortions and delays combined, you'll get some great sounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's a strong unit, like the Tonelab, I always use it, and I can always depend on it. The pedal itself is 25 cm long (estimated) you'll need to press hard on it to get the thing on and off, I don't think it'll break fast, it's great to have a Wah pedal like this, nice price, black colour, when you want to use it with a battery, it's also easy, just remove the four black feet at the bottom. I'll use it anytime for a gig, I could use it on a gig without something else, but mostly I'll use my whole pedalboard, if it'd be broke on a gig, I'd still would have a backup, there's a built-in Wah pedal in the Vox Tonelab, I'd rather use the classic one, better sound quality. // 7

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock, hard rock, prog rock, thrash metal, alternative, a bit of jazz, great thing is, a Wah pedal can be used in every genre of music, mostly, I've been playing for 3 years now, I also started playing bass, and also a bit of drums, my other gear consists of: Boss 500 volume pedal, Germanium Big Muff (Electro-Harmonix) Vox ToneLab ST, Marshall Echohead, Electro-Harmonix Muff Overdrive. Vox Wah Wah pedal, Boss FS 5U footswitch and Roland Cube 80x, it was great that I had the chance to test it in the store, always try other pedals too, that way you can compare the sounds. If it were stolen, lost or broken I'd buy it again, that's for certain. The things I love about it: the colour, shape, reverse sounds "seagull sounds" it hasn't got much features, so the basic feature I like is the on/off switch, and the pedal itself. // 6

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DelayLab 8.9 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014