Time Machine JS-DL Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 03/06/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Vox: Time Machine JS-DL
I am very satisfied with this pedal. It has all I need, the sound is unbelievably clean, it looks good on my pedalboard, it comes at a reasonable price and the power supply is a standard 9V batteries or a 9V adapter.
 Ease of Use: 9
 8.9
 8.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Time Machine JS-DL Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 06, 2013

Price paid: € 170

Purchased from: Music Store Köln

Ease of Use: Adjusting the sound on this pedal is as easy as it gets. There are 4 knobs: level, range, time and feedback. Level adjusts the loudness of the feedback sound. Range selects the delay range, from four ranges 125ms, 250ms, 500ms, and 1000ms. It is all very nicely explained in the manual which is included. The time knob adjusts the delay time, which can also be adjusted by the "tap tempo" function, which I prefer for playing live, since you don't have to waste time finding the right position on the time knob, or writing down the setting. The fourth knob is feedback knob, which adjusts the number of times the original signal is repeated. Apart from these basic delay functions, which are very easy to control, there are also Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi switch introduced by Satriani, and the Modern/Vintage switch. The Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi switch changes the filter type and the Modern/Vintage switch changes from modern Digital Delay sound to a Vintage tape-delay type sound, not as clean and kind of retro, the sound I just love. // 9

Sound: This pedal is great because it is never noisy. It may not be as diverse as Boss DD-20, but it has the cleanest sound I've ever heard. My setup goes like this: CryBaby GCB95 > Guv'Nor Plus > Boss MD-2 > Time Machine > Boss GE-7; I play on a Fender American Strat and my amp is Roland Cube 30X (I have two distortions since I need GV+ for less gain, mellow sound just to boost clean sound, and MD-2 for strong and high gained dist). I play mostly alternative rock, post-punk and pop-punk and a little bit of funk rock. I use it very often, since this pedal is very adjustable. I'll give a strong 9 to the sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, I have not had it for very long, but it seems solid. It has a metal casing, knobs are good quality and the sound is always reliable. I would not use it without backup, because I never use any pedal without backup. But I think that it can handle all the pressure, unless you decide to throw it at a wall or run it over with a car. Also, it is definitely worth the money. There are many delay pedals on the market that are way more expensive than this one, and yet can't come even close when it comes to quality of the sound and the reliability. I will give it a 8 for reliability, just because it feels like the footswitches are very sensitive, but that's only my impression. // 8

Overall Impression: I am very satisfied with this pedal. It has all I need, the sound is unbelievably clean, it looks good on my pedalboard, it comes at a reasonable price and the power supply is a standard 9V batteries or a 9V adapter, which ever way may you like. If it was stolen or lost, I think I would not go for the same thing again, but only because I don't like paying twice for a the same thing. But this would definitely be in my top 5 delay pedals, if I ever made a list. Pros: Tap tempo, easy to use, great sound, hard casing, Modern/Vintage mode, Hi-Fi/Lo-Fi mode, can hold very long delay time Cons: Almost none, except those footswitches I mentioned. But if you don't use all your weight to step on it and you don't jump on it, it should do well. All in all, I strongly recommend this effect pedal. Video from YouTube:

// 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014