Tone Garage Double Deca Delay Review

8.8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Tone Garage Double Deca Delay Reviewed by: LastHorizon82, on august 05, 2014

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: Like I mentioned earlier, this pedal sounds soft and sweet to my ears and after 3 good sessions with it I still prefer it for cleaner work. I have used my Strat and Kramer with Seymour Duncan HBs with it so far and I just love the tone of it. On clean and through my Maxon OD9 it sounds superb. I find on more over driven stuff the more opaque repeats don't sound as good as a really clear delay. All the time setting's are usable and it is very easy to use with just 4 controls and a toggle. Once the toggle is set it's just a case of setting the level (vol), Modulation, feedback and repeats. Simple stomper stuff! // 9

Sound: This is my first analogue delay pedal after years of using digital delay. I decided on this rather than the MXR Carbon Copy for a few reasons but most of all it was the 900ms max delay time. The pedal has a toggle switch with three time settings: short, long & both. On short setting the pedal will produce up to 300ms delay, on long mode setting the pedal will produce up to 900ms and on "both" setting you obviously get err... Both. This makes for some really ambient sounds much like reverb and delay combined. The only reference apart from YouTube videos I have to the tone of the repeats of other analogue delay pedal's is the analogue setting on my TC Flashback. The repeats on the Vox Double Deca seem a little too misty like on video's of other analogue delay's with distortion the high notes repeat really nicely and are a little brighter as they fade, where as on the Double Deca they seem to too diminished by the second or third repeat do get any definition. BTB I understand that is the character of analogue delay's but like I said before this just this seems a little too misty. This doesn't bother me too much as it is loads of fun playing with the modulation and feedback settings. The chorus effect goes from subtle all the way to warble with the effect being maxed and the effect has a really nice soft delicate sound so it compliments the repeats really nicely, especially on cleans and soft overdrive. You can also get the usual madness from tampering with the feedback and time controls.. So you too can annoy you're audience. This pedal has a nice soft sound that I have so far found sounds a little better towards cleaner work. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal seems reasonably built but the underside annoys me a little as its plastic, with a big panel that when removed reveals spaces for 6... yes 6 AA battery's. It's like getting one of those toys for Christmas when you only had 4 battery's and it took 6 lol. Anyhow the rest of the pedal seems pretty solid with metal case, 4 small chicken head controls and toggle switch. The pedal takes the usual 9v supply through a connector on the top which is next to a standby switch that turns the pedal off. Pretty solid pedal so yes I would use this for a live show without a back up because I would be more upset my pedal died than the finishing the show for people that didn't cry and offer to leave because of the fact my pedal died. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like the overall feeling of this delay. The sonic possibilities and application are huge for this pedal, from usual delay apps with a different tone signature than most other analogue delay's I have heard to pure lunacy if you put this after a Big Muff or Whammy or BOTH! 900ms is enough time for most players, and analogue too all at a very reasonable price point. At this sort of money the options for a good delay are few and analogue even fewer. Look at what you get in this pedal for the money and I'm sure you'll agree it's a pretty tasty offer. If it was lost I would buy another! // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DA5 8 Guitar Amplifiers 10/24/2014