ToneLab LE Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 06/22/2009 category: Guitar Effects
Vox: ToneLab LE
Featuring an S/P DIF optical digital output and MIDI IN and OUT connectors, ToneLab LE offers you plenty of potential and numerous options to expand your system.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 8.1
 8.9
 7.2
reviews (3) 26 comments vote for this gear:
ToneLab LE Reviewed by: marvelboy_04, on august 07, 2007

Purchased from: SamAsh

Ease of Use: This is a very straight-forward unit considering it's a multi-effects processor. A lot more so than the Digitechs and Pods I've played. It has a very good overall sound, and the valve reactor technology is to me the way to go for modeling in my book. Also, the factory presets are actually decent, but if you don't like them, it's relatively easy and straight-forward to edit them, or create new ones. Also, this is not much of a metal pedal. I'd say if you were going to play heavier metal, I might would suggest the PODXT Live. // 10

Sound: I play this with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and when I play at home, I plug through my original 68 Fender Princeton which is good for that since it's class A, single channel, etc. I mainly got this though so I don't have to carry my amp with me when I play at church. So in there I just plug straight through the PA system. Even then, it still sounds great, and it's very easy to switch presets/effects while playing live. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This unit is mainly just hard metal, and is built like a tank. I would not mind a little more sturdier feeling knobs though. I of course would use it without a backup though. And I really feel like I can depend on this unit, as it's quite a sturdy pedal. I would suggest a padded bag though. When I got mine, I mentioned something to the sales guy about how much I'd be carrying it around, so he threw in a Vox VC-12 foot controller bag, so it's a little big, but has a good place to store cables, the power supply, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I highly recommend this unit to most any non heavy metal guitar player who wants fat, more tube like tone in an easy to carry unit. Again, if you are a metal player, the PODXT Live might be a better choice. For example, I know a guy who's an amazing player who plays an XT Live, and can get great heavier based tones, this is probably mainly due to the fact he's an incredible player though. I compared this unit to the DigiTech GNX series, and the PODXT Live. I almost got the POD, but I already had a Valvetronix amp, so I felt more used to it, plus it seems easier to use. If it were stolen, I'd really hope my extra warranty I got would cover it, but if not, I probably would'nt have the cash for another, but if I did, I would likely get this unit again. // 10

ToneLab LE Reviewed by: MinstrelCycle85, on march 20, 2009

Purchased from: Local Dealer

Ease of Use: It's very simple to dial in a "tone" when you turn a knob to an effect/amp/cab/modulation/delay, the parameters for the patch are alterable by designated knobs on the bottom half of the board. It's possible to take a setting and move it to a different bank, and also duplicate it. This is only slightly less simple. You can also change the line-in settings, and a variety of other settings no one ever messes with. If using the knobs isn't precise enough for a parameter, there are digital buttons that can dial it in directly. The manual is straight forward, but so is the Machine. You'll probably overlook the manual for a few months. My main gripe about ease of use would be that the expression pedal is somewhat stiff. But. That could also be useful. // 7

Sound: I play an Ibanez prestige S-1520NT, with a Bill Lawrence XL-500 Bridge pickup in the neck position, and a Kramer Quad-rail knock off in the bridge position. I play that through this unit, into a digital power amp for a movie theater surround-sound system, with JBL studio monitors for speakers. If you own a tube-amp, be warned that the amp models shouldn't be run through your dirty channel, only the clean... And even then you'll have to use the main volume to ensure you don't end your hearing-stuff-career. My bridge pickup's insanely hot, so I definitely don't have any issues with it not being "heavy enough." The higher gain amps sound pretty decent, they sound convincingly tube-like. My friends with tube amps seemed to be surprised/somewhat pleased with it's performance. The wah gate parameters aren't wide enough, and the pedal is stiff to boot. If you're a big wah fan, you better have a back-up plan for that. The pitch bender effect is pretty high standard, no delay issues, or envelope distortion. The pitch bend actually works pretty well with the stiff expression pedal. Many other effects on it, to me, are archaic and overused. I'm not a Vintage kind of guy. I like new stuff that isn't worn out. So, in a way this thing's not super-useful to me. I could work with less. However, I bought it when I was a beginner guitarist, and it did well for me to study the classic effects. It can mimic a lot of artists, but you're guitar will be the main determining factor. i.e., I can't emulate Keith Richards on it. Cause he plays a lame ass single-coil-laden Fender, and I play a guitar that has massive, terrifying testicles. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is very durable, I doubt that it will be breaking anytime soon. The knobs can get turned by your guitar cables if you're not careful. Not a real big deal. I would use it on a gig without a backup. It's not valueable enough to me to leave behind, and I just don't see it getting damaged, even if I just carried in there without a case, lol. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, mostly, but I play classical guitar-type things as well quite often. I dabble in various other styles, but those are my forte. It's a good enough match for me to be satisfied, but it's lacking elements I'd like to have, such as; The ability to have a clean channel that's smooth, but distorted enough to sustain and be saturated whilst clipped. I'd also like some of the features of the Line 6 X3 Live, such as; an 1/8th inch input jack for play along (for my IPod and other 1/8th inch instruments of noise), 2 1/4th inch input jacks (it does have stereo-out), A more diverse set of amp models(ie, instead of just putting popular amp models on it, why not just but a diverse variety), the ability to program the effects loop bias and topography in any order I want, including redundant effects (example: running the flanger through the flanger, or running the chorus before the metal distortion or vice versa) I do like the saturation of frequencies, and I also like the rougher sounding metal distortion than most digital distortions. But I'd also like a choice. However, if it were lost or stolen, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother with replacing it now... That's debatable though, cause I've played through a lot of others, and they suck a lot worse. I haven't played through a Line 6 X3 Live, but based on the design and specs, I think I'd enjoy it more. But the lack of an actual valve, might make it a little weak sounding. Possibly. // 7

ToneLab LE Reviewed by: Ditto100, on june 22, 2009

Purchased from: Showtime Music

Ease of Use: This product is very easy to use, even for us beginners.it's operation manuel is very clear and precise to understand.it's ability to adjust and program is easy and first rate. Its factory settings are very good and can be manipulated to make some very appealing tones and distortions. // 9

Sound: I am using it with a Fender amp. With it's 16 amp selections one can use any style amp with this product and or a PA system or a mixer or recorder. It also has a headphone jack for a little privacy. The distortion is very good, and the affects are strong and sound great.I am still learning, but so far the sound and affects are first rate. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Uncertain of it's lifetime, but if it holds up as well as it is put together, it should last my lifetime anyway. It's very sturdy and appears well manufactured. It has tubes (valves to the brits)it's output of sound is very remarkable. I had an experianced guitar player, use it for a few hours, they took great advantage of it's tones and effects and distortions, they were well pleased with it's abilities, and they were a little envious.So with that said it's a Great product. Maybe better out there, but for it's price and it's settings, I don't think it can be beat for now. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Blues, country, christian, gospel, a little old style rock, I have only been playing for a couple years now I think, not a bundle of experiance.If it was stolen I guess it would take awhile to be able to purchase another, but so far I would purchase this agian. I enjoy all the features so far, it has vast programing so I have only begun to scratch it's surface, who knows what this is able to do as I gain better knowledge and ability with it. Well the one thing I wish I had was greater experiance playing, but that will come with time, what short time I have remaining. I'll play on! // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ AmPlug Twin 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 05/30/2014