Faux Tape Echo Review

manufacturer: Wampler Pedals date: 02/20/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Wampler Pedals: Faux Tape Echo
This pedal as good as any I have heard and has a permanent place on my pedal board. No manual needed as it's pretty straight forward!
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.8
 9.5
review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Faux Tape Echo Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on february 20, 2014

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: It is very easy to use once you have twiddled with it for a short while. I love the tap tempo function as that is very musical in most situations. It's easy to bring delay to the forefront or just push it back into an ambient delay the can emulate a tad of reverb if you spend time with it. I found exactly what Ive been looking for after about a dozen delay pedals & rolling off the tone makes a darker softer analogue delay. It's as good as any I have heard & has a permanent place on my pedal board. No manual needed as it's pretty straight forward! // 10

Sound: Playing vintage rock both gigging & bedroom with a LOT of time woodshedding this pedal suits my style very well. It has been used with a variety of other pedals & done a great job! Having a LOT of echoplex tape machine experience in my youth, that's the sound & target market for this pedal. The sound is smooth & very analog sounding... More of a true echo delay.. NOT one that the Edge would use so if that is your goal pass on this pedal. If you are looking for that echoplex sound in spades this is your pedal. This is as close as you get without paying $1000 PLUS + the weight & maintenance headaches. For those looking for vintage analogue echoplex in a box, this is it! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It should hold up just fine & hold up to being stomped very often. The knobs & modulation switch seem well made... I feel it is very dependable & hasn't failed me in about 18 months of very heavy playing. Opening it up the quality seems fine, but time will tell... It does not have a stereo output, so if you need that look elsewhere. This is my first Wampler pedal & I will be looking at the others... IF the ones I have will stop breeding on their own! But that's the deal with most pedals, reviews are helpful but one players nirvana is another's lousy expensive pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: The vintage rock we play, there were a lot of echoplexes/very analogue sounds recorded with Zeppelin, Yes, & of course David Gilmour & so many others. So covering those songs & sounds is so much easier than say a digital spot on repeats Boss DD. You have level, repeats, Depth, delay time, & TONE (thank God). The depth & level are not the same function with depth kicking in the echoplex ambient oscillation sound of echoplex... A very cool sound! Then the Modulation toggle switch, ads soft chorus to delay repeats I have too menu delay pedals & this is one of the best, the other being EH Deluxe Memory Boy! Been playing many years, & I can't think of anything it needs. I would by another. // 9

More Wampler Pedals reviews rating category latest review