Lyon Distortion Review

6.7
 5.9
reviews (6) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Lyon Distortion Reviewed by: stonyman65, on september 26, 2006

Ease of Use: This thing isn't that bad for a low budget OD pedal. It's not a TS808 by any means, but it works for the avarage walmart guitarist. It's kinda hard to get a good sound out of it but it's not that bad. It was just your standard stomp box so no patches or anything like that. Didn't come with a manual, just a diagram of what the controls are used for and how to insert a 9V battery. I can't even find it on the Washburn website or even online for that matter. It must've really sucked. // 5

Sound: I'm using a Carvin MTS 3212 and a Ibanez Jem, Jackson DK2S and a American Strat with this pedal and it isn't that good. You'd be better off getting something like a Boss DS-1 for $50 bucks, I thought it would be better. It east up batteries like a mad man eating batteries. It's really noisy, even using a noise suppressor it made a lot of hiss. Unless you have the gain on 2 that is. I geuss if you turn the bass, mids and gain up all the way you could get a semi-decent distortion. But then again, any amp with a Overdrive channel (even solid state ones, Even Marshall's MG series) can get a matched tone or even a better one. It wasn't worth $50 bucks. I would get a Boss or one of those Fab Distortion ones for 15 bucks. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Depend on it? I returned it after a week. And if I was given it for free, I wouldn't use it. I'd probobly use it for target practice to be honest. If you gig with this thing, you deserve everything you get. Unless you wanna have a sucky tone. // 1

Overall Impression: This thing sucks. Avoid it unless it's your only option, and as long as there is a Boss pedal on this earth. That won't happen. I've been playing for almost 5 years and gone through and played a lot of pedals, this is by far the worst one I've ever used. I wish I never spent the 50 bucks, but atleast I got it back for somethign more important. // 1

Lyon Distortion Reviewed by: Chickenfrmheck, on march 12, 2007

Purchased from: Target

Ease of Use: This pedal is very straightforward. There are gain, volume/level, high, and low knobs. They are all self-explanatory. No manual came with it, but you're probably not very smart if you need one. This pedal can get some pretty sweet lead and rhythm tones with a little bit of adjustment. You won't need to spend much time on your knees messing with it. // 9

Sound: I use a Fender Tex-Mex special edition stratocaster through this into a Behringer bass amp. With some EQ tweaking, the muddy bass sound is gone and there's some pretty awesome distortion. I can get awesome Van Halen tone and pinch harmonics from it. It's very easily changeable to suit each application. The pedal is noisy with gain, but most distortion pedals are like that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It is all metal and battery-efficient, but I bought a power cord. There is no need for a backup when you are using this pedal. It has gone through several band practices and there isn't a single scratch. It has not lost any spring tension or anything, and should continue to work well. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anywhere from acoustic stuff to metal, and this pedal can be tweaked to fit any of it. It gives very good pinch harmonics, which is a favorite feature of mine. If it were stolen, I could actually afford another! I was afraid of buying from target, but I was quite pleased with my purchase. I have a bass, an Ibanez beginner guitar, and the stratocaster, and I use a DigiTech RP80 and put it through my Behringer bx1200 amp. // 10

Lyon Distortion Reviewed by: zleftyguitarist, on december 26, 2006

Purchased from: target

Ease of Use: Just a basic pedal with four nobs, not too hard to figure out. From left to right, level, low, high, and gain. Everybody who has pedals will get input to output, and output to input mixed up when not looking. There was no instructions but it's a pedal. Nothing hard about it. // 10

Sound: It's ok for a walmart product. I never bought this. A friend loand it to me for a while. I don't get much feedback and noise which surprized me alittle. My Favorate sounds would be Level at mid, low at low, and high at high, gain at mid. Then for a heavier sound I turn low to full, and high to low. You can turn the gain way down and make something like an overdrive pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is made out of a strong hard to scratch medal. The bottom and the foot pedal part is made of a strong rubber that smells and feels like a new car tire. The input and output jacks feel tight and the chord always stays in the jack unless moved around a lot. The pedal does not tip over because the jacks are on two different sides. I've seen some with both jacks on the same side that tip over and make it hard to link pedels. // 8

Overall Impression: The nobs feel like they would break if bumped. They would break if you dropped it. People say something is cheap if you drop it and it breaks. If I dopped an acoustic I wouldn't count on it working. Just the shape makes then nobs open and easy to break if stepped on (mine hasn't broken). They say the battery doesnt't last long. If you leave the pedal pluged in, the battery will drain overnight. It's last me months if you unplugg it when your done. Your supposed to unplug everything anyway. I would stick with Boss or digitec. I would not use this in a gig just becasue it's too basic, not very bad or good. It sounds like a lot of songs distortion, but can't get exact. I have been playing for like a year now so I don't relay know what sounds "good" but I like this sound. I can find better though. // 7

Lyon Distortion Reviewed by: HexDemon666, on february 21, 2007

Ease of Use: This is a nice little beginners distortion pedal. Wait. No it's not. Sure, you get some decent distortion for a cheap price, but it's not worth it. It has a simple four knobs, all of which are labelled accordingly (level, low, high, gain). It's setup like just about every other pedal ou might get from DigiTech, Boss, or DOD. Just know that battery changes are frustrating to say the least. // 7

Sound: I'm currently using an Ibanez S470 with Infinity pickups, running it through a simple 26W Peavey Backstage amp. In defense of the stompbox, my amp sucks. As far as distortion goes, I thought it was pretty weak. The only way I could ever get decent distortion out of it was if I cranked everything up to max. If you have too much low and not enough high, it's too soft and the opposite really thins out the sound of your guitar. It's pretty raunchy, but there's no backbone to it. It doesn't help that Gain almost always has to be on max if you want any more distortion than what your amp can give you (including my crappy little Peavey). I mean, if you just want a solid, heavy metal type sound (I was always reminded of the music from the Dynasty Warriors series) and nothing more, this isn't too bad. Unfortunately, that's all it has to offer with very little variation. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This is a pretty poor piece of hardware when it comes down to durability. The stompbox itself is metal so I would assume it can hold up to wear and tear somewhat well, but the grip on the pedal comes off easily, the knobs are incredibly flimsy, and it's damn near impossible to change the battery without breaking something or losing the spring. What makes that such a big deal is that it actually sucks up the battery life when it's not plugged in, or even hooked up to a guitar and amp. You have to remove the battery whenever you're not using it if you have any hopes of using this pedal for more than an hour at a time. Oh yeah, the screws around the input/output jacks come undone quite easily, too. I would never use this at a gig, even if I had a million spares. // 1

Overall Impression: I play metal (thrash/death mainly), and it's not bad. But again, you're limited to about one mediocre tone which you can get with just about any distortion pedal sold by someone like Boss or DigiTech. I wouldn't be suprised if an Overdrive pedal could get there as a matter o' fact. I've been playing for about a year and a half now and I am a thousand times happier with my DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal than I am this (and I'm even looking to replace that). If someone stole it, I would probably find them and pay them for taking it off my hands so I didn't feel so guilty about not ever playing this thing (it was a Christmas gift). // 3

Lyon Distortion Reviewed by: I am punk "BF", on september 17, 2007

Ease of Use: It sounds pretty good. Unfortunately it does produce static when you are not playing. It is still a good item. It is pretty easy to get good sound out of it. The one bad thing is that it does not come with a manual but it is easy to figure out. The item is good. I like to us it and it is very easy to use. // 8

Sound: The distortion pedal is great. It sounds great to. It is very very noisy. When you turn all of the knobs up as high as they go it sounds really cool. I love to mess around with the knobs and see what kind of sound I get and normally they are cool. You can get it to sound like the intro of "Hold on" by the Jonas brothers. // 8

Reliability & Durability: You can depend on it. The best thing about it's reliability is that the battery lasts a while. The reason is that when you unplug it from the guitar it automatically turns off. This way when you are on stage the battery will not die out in the middle of a song. I would use it at a gig. You probably would not need a back up but it would be smart just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play metal with this pedal. The pedal is really good for this style of music. It makes the guitar sound loud and heavy. This was my first distortion pedal so iff I go overboard on the review I am sorry. But I have been using this pedal for a very very long time and it is great. Of course it is not the best though. I wish it had more bass but other than that it is a good item. // 8

Lyon Distortion Reviewed by: seu_madruga, on january 19, 2009

Purchased from: local store

Ease of Use: Very easy, just plug an distortion goes on, instructions manual does not come with, that's mean it's not only for beginners! You don't need hours of setup to be pleased, the sound comes easily so if you don't like at first, probably never does..in my opinion once you get used to the sound you will love it, no matter Boss or anything, four knobs, Level, Lo, Hi, Gain.. It's self explanatory. // 9

Sound: Using Ibanez GRG170DX and Vox Pathfinder 10 watt, the pedal has a great shape of sound at low gain for chords, and it have enough strenght at full gain to face any kind of heavy sounds, distortion keeps in a block, some other pedals tend to lost itself after 3/4 of gain, this one have none of that useless frequencies, EQ works fine, it seems to be scooped at some positions, sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well constructed, very cool looking unit, it's solid as a rock, perfect for Live performance, just one mess, perhaps the knobs may turn if you 'rock so much on it' they seem to be soft rolling knobs, but this doesn't really matter, I would get another for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I don't think this pedal must be for beginners, guess your music will tell you that, so don't let the price fool you, of course it is not the best gear you can get out there, it's just a matter of taste, cheaps pedal have great tones, it would be your sound definitely. // 9

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ RX50 7.8 Electric Guitars 03/26/2014