Lyon Wah Review

9.6
reviews (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Lyon Wah Reviewed by: Invader Jim, on july 14, 2008

Purchased from: Target

Ease of Use: The input/output jacks aren't labled, but other than that, it's really easy to use this. Paid $60 in the store, but for some reason it is $70 online. Didn't come with a manual, just instructions on how to change the battery. Uses 1 9-volt battery or a negative-centered 9-volt power supply. It has an LED indicator on the side to show relative battery power and whether the unit is on or off. Standard Crybaby-type design and construction. Basically, it's identical to a Crybaby, but with some improvements. It has an LED Status indicator (as said before) and a better input buffer (even less tone-sucking), and a better inductor (about 500mH instead of the muddy 660mH Dunlop inductors). Don't let the brand name and place of purchase throw you off. This pedal rocks! // 10

Sound: Using it with a 2003 Squire Stratas well as a bunch of '60s Vintage guitars (see profile) through a Fender Frontman 25R amp (see my review). As I said, it rocks. All I had to do is re-index the pot so it would actually wah, and that's it. Very nice Vintage-sounding wah. With a few mods (see the GB&C's wah modding thread) you can make it sound even better. One thing I don't like about it is when using it with distortion, there is a spot close to/at the heel-back position that filters out the tonic so nothing but harmonics comes through. This may be a standard thing with wahs, but I've never used any other one. Still, it could be useful for those Who do unconventional things with their gear. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid cast zinc. It's built like a tank. I'd gig without a backup for sure. The pedal attachment is solid, and the potentiometer isn't going anywhere. Battery life is pretty good as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Despite all I've heard (and the brand and where I got it), this is an awesome pedal. Too bad it does that thing with distortion. If it were stolen or lost (and it's broken now, 'cause I went mod-crazy on it), I'd definately get a new one (I just can't afford it right now). // 9

Lyon Wah Reviewed by: dis_is_riskee, on july 14, 2009

Price paid: A$ 45

Purchased from: Big W

Ease of Use: This is one of the most simple pedals I've ever used or seen. It features just a knob for range. It's great looking a produces a great sound. It didn't come with a manual, as I got an open box discount, but since this is such a sturdy durable product, it was perfect and in-tact. It's sturdy but is easy to use; it's not hard to push up and down, but it is sometimes a little hard to turn it on and off, but that's really only if your not standing up - meaning this amp isn't likely to be part of an on-stage problem. // 8

Sound: My set up (LWAH Washburn pedal between a Yamaha pacifica guitar and a basic storm australia ae-t20, or sometimes Cube 60, provides a great warm, sound. It's great when your trying to bring attention to solos, but creating a wah wah over it, or if your trying to make a fuzzy guitar pattern in the back ground of your song, (like most songs by Tame Impala) you just put it in the position you want. Since this is a one-effect amp, it only has the Vintage Wah effect on it, but it's a great sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is an amazing, strong, sturdy and great looking pedal. I depend on this for all my concerts, and I would definently go to a concert without a backup, nothing else is needed with this. I've dropped it many times and its still find. I'm very happy with this buy and it's a good piece of equipment. // 10

Overall Impression: This Pedal is pretty much perfect for the Vintage Wah effect. It's great for jazz/funk solo's. The battery power is a great advantage, but it's also great having the option of wall-plug, for emergencies. Unfortunatly you have to supply your own DC 9 volt plug. If I lost this I would definently look into buying another one, though I doubt I'd ever get as good deal as I got with the one I currently have. Over all, an amazing pedal! // 10

Lyon Wah Reviewed by: nitestick, on july 29, 2009

Price paid: A$ 20

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I found it pretty damn easy to get good sounds out of it. This is my first effects pedal and my first experience with a wah pedal, it's a bit of a learning curve so I'm sure I can get better sounds out of it later. Unfortunately the manual for it is non existent, I just received a box that has no technical or instructional data on it at all. // 6

Sound: I am playing with a B\.C\. Rich Warlock and a Marshall MG15DFX with this pedal. I find the sound to be quite impressive from this pedal, granted however I don't have any practical experience with any other pedals. I was able to reproduce the sound of the wah in Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams with relative ease. Here's a quick snippet I recorded, it's pretty poorly done. But it's a demo of the pedal in action. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This seems built to be almost bullet proof, the only 2 problems I have had so far (I have only used it for a few hours) are that the adhesive on the rubber feet gave way quickly and I took all 4 off, I also think the axle needs oil as it started squeaking quickly. As a testament to it's durability I'll state that the store shipped it with no real padding. Just a form fitting box, given what our postal service is like the fact it survived with just a layer of shrink wrap and a thin box says that it's tough. // 8

Overall Impression: I got this off of eBay for $20 new plus $15 postage so I'm quite happy with it. With my current budget/ability/knowledge, if it were stolen I would gladly buy the same model again if I could find it for this price. The only things I can fault it on so far I mentioned in the reliability and durability section. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WM24 Renegade 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/10/2014