Green Rhino MkII Review

8.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Green Rhino MkII Reviewed by: aerosmithfan95, on march 08, 2013

Purchased from: eBay.com

Ease of Use: I bought this off of eBay in August of last year for $120 (US). It was brand new, never used, and it came with the manual and other papers for Dunlop strings, electronics, etc. Since then, I kept this pedal completely stock and I personally think it does NOT ever need to be upgraded. The Green Rhino is a very user-friendly pedal and is easy to shape your tone. Whether you are using it as an Overdrive to your amp or you want to add some extra punch, volume, and Drive to "boost" a solo, this is the pedal for you. // 10

Sound: It's based off of an Ibanez TS-808 (or 9?) circuit. It contains the typical Volume, Tone, and Drive controls that are found on practically every Overdrive pedal. What makes it different than the other tubescreamer copies is that this pedal has a 100Hz EQ knob that allows you to cut or boost your low end +/- 12dB. There is also Curve knob that allows you to shape its tone even more. Another great thing that's include in the circuitry of the pedal is that it is 100% true bypass when it's shut off. Unlike most other Overdrive pedals that are either noisy or somewhat quiet, this pedal is completely silent and it's like it's not even there. When I bought this pedal, I had the intention to use it as a lead boost on my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 (which I got a month after I got this). The Green Rhino works phenomenal as a boost since it gives you full, saturated, and rocking lead tones. It makes my Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Kramer Focus 3000 scream on solos. And to add to its versatility, I used it in place of the Drive channel on my Fender Frontman 212R for a bit. I adds a great and chunky rhythm tone and gives off a really nice and gritty feel for my main styles of music: 80s to modern rock. Most of the people reading this will ask "Does the Green Rhino sound good with other effects?". The answer is a big fat "Yes." Depending on the song I'm playing (cover or original), I either use this with a Boss Super Chorus, Boss Compressor, or both. It doesn't clash with the other effects and it really allows it to have it's own, unique sound on top of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been religiously playing it since I purchased it and all I can definitely rely on the Green Rhino. It's an amazing pedal with an amazing tone. It is built to last and I can't see it going anywhere. I have never had any sort of problems with it's electronics or physical appearance and it still looks brand new. Gigging without a backup wouldn't be much of a problem unless it somehow dies on me, which I doubt will happen. The only form of a "backup" for this pedal is exactly another one just in case anything happens to my first one. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned in the "Sound" section, I mainly play 80s to modern rock. Every so often, I'll listen to and learn other genres, but that's my "comfort zone". Also, my other gear is mentioned in the "Sound" section as well. It's a great match for my style of music and other styles as well. If it was stolen/lost, I would buy another right away. This pedal has greatly grown on me and I prefer it over every other Overdrive pedal that I've personally heard. Previously, I compared it to an Ibanez Tubescreamer in the sense that it's circuit is based off of it. What makes the Green Rhino better is the fact that you can adjust the overall low end with the "100Hz" knob and shape the tone even more with the "Curve" knob. I believe that the Green Rhino is possibly one of the most versatile Overdrive pedals out there and I'd recommend it to anyone in search of an Overdrive pedal regardless of the genre that they play. Video from YouTube:

// 10

Green Rhino MkII Reviewed by: Dannyj12, on october 07, 2013

Ease of Use: It is extremely easy to get a great sound out of this pedal. It only took me about 5 minutes once I got it home. The controls are straightforward and easy to use. The manual gives some example sounds, but if you really know what you're doing you shouldn't need them at all. I would recommend using the pedal as a first gain stage, but it is also very easy to use as a solo boost pedal. There is a easy to use mid control that shapes the sound at a simple turn of the knob. This is the easiest overdrive to use that I've ever tried. // 10

Sound: The green rhino overdrive is one of the most versatile low gain overdrives on the market in the 90 to 130 dollar price range. I am running the pedal into my Fender Super Champ X2's clean channel, which is in fact all tube, and the pedal sounds fantastic! First off, the pedal runs at a minimum noise level, even with the gain cranked. The pedal can go anywhere from creamy smooth leads, to transparent rhythm overdrives, to clean boosting. This thing is really loud! I regularly use every tone shaping control and they all work flawlessly, the only problem I have with this pedal is that if you want a transparent sound with higher gain, it sounds a little too muddy for my taste. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid construction, metal casing, great feeling footswitch. Only complaint is that the knobs are plastic and at times can feel cheap. I would definitely use this as my first gain stage almost all the time for gigs at church, or with my band. The casing isn't quite as strong as I would've liked, but it isn't cheap either. The footswitch feels like it is very very solid, and will last a long time. It almost feels springy when you stomp on it, I've never had a pedal that does that before but it feels great and it's super quiet which is an added bonus. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from jazz to blues to worship to hard rock, and this pedal does well. It doesn't have enough gain on tap to do the hard rock stuff on its own, but in that situation I use it as a solo boost and it works very well. I have been playing for nearly 6 years and this is easily the best overdrive for my tastes that I've owned. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy a new one. I compared this overdrive to others that were more expensive, and this one won every time. At first I was weary that I was buying just another tube screamer clone, I was totally wrong. This OD has all of the bass dynamics that the TS does not, and it doesn't have that ungodly mid hump. // 9

Green Rhino MkII Reviewed by: Maidenheadsteve, on august 18, 2014

Ease of Use: Despite having a couple more knobs than the regular Tube Screamer, I believe the Green Rhino is very easy to use. I bought this used, so no manual was included, but the online manual is helpful. The only thing it doesn't really explain the Curve knob, but it's easy to figure out it controls the mid hump associated with Tube Screamers plus, the word "Mids" is right next to it). I find the controls to be quite precise, so a little tweaking-such as finding the right amount of boost to use before it got muddy-was necessary, but no more than any other pedal I've owned. // 9

Sound: I mostly use this pedal as a solo boost for my OD channel on my Peavey VK212 or my fuzz pedal (either a Way Huge Swollen Pickle or Big Muff Pi). I find this is what it excels at. It provides for excellent clarity (while retaining warmth) on my neck pickup (Seymour Duncan SH-6N) and clear pinch harmonics on the bridge (TB-6) thanks to the 100hZ knob (low end) knob. The mid curve knob can be turned down to remove any sort of honk or ice-pickiness. I play mostly Iron Maiden/Judas Priest, basic thrash metal, and Black Sabbath (it's what I use the Green Rhino+Fuzz combo on). It's a little noisy through a lead channel, but my amp is a little buzzy anyway. As a result, I have a Decimator II, so it's no skin off my back because I need a noise gate regardless. Lastly, though I don't use it this way too often, it sounds excellent for a blues and classic rock tone on a clean channel with the level lower than gain. For an example, I could get an AC/DC tone with the level around 10:00 and gain around 2:00 or 3:00. It's very warm when ran this way, which may be good or bad depending on one's setup (not a biggie for me). On a side note: my guitar is a Charvel So-Cal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this pedal for about three months now, and it is durable. No signs of failing performance, scratchy pots, or loose switches. It's important to note that this pedal was used when I bought it, so it's been around even longer. I predict that this pedal will survive for years to come. As long as it is handled properly, the Way Huge Green Rhino will provide the overdrive and boost that I need. As long as you don't do something dumb (like throw it from towering heights or pour water on the circuit board), it will even work for you! // 10

Overall Impression: This pedal is truly designed to get precise tones. I chose it over the MXR Custom Badass Modified because it provided more gain to a lead channel, and over a Hardwire CM-2 because it provided more clarity AND could control the mid hump. The mid hump is very important to my solo tone, as it allows the "just right" sweet spot of smoothness without having an ice pick sharpness. Along with the Curve control, I love the fact that it has separate bass and treble controls. This allows me to tighten up/add clarity with the low end while not having to add any unnecessary brightness. I knew I needed this, so I chose the Green Rhino over the TS-9 and basically every other 3 knob clone of it. Lastly, this pedal is true bypass and has quiet on/off operation. I would definitely buy again if stolen, as I can't think of a single feature that I wish the pedal had. I understand it's not the best thing to give out high ratings for most sections, but this pedal just does everything I need when it comes to a good (and accurate, depending on what I'm after) solo tone without the risk of breaking down. // 10

More Way Huge reviews rating category latest review