Geiger Counter Review

manufacturer: WMD date: 02/05/2014 category: Guitar Effects
WMD: Geiger Counter
It's such a unique and creative pedal - this is one of the few of its kind on the market, if you have the cash I'd definitely recommend buying one!
 Ease of Use: 8
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Geiger Counter Reviewed by: Ollietherocker, on february 05, 2014

Ease of Use: The pedal's interface is reasonably simple and intuitive to use however it will require you to sit down for a few hours to gain an understanding of what this pedal can do, the manual is really helpful, it features detailed explanation of each parameter, a range of example settings which are a useful starting point for building your own sounds and a chart showing all 256 wave tables which is helpful for visualising what each setting will sound like. I recommend keeping a note of your settings in a notepad because there is no preset option (although obviously your current setting is retained when powered off) and it is highly frustrating forgetting an excellent sound. // 8

Sound: The WMD Geiger Counter is a truly unique distortion pedal but it is by no means a one trick pony. It has 256 different distortions available, ranging from Boss DS-1 style distortion, to a Tube Screamer Overdrive, gated fuzz and then crazy ultra-high gain buzzing messes (which may be just what you want!) that alone makes this an incredibly versatile pedal but of course the most important feature for me is the Bit depth and sample rate control, these can be used to add interesting glitches and high frequency drone notes added, if you reduce it enough you'll be edging into Atari, 8-Bit video game sounds. This pedal allows me to create highly unique distortion sounds with extremely interesting dynamic functions, the bit depth control allows you to filter out noise so the pedal will remain silent in between phrases on ultra-high gain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is in a die cast metal enclosure, its finish is powder coated (I believe) meaning that will barely even scratch, definitely tour proof. The foot switch is hand wired true bypass and is extremely sturdy so there's no chance of you popping that through if you press too hard. I like the knobs, however on my unit the nuts weren't quite tight enough and so if I turned the pots too hard they moved too far, however this was easy to remedy by tightening the nuts. The LEDs are bright and the seven segment display is bright enough to see on stage. The jacks are all well placed (I prefer them on the back rather than the sides) and are excellent jacks, I've never had any issues with them and don't expect to. Overall the durability and construction is excellent // 8

Overall Impression: I play a range of music from indie rock to noise rock/shoegaze, I find this is a really interesting pedal for a faux synth style sound, I've recently used it on a Diane Young cover with the band I'm in, it's also great with a slightly lower bit rate for sparkly, glitchy chords, very good for emulating bands like No Age and Wavves. I think it would be suited for many genres, metal, hard rock, ambient rock, it's such a unique and creative pedal I can imagine most artists with an open mind being able to find a use for this on their board. I love this pedal, I would definitely replace it it was stolen as it is probably my most used pedal. Sounds great with my Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, also interesting if you put a flanger/phaser after the signal. I've used the word unique so often but this pedal is one of the few of its kind on the market, if you have the cash I'd definitely recommend buying one! // 9

Comments