GW50 Review

7.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
GW50 Reviewed by: Joost1795, on november 25, 2010

Price paid: € 100

Ease of Use: First I want you to know that; please don't mind my grammar or word use. My mother language isn't English and I'm Dutch. The Yamaha GW50 Guitar Performance Effector is really easy of use. Simple as hell. I lost the manual before I started using it, but still, in a day or two I figured out how this thing worked. There are just 6 pedals, The first pedal: Compressor, it's just the main sound from the effect pedal, knobs for Attack, Sense and Output. The second pedal: Distortion, it has 3 knobs: Drive, Tone and Output and a button for 5 different types of Distortion. The third pedal: Equalizer, 4 knobs, Type, Speed, Frequency and Range, with 3 types: Equalizer, Wah + Equalizer and Amp simulator + Equalizer. The fourth pedal: Chorus, it has 3 knobs, Speed, Depth and Feedback. 5 different sorts of the Chorus pedal: Chorus 1 + 2, Pitch shift, Flanger and Phaser. The fifth pedal: Reverb/Delay: 3 knobs, Time, Feedback and Mix, 3 sorts again: Reverb, Delay and Delay + Reverb. The sixth pedal is for navigating through tens of presets. When you just play and use presets you can use the first 5 pedals for scrolling through preset:1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Then it stops and you'll need to use the sixth pedal for scrolling to 10-15 20-25 30-35 etc. The pedal is really old, there are no system updates for it. // 8

Sound: I use my Line 6 Spider III and my Les Paul (Keiper) I know, I'm just a beginner so don't critisize me for my setup please, I love my setup. You can get all sorts of sounds, like blues, metal, Death Metal (for the metal-heads) just regular rock, hard rock, Grunge it's all possible. Well the GW50 is an effect Pedal, so all the effects aren't really good, but it'll do just fine for little gigs or just playing at home. The effect pedal isn't noisy at all. Ofcourse the sound isn't as good as effect pedals which are more expensive, but it sounds nice for playing in a house or small gigs. // 6

Reliability & Durability: My pedal is 16 years old, but it still works. I think that's amazing, it has survived tons of gigs. It's really perfect how long this thing works. It's very easy to travel with this pedal. I don't think it would be wise to use this pedal on a big gig or a gig with more than 50 people, because in a big hall or a gym the sound wouldn't be so good. It won't sound like you want it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play especially blues(rock), progressive rock and grunge, but sometimes metal or something. I play guitar since 2009, december. I've got an Line 6 Spider III and a Keiper Les Paul (I know, to all of you it sounds like the worst crappy setup you've ever heard of but I don't even play a year and don't earn that much money.) But still for me this pedal meant a lot, I don't say it's perfect but for me it's very good. It isn't expensive or difficult and easy for travelling. Though I hate it that I don't really know what all of the buttons mean, there are a few of which I don't know what they do. I love it that it's got an Auto-Wah, it isn't the best, but it sounds nice on it. The distortion sounds really good, so does the reverb and delay. The Chorus should be better though.With this pedal you can play any style. It has all posibility's. From Satriani to John Mayer to Jimi Hendrix to Metallica. My favorite feature is still the Reverb, I love to play blues and it sounds wonderful. This was my review, I hope my english was clear and the information I gave was useful. // 7

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014