1010 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 01/12/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: 1010
25 built-in effects with up to 6 that can be used simultaneously. Effects include compression, wah-wah, chorus, flanger, delays, reverbs and more. Optional FP01 Expression Pedal allows wah and volume effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 5.7
 Ease of Use: 5.3
 4.8
 4.6
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
1010 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2004

Purchased from: EBAY

Ease of Use: It's got an awesome sound to it. It has room to make your own patches. Superb Zoom guitar effects in a very compact, all in one package: four foot controls, great presets like rhythm, classic od, valve od, screen, compressor, delay, wah, eq, vol, flange, vintage drive, drivemaster, fuzz, power lead, talt. Fully editable. Very easy to use and program. Lots of parameters, onboard tuner, store facility for your sounds, bank, & patches the Zoom Player 010 is suitable for many styles & can be used for great rock and blues where it sounds like a Boss be5 in many ways but it really excells for heavy rock and metal where its got the tone to go with the best of them. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with a Peavy 5150 Halfstack amp and a BC Rich Warlock guitar. Some of the effects are a little weak but the good ones make up for the others. I can get the Tesla sound, AC/DC distortions, and the Journey screaming guitar solos. The distortions are great, but the acoustic simulator is weak. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's very dependable. I play christian hardrock at my youth group and it's the only pedal I have on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and cchristian rock music. It's great for those styles. I've been playing for about five years now and I own a BC Rich Warlock, Epiphone Les Paul, Kona Electric Strat, and a Fender Telecaster. I really wanted the Zoom 4040, which is the kick ass version of the 010. I would definitly by it again if they still sold it. I love all the distortion effects. The worst thing abouut it is that it has no expression pedal. My favorite feature is the built in tuner. I don't like having too many things on stage at church, and after doing the solos, sometimes I need a tune up. I compared it to a couple of the DigiTech products. I chose this one, because of the feature/price comparison. I still wish it had an expression pedal. // 8

1010 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, but I didn't like one single program. Who wrote these? Every single one of them was either over compressed and noisy as all get out, or muddy sounding with no clarity whatsoever. 30 of the 42 programs are non user editable, which is another word for saying, "worthless." Why do the maufactureres keep doing this to us? Not everybody has the same equipment, so it's not going to sound like it was when programmed. The manual is fine, but not necessary, due ot ease of use. I rate it low in this area because of terrible presets and being 71% non user editable. // 2

Sound: I use a Mesa Boogie amp with one of three guitars, a Les Paul, a Dean Z, and a Jackson Fusion. It was noisy on ALL programs with distortion, all teh effects were either weak or muddy. Only one program sounded good (like one of those Tom Scholz headphone amps), but that's not my kind of music, so I didn't like it anyway. Some of the distortions had a good tone, but it either was not enough, or it made it too muddy, so bad that on many programs you almost can't hear note changes! Sound = lame. I'd give it a zero, but that's not an option. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Don't know, because I wouldn't use it live. // 1

Overall Impression: I don't know. I'd say it's okay for a beginner to get their feet wet, but I thought it sounded so bad, it'd just frustrate them. This was the worst effects unit I've ever tried. // 1

1010 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2006

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, couple of buttons and you are off! Loads of presets, one for each and every occasion, manual helpfull but I owned a Zoom before so pretty similar setup. Editing patches good, not all of them are editable though, it's very easy to use, can get sound out of it straight away with presets. // 6

Sound: Sound? Well, for its price, it's ok. The thing is, if you just started playing and experimenting with your not expensive guitar and amp, then you get the Zoom and you can listen to and get a feeling for all the effects available in expensive one-effect-dedicated stomp pedals. It's a good way to familiarise your self with effects and parameters. Now if you want to go on stage in front of a serious croud, and want to play a cover, then forget it. I read a previous review on this, someone said you can get the "AC/DC distortion" out of it. First of all, AC/DC use a surprisingly clean sound (listen before you talk), and second, it's not designed to give proffesional sound. You get what you pay for and thats it. Good toy though. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Works just fine, durable, it's all digital computer chips n stuff, so no parts to break if droped. // 6

Overall Impression: Good as a starter point for hobbie "musicians." Good to experiment with, good to impress your 18 years old girlfriend, but not good for recording semi-serious stuff, the thing is, you can edit the sound afterwards, but if you start with something that sounds like a digital guitar toy-pedal, then you don't have much space for improvement. Sound good for what it is, a digital multieffect proccessor (made of plastic) that costs less than 100. Also good for jamming where flexibility of sounds is more important than sound quality. // 2

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G3X 9.3 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014