2020 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 07/22/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: 2020
The 2020 also features six different analog compression/distortion effects and two EQ settings which, coupled with the company's proprietary Zoom Noise Reduction (ZNR), provide smooth, highly realistic sound quality and natural decay with no noise, even at high gain settings.
 Ease of Use: 9
 5.6
 7.7
 3.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
2020 Reviewed by: Donkey Fly, on december 16, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: It's pretty easy to use. The effects are labelled clearly on the front and a bright led light shows you which effect you are on. Editing patches is easy but I had to look through the book first before I understood I fully. The manual is extremely detailed and will tell you all you need to know. I aren't certain if this has been upgraded. // 8

Sound: I use a cheap strat copy and a Behringer GM108 amplifier. It can be as noisy as you want it to be, using the ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction). Some of the effects are pretty poor such as the Wah and Overdrive but other than that, they are great. I play stuff like Green Day and Blink 182. The distortion works great on Green Day songs and I use the flanger alot cause I play blink. The flanger is awesome and so is the chorus. The Overdrive is the poorest. Here is a list of the effects: Clean 1, Clean 2, Overdrive 1, Overdrive 2, Dist. 1, Dist. 2, Compressor, EQ, Wah, Pitch Change, Phaser, Flanger, Tremelo, Stepper, Chorus, Delay, Ping Pong Delay, Reverb. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use it at a guitar. It is plastic and isn't extremely strong structure wise. I can depend on it for home use though. // 5

Overall Impression: I play punk/rock/punk pop so it does suit me rather well. I've only been playing since march. I'm getting a Richwood LP for Christmas '05. I currently have a Behringer Strat with a 15 watt amp. I don't think I needed to ask any questions. I only intended it to be a unit to use around the house. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again. I'd buy something better due to the lack of effects. I love the flanger and distortion that's all really. I didn't compare it as I only got it for a mess about around the house. I Wish it had more effects! Overall, I reccomend this for someone who aint serious or who just wants to try some effects out. // 6

2020 Reviewed by: mason gills, on july 22, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: I have only had the pedal for about two weeks now, and I already know how to work everything on it, it is very easy to figure out, and I didn't even need the manual. It is great if you aren't used to anything much more complicated than stompboxes. Editing is a snap, just hit "edit" button, change the sound to how you want, and save it to one of 5 banks and 4 patches. // 10

Sound: I mostly use either a Dean "Dime-O-Flame" or a Jackson RR1 with EMG 81/85's, and a Line 6 Spider II 150 watt amp. It runs fine for the most part, there is a noise gate called "ZNR" (zoom noise reduction) that you can change the level of so your noise doesn't sound unnatural when you stop. The distortions are not all that great, but if you play something kind of grungy or more alternative I'm sure it would be fine. Most of the effects work really good, I don't have an expression pedal for it, but it has a wah, volume, and pitch shift setting. The pitch shift can sound like a synth a little too much, and I wouldn't advise trying to play fast through it because of that, it doesn't sound as good as it should. Although you can change the ratio of the real sound vs. The shift, so you can make it sound like a distant Harmony or completely play the other tone. The other effects work great though, you can edit the speed and intensity of each one, including a ping-pong delay, which works through headphones too. With the feedback setting all the way up, you can keep a note gong for a couple minutes, and get feedback instantly just by standing near the amp. With headphones in, it sounds just as good as an amp, so if you want to practice quietly, it is a really good feature. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The top part of it and the switches are made of plastic, but because of its age and being made in japan and not china, it is actually pretty sturdy. I don't know if I would do a gig with it, you wouldn't want to land on it or something, but for regular playing, practice, or "calm" gigs, it would be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Opeth, Lamb Of God, Pantera, just generally heavy metal with some power metal, like tapping. I have to use an alternative outside pedal attatched to it, a DigiTech Grunge, and it sounds fine through that. The effects like chorus sound really good for calm breakdowns with accoustic settings. It doesn't have perfectly seamless switching, but it is so small you would notice unless you were listening for it. If I lost it, I would probably try to get another, but I'm getting a Boss GT-3 soon, so maybe not. The only problems are the distortions and the pitch shift isn't as good as something like a Boss ME-70 with a harmonizer, but it works fine if you want to write a two part Harmony and just want to get the pitches correct. Otherwise I'm very impressed with it, great buy! // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1on 9.2 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014