505 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 06/03/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: 505
Zoom 505 includes the latest and greatest distortions, delays, reverbs, wah, chorus, flanger, EQ, 2-octave pitch bend and more.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.6
 Ease of Use: 7.8
 6.1
 7.4
 4.7
reviews (5) 24 comments vote for this gear:
505 Reviewed by: Soad/rhcp/gnr, on august 05, 2004

Purchased from: midlands sound equipment, athlone

Ease of Use: It is vey daunting at first but after about ten minutes of readind the maual I completely under stood it. It is very loud when you first turn it on but that can be easily altered. I know there is a #2 model of this but I read the #2's reveiw and it's practictacally the same except for the colour. // 8

Sound: I use this with my new Vintage Metal Axe Sg and a Fender 15watt amp but with the distortion out of this anyone would think I was using an amp twice the size and price. I can get the soung Kirk Hammet gets out of the Enter Sandman solo with the wah effects. I can get that Jimi Hendrix feel out of this. You can also get the Welcome To The Jungle delay effect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Personaly its a little bit too small, like my frieand almost stood on it today. The wires are a bit messy, but I could depend on it. // 6

Overall Impression: This is my first effects pedal. It has really improved my soloing with the distortion and wah. I play hard rock and metal and love shredding and this helps. As I said it really get the absolute best out of my amp. If it were stolen Id buy the same one. I loved all of the features they all were great. I wish I had the expression pedal though, I feel as if I'm missing somethig without it. In Brief Great qaulity especially for the price. Get it. // 10

505 Reviewed by: Cam Dude, on january 04, 2007

Ease of Use: It is an easy device to use simply plug it into the amp, into the guitar and into the power supply and play through the different effects. It has editing patches so you can edit and customize effects to suit your liking. The manual is easy to use and can help you a lot if you didn't know what to do. It also explains how to customize effects on the pedal. // 9

Sound: I use a Stratocaster and a Marshall amp and have also played on an Ibanez guitar while using the pedal. The effects pedal can have it's volume adjusted so if you don't like it loud then you can lower it. Some of the effects can be weak but usually they produce quite a good sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on the pedal and wouldn't expect it to break down for a while even though I've had it now for 2 years. I'd use it in a gig without a backup as my amp contains effects which suit the style of music I play (rock) so if something did happen to it I could just use my amps effects. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music and the effects pedal seems to work with it. If none of the effects worked with the music I could always modify them. If I had to buy the pedal again I probably wouldn't as it was only a starter while I was learning guitar basics, I'd probably look into a more expensive effects pedal. // 9

505 Reviewed by: ScruffMcGruff, on november 15, 2007

Ease of Use: This little pedal may pack a lot of effects for you to use, but it can be a bit tricky trying to figure out what all the two charactered digital readings mean on the screen. It's easy to get confused, wondering "Woah, what the hell did I just do" and having to look up in the manual how to set something back. However, once you've taken in everything in the manual you get the hang of things a lot easier. One thing One thing that's kind of ridiculous is the fact that there are different equalizer preset numnbers, not a full equalizer where you can customize it's lows, mids, or highs, it's all presets to choose from, no fine tuning at all. Whenever I find the effect I want to turn on, it simply just gives me a number representing how extreme or subtle the effect is. For example, in delay, it just gives you nine settings, one with long delay, one with short delay, no fade outs so you always here the same echo at the same volume, which is really lame. // 6

Sound: None of the patches that were originally assigned to the Zoom 05 I seemed have found useful. So I had to edit the patches so they'd fit what I wanted to play, but even with fine adjustments, the sounds I get out of it are really digital and fake sounding, not natural at all. The worst of it is the distortion settings, none of them feel right, except for acoustic or rythmn cause those hardly distort at all. If you're looking for a heavy metal sound, it's not gonna come out pretty through this thing. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I haven't done any stress tests to figure out how durable the Zoom 05 really is, but it certainly isn't built like a tank, that's for sure. After a few days of use, the small buttons on the sides began to get stuck down whenever I press on them while editing a patch, screwing up any settings I have set up. The entire thing is made out of plastic so it feels really flimsy and I imagine it would be possible to break it under my own weight if I just stood with both feet straight on it. // 4

Overall Impression: For beginners, this is good starter pedal to have fun with and experiment with different effects you can make with your guitar, but after a few months of having this pedal, I can surely say, that it's not something I'd want to be using on a stage or even at a small gig, you're better off buying combinations of different Boss pedals, that specialize in one thing effectively, rather than buying one multi-effect pedal that can do everything but with a half ass effort. // 5

505 Reviewed by: hekainu, on october 06, 2009

Ease of Use: At first glance, this pedal is an absolute maze. Reading through the manual is quite daunting but I stuck with it and after a while you realise that it isn't so bad after all. There are two buttons as well as the two pedals and you use these to cycle through the options and save your shiny new tones. It is easy to get the sound you want out of this thing and I had 4 very good tones lined up in a row so I could easily Switch between clean and distortion or distortion and clean with phase etc. The sheer range of tones and effects is incredible in such a cheap (underpriced) pedal. Pressing both pedals at once brings up the tuner which is pretty accurate and easy to use. The only problem with this, is that if you are trying to press both, you can miss and Switch between effects before you manage to press both pedals in at once. // 7

Sound: I have an Ibanez ART running through either a Spider II or 20 Watt Marshall. I love a dirty, noisy distortion and this pedal really nailed it down. Playing black metal with it is a joy. It can also do a really beautiful clean sound with a nice slow phase and chorus. The patches that come pre-programmed aren't very good in my opinion, but with a pedal like this, it is well worth sitting down for an hour and working out your own sounds. I think I sat with it for nearly 3 hours, going through all the range of mad effects which you can create. I even managed to get a weird didjeridoo noise which is damn near brilliant. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is made of plastic so it is never going to be as robust as a Boss pedal, but then you shouldn't be stamping so hard on it. I never run pedals through a battery so I can't say what the battery life on it is. You could definitely depend on this live and you won't need a back up. As long as it is looked after, there is no reason why it should break. My own pedal has started experiencing problems, effects not changing when you Switch pedals etc, but then it has been through 4 house moves and has been somewhat battered about so I don't hold it against the pedal. // 6

Overall Impression: I have had one of these for 3 years now, bought second hand and the poor thing has reached the end of its days, so I have just purchased a 05 II off ebay, hoping that it will be just as good as this, with perhaps a few upgrades. The thing I like best about this pedal, is the sheer range of sounds you can get out of it. It will ace any kind of distortion or Overdrive and makes your rig sound much bigger and more expensive than it really is. The only reason I have replaced mine with a 05 II is that I would like to try the upgraded one and see if it is just as good as the Original, and I am hoping that they have improved an already great pedal. If this had a metal body like a Boss pedal, it would be one the best damn pedals you could ever hope to buy. // 8

505 Reviewed by: ManuShaalya, on june 03, 2010

Ease of Use: It is easy to set good patches on a good guitar. But if you have a single coil pickup guitar, you'll need to spend more time. This is absolutely very easy to use and to set patches..considering that it doesn't offer you many options! It comes with a manual but you won't touch it..unless its your first processor. // 9

Sound: I have used it with ESP SC 207, ESP EC 50, Ibanez RG 350, Jackson RR and many other guitars. You can set good patches on any setup as long as you are willing to spend some time with it. I didn't particularly love the distortion sound..it didn't sound heavy enough..or may be I didn't set it properly? But some of the clean-acoustic sounds preset are wonderful. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I used it for around twenty shows..then I sold it and bought a Zoom g2.1u. It is durable..but the more you play, the more you'll find the need to buy a better processor just for the sound..not because it feels like it'll break any day! This lasted over two years of horrible handling and was still in a good shape when I sold it to a friend! // 7

Overall Impression: This is the best processor you will get for that price! I play everything from classical to Death Metal and initially, this felt just perfect but later I was unable to set the different sounds I wanted. This was my first processor. I felt it was a good 'first' processor due to the ease in using. You'll learn a lot in this and eventually find the need to buy a better processor. Buy it if you have a low budget or if if you're buying your first processor! // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/07/2014