505 II Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 09/05/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: 505 II
33 guitar effects, arranged in seven modules. A large rotary selector, easy-to-read red LED display and foot switches, ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction); rear panel input for an expression pedal; integrated auto chromatic tuner.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Ease of Use: 8.9
 7.7
 8.6
 6.8
reviews (35) pictures (4) 20 comments vote for this gear:
505 II Reviewed by: guiltkill, on may 22, 2006

Ease of Use: Well the Zoom 505 #2 multi-EFX is easy to use, the rotary control tells you what function(s) are you working with. However you should read also the manual for further details. You can get the sound what you want by using or switching pathches or even editing/creating up your own through mixind modules. The lather is also equipped with an auto chromatic tuner which saves up your time tuning by ear. It has a large red led which is birhgt enough to see even in those darker places specially in gigs/concerts. // 9

Sound: The sound is pretty much good, the distortion sounds awesome though its not that heavy as those distortion pedals which is offered in the market so if your looking for more heavy sounds try another distortion pedals which is for you to choose. Other effects like tremolo, chorus, delay, compressor, doubling are great you can emulate the sounds of some of your favorite artists. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This multi-FX is made up of plastic so I think it isnt pretty much advisable to use it on stage because you might broke it when switching from patch to patch. However you can rely upon this multifx because it carries a lot of feautures and you can mix it up with those analog effects pedals for much great sounds. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all I like the product Zoom 505 #2 this was my very first multifx pedal. For a hobbyist like me it is much advisable, for you will learn how certain effects work together to create up your own sound. It is equipped with lots of features that surely all of you will like.. // 9

505 II Reviewed by: merabharatmahan, on february 08, 2006

Ease of Use: It is a pretty easy pedal to use and can be figured out quite easily using the manual. Many good sounds can be got out of it from the preset patches and be making your own patches. Some websetes also offer you patch settings for specefic songs or sounds. Editing patches is pretty easy after reading the manual and understanding each setting. The manual is really good and it can be used for any problem that might arise. // 9

Sound: It is a really good multi-processor and has some amazing patcheson it. It can get a little noisy but it can be solved by tweaking the settings. Most of the effects sound great and possibility of your own patches is also really good. I can get practically any sound I want on it from all artists. All the effects are good and a added benefit is the ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction), which helps alot. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has a slightly weak body and you would need to hadle it with care. It has pretty low battery life and there is a must for spare cells (AA). I would use it in a gig but I would advise everyone to have spare set of cells handy. It would also be good to change the cells after every set. A backup is not neccesary. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal and it suits these genres perfectly. I am pretty sure it suites all other genres well and gives an amzing sound. I have been playing for a year and I find this pedal a really good buy. If it ever gets lost, I will buy an other one. It is a really good pedal for any guitarists and is an gud buy. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: macclad, on june 16, 2004

Purchased from: 'Ryhtm House' Stoke, West Midlands

Ease of Use: A simple but great sounding patch adjustment system. With 6 banks with 6 patches each there is no difficulty fittin all the effects I need. // 8

Sound: I use an 80 watt Peavey number. This along with the pedal enables me to get a great sound out of my Encore. I am currently saving for a new guitar, possibly a Tom Delonge Strat but for now my encore gives me the best sound I need. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is extremely reliable. I practice about 5 hours a day, sometimes more and it still takes about 2 and a half weeks to drain 4 AA size batteries. I would gig without a backup with this. If my Peavey happens to pack up it has an amp simulator for a great sounding guitar effect. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk rock, with 16 different distortions I have experimented and found that a PV Drive effect with about 5 sixths of the maximum gain gives a great noise. // 8

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2004

Purchased from: Paul Bothners

Ease of Use: This is pretty easy to use, you would get nowhere without the manual though, but once you get the thing worked out, you can release some killer tones. The patches are really good with some nice pre-set ones. If you don't know how to use the pedal properly you could get a bit stuck and irritated and some people complain bout changing patches but once you know how to use the patch switch function, this pedal kills! // 10

Sound: This peadal can realease some deadly sounds with the tweaking. I play nu-metal and heavy metal (System Of A Down, Norma Jean, Neshamah, The Used) so this pedal is good for me. I play a Cort G-250 with a 15 watt Fender amp and it sounds really wicked on it. When I'm on stage I use a PA system and the pedal sounds great through that as well. Sometimes the effects can be a bit noisy, but with noise reduction (bulilt into the pedal) it makes the pedal the best on earth. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have slammed on this pedal pretty hard when I'm on stage and it seems to have lasted, but I havent exactly put all my weight on it yet because the pedals are made of plastic and don't look to strong, but the bottom is made of steel so there is a strong base. Personally I wouldn't have a back-up at a gig, this pedal seems pretty reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about a year and a half and I got this pedal about 6 months ago and has been the greatest. This pedal makes the Overdrive on my amp seem junk. If I ever buy another effects pedal I would definetely buy a Zoom one, because they sound awesome and they are dirt cheap. So take my advice and go buy one today! There is one thing I always wondered, why are Zoom pedals so cheap? If you have the answer please e-mail me at habotic@yahoo.com. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 17, 2005

Purchased from: Davis Guitar

Ease of Use: This was my very first effects pedal in my whole life. I got it as a birthday present in 2004. Its pretty compact and I've relied on it for quite a few gigs now. Even better if you use batteries! Makes it much more convenient. However, I didn't really know how to use this but once I found out how, it really became really fun and easy creating your own original soung. // 8

Sound: I did not really like the distortion the first time I heard it. I play a lot of rock and nu metal like Blink 182, Linkin Park and of course Green Day. There isn't enough distorted sound but I just increased the gain and everything was fine. Other than that the sound is really good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on it pretty much. Even though I have a GFX-1 now I still use the 505-2 at gigs too. And yes I would use it without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I feel that this can match any kind of music and it is really amazing for its size and quality. // 8

Purchased from: Musi-tech

Ease of Use: Great effects,easy to use, I learned how to program patches and all that in just a couple of days, the manual is helpful, it has diagrams, but it could have been maybe just a bit more clear. All in all, it's awsome. // 8

Sound: My current setup is a shitty Nevada imitation strat and a small 30 watt Nevada amp. Before I got my pedal, for some reason when I would use distortion, there would be alot of feedback and static,but then I got my pedal, plugged it in, and it took all that shit away and it even makes my amp louder, it's great. From since I got it, there has been no problems, the effects have been sounding good. Well there's a whole bunch of types of distortion and all, so yeah, I can say I kinda get the sound of my fav bands (Blink 182, Sum 41, Lit, Treble Charger, Green day, Fenix TX and a whole bunch more). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this pedal a whole lot,if I had a backup I would use it, but I wouldn't be too worried if I didn't have a backup because this pedal is very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk music in my band called Physical Contact, this pedal works great with it. I have been playing for 9 months now, I have to say that I think I'm pretty good considering I had no idea what i was doing when I first picked up a guitar. I would wait if it got stolen or lost, I would have to think about it if I would buy a different one or a same one. To conclude, I think it's agreat invention,nice and small and it does the job, keep on playin. // 10

Purchased from: Allans Music Australia

Ease of Use: The Zoom 505 comes with 36 patches (the majority of them sound good) and can all be edited, there are excellent typed of distortions (12 in total) and many other effects including delays, flangers, choruses, pitch shifters, phasers. The manual is a geat help however the unit itself is fairly self-explanitry. However changing to different effects can sometimes be a problem, ones you get used to there functions it becomes easy. // 8

Sound: I am using an Ibanez RG 170 and an Ashton GA100 quad box with an ashton GQ100 head. The patches on the pedal have a volume control (which can be changed for each patch) with this you can achieve the perfect noise level from the effect. Most of the effects always sound great. THe pedal can emulate such sounds as System Of A down, P.O.D., Pantera, Amen, Grinspoon...pretty much anything you want it to do, the majority of the effects sound very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As long as you have spare batteries it is very reliable... I do use it at gigs without backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a mixture of punk, hard rock and metal this pedal is ideal for this style of music as you can get awesome distortions and great sounding mod effects e.g. flanger/chorus. I have been playing for 3 years, I have an Ibanez RG170 a Peavey Raptor an Ibanez DS7 Distortion pedal (which I don't use anymore cos I own the Zoom) and an ashton quad box and head. If it were stolen I would be another one because they are cheap and extremely versatile. I love being able to make effects that people with just stomp boxes can't, I hate how it doesn't have a wah pedal on it, however there is a jack at the back for a wah extension which can be bought, I love the mod effects, I compared it to buying stomp boxes, and if I had of bought stomp boxes I would've got the same sound, however they would've been harder to use and would've cost me a hell of alot more. I wish it had a wah. It definately helps me make music, because it is possible to make unique effects. The Zoom 5052 is an extremely versatile pedal that is light weight, cheap and very effective. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 04, 2003

Ease of Use: It's very better then Zoom 505 #1. It's maybe the only very good thing on this unit U can learn it fast and the manual is ease to understand. You can play with sound and I like that all kinds of effects. But there could be bigger knobs on the unit. // 8

Sound: I have Ibanez JS100, Zoom 505 #2 Boss MT-2, Marshall 2200 head. I hate clean sounds it can make your guitar sound really bad. All lows are distorted and nothing can help it. Acoustic effect sucks nothing but lows no clarity. Chorus not so bad, it could be better. Some distotions are good and I like them but some are shit, they have only lots of higs or lots of lows. I like flanger. But this effect for the preiss you can get it is good. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's good. But that adapter suplies can causes you a lot of trouble. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock, some jazz. I'm playing 7 years now. If this thing was stolen I wouldn't buy another one or another multieffect unit maybe processor. I like the priss of it and some things but it's not good if you want something really good and full of tone. // 6

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2004

Purchased from: Brandalinos Music

Ease of Use: This is a very very easy pedal to use, even though u'll have to spend about a half hour to learn all the features... Still this is the easiest multi-effect pedal I've ever used, especially editing patches. Just hit the "store" button,select where u wanna put the effect, then hit it again, and ure done! The manual shows you how 2 do it, but u can fgure it out. The manual is easy to read, it shows you all the effects and what they do to the sound waves as they pass the patch, its great. I personally would recommend the new 808 version, more effects and easier to use. But if ure not willing to spend that kind of money, then buy this, you will love it. // 10

Sound: My setup is a small crate amp and a BC Rich Warlock Bronze :). They both have great sound, and this just all out makes it kick ass. Some of the effects are more low-end or more high-end so some are hard to hear with the distortion. I personally like the MOD section. There is stuff like chorus, doubling, and(my personal favorite) flanger. I am a Smile Empty soul fan, so I'm lovin this effect, and there are others that i like more, but I wanna keep this short. Like I said, some of the effects are ended so you have to crank the gain on them. Gain increases effect intensity, another reason I love this thing. The only serious problem I see is that since my Crate is small, it cant handle much bass. Some distortions have a lot of bass backup in them to get a forceful sound, so my amp rattles sometimes. This is still bearable though, because it still has great sound. Probably the greatest thing you can d is mix up distortions. I re-created the following distortions: Benji Madden of GC (mix MS Overdrive with C-1 distortion), Santanas old distorion(Mix some of the overdrives) and finally, the legendary Kurt Cobain's distortion (C-1's distortion with the gain cranked to the masses). The flanger, distortion, and chorus are awesome, but some of the stuff like doubling and light chorus are a little bad (especially since you cant mixem to even the ends). But since this is a great pedal, its all made up for. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend the hell outta this. I am in a band and I play live alot, and I do not by any means need a back up. The olny problem here: The batteries drain like all hell. But get some rechargeable batteries and youll be fine. I can really depend on this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: Our band is a great combo: Bass drive of Mudvayne, Fastness of System of a Down, Chevelles tones, and lyrics that remind me of Smile Empty Soul. This matches perfectly. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: ICEMAN400, on january 16, 2004

Ease of Use: It's a good pedal and it's easy to use to. The manual Kinda helped but's it's a little confusing at first. Editing the patches is also kind of confusing but besides that it's pretty easy to use. // 8

Sound: The sound is good. well really it's Awsome makes single coils sound like humbuckers. The distortion is awsome, Same for chorus, flanger, etc. The one thing I wish this had was better Auto Wah, the auto wah is so low u have to hit all the strings to get a good wah sound from this, So ur going to have to buy a real wah wah pedal, but there are a lott of things the pedal does besides wah when hooked up to this alot of the features are allowed to be controlled by pedals so a pedal is a necissaty for this. But overall the sound is awsome. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's really dependable and it's got great battery life. In fact I've had the same batteries for about a month and I haven't changed them and I play alot. May look kinda cheap only thing is I wish the switchs were a little more pressure sensitive on mine so I can switch faster but besides that it's reliable and durable, Great pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, Thrash, and Alternative and this pedal really helps. All the distortions allow you to put a mood into your music and all the other effects help as well. As I said earlier the only fault I can find with this pedal is the Auto Wah is very weak. Besides that it's awesome. If it were stolen I would replace it with the same thing. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2004

Ease of Use: This is probably one of the most easiest pieces of equipment I have used, easy to edit effects, easy to change from effect to effect, no hassle, no fuss, does the job perfect. // 10

Sound: I'm using this little gizmo with a Fender Strat and an Orange Crush15, for home use or small gigs, it has beautiful tremelo sounds which you can adjust for acoustic effects and so forth...the distortion on it is also very good, gets the best out of an amp, any amp! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable, however, it did somehow jump from one effect to another when I was playing at a gig... // 6

Overall Impression: For the styles I play (Punk, Alternative & Indie sort of thing) the pedal does me gr8, has a nice flanger effect which I have aligned next to my usual distortion effect which I have edited it to my own taste and the acoustic guitar sounds are nice too. Favourite feature of this pedal has to be the various different types of flanger and chorus effects. Down side to this pedal is it does mysterious things at gigs... // 8

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2004

Purchased from: lakeshore music

Ease of Use: This little monster of a multi effects pedal can be used very easily in my oppinion. Can switch quickly between 36 patches. Would be better if the pedals were more sensitive for easier switching. editing and creating new patches is fairly simple, although I like analog controls better. // 8

Sound: I mainly use it with my Ibanez GRX-20 and Traynor Reverb mate 40. It sounds fairly descent, but since my amp is only a transistor amp, some of the effects dont sound as sharp as they should. Some of the distorion effects even sound soft when at lower volumes. Although the metal sounds usually sound really nice and sharp. The distortion effects are nice and strong, but I find the wah to be really weak. I play a lot of Blink 182, Sum 41, Metallica, Linkin park, and a variety of other hard rock bands, and I can usually synthesise most of the sounds they use. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well... it hasnt broken yet. I've jumped on it a few times in live gigs for added effect, and im surprised it hasnt broken since it is just plastic. I would definitely use it in a gig without a backup since I don't have a backup. Overall, I would say that it is pretty darn durable, but it would be better if it was metal. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of hard rock and heavy metal music, and this pedal works great for me since it has a wide variety of distrotion, flanging, and chorus effects. I have only been playing for about a year now, and don't own that much in the way of guitar effects. If it got stolen, I would might buy another one, but if I had more money at the time, I would probably buy a more high end model. I love the metal distorion and chorus on this pedal, but wish it had stronger wah. I have also tried using this pedal with a squire strat, a paul stanley silvertone, an epiphone Gothic Flying V, and a takamine G-series acoustic. All of the distortion sounds with the silvertone come out as a low frequency crucnh - very heavy - very nice. The metal sounds are especially strong with the epiphone. I just wish it had better wah... // 8

505 II Reviewed by: charger356, on january 28, 2004

Ease of Use: This unit is relatively easy to use. At first, I was content with most of the previously created patches. As time went on, though, I needed something more edgier. There, I found that there is a rather large variety of effects to combine to form one sound. This may be a strenuous task, but it is worth every labored second. So if you are looking for a specific sound, you are bound to find the right combination to blow your mind! // 8

Sound: I am quite embarrassed to say that I use an Epiphone Goth SG on a Fender Stage 100 amp. It sounds pretty good. In order to get the sound of my favorite artist (METALLICA!!!), you will just have to adjust the amp settings. The pedal is perfectly fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is rather dependable, though I would never use it for a gig. The pause between changing patches would make me feel uncomfortable on stage... // 6

Overall Impression: I play rock, and I have to say that this unit hasn't "blown me away", but it did meet my expectations. If it were to be stolen, I would probably buy a more updated product than this one. I love the fact that the patches can be changed to fit your needs, but I hate having to search endlessly through settings to get the desired sound. Overall, I found it rather average. // 6

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 18, 2004

Purchased from: Music Store

Ease of Use: This effects pedal is very easy to use and has a good few preset effects as well as being able to make my own patches... I haven't personally read the manual (too lazy) but it is easy to use and I figured it out pretty well without it. // 8

Sound: I use a Peavey Raptor plus guitar with a rage 158 peavey amp and when I use the pedal I get some great metal distortion out of it as well as a good acustic replication... I mainly use the "C1" preset with a patch level of about 25. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far it has served me well... batteries last a really long time in it and it was easy to use, if I was doing a gig I would definitely make sure I had new batteries in it just to be safe though. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of metal music and ocasionally stuff like "The Doors" and I find this pedal to be great, I have only been playing around 5 months but I am ok at playing... if I was going to get a new pedal I would probably get the 06 though because it has a whammy/wah pedal on the side but if you are half new to the world of guitars this would be a good pedal to start wit or even if you aren't new and looking for some good metal distortion I suggest this pedal. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: alvarols, on march 25, 2004

Ease of Use: It's very easy to use, you don't really read the manual, even though the manual is good to understand. Maybe it's not the most appropiate to play live, but it works. It's very easy to make your own sounds, and you can forget the amp's settings with this little thing. I learned to use it the first day I bought. // 10

Sound: Some effects are very good but other not so good. I like some distortions (like Overdrive, distortion and lead to make solos), but others are weak and you can't manipulate the distorsions as one wants. The delays and echo effects are very good. The compressor is very good also but sometimes I hear noises when I use it. The choruses and flangers good, and you can armonize your solos with this unit, in 3rds, 4rds and octaves. The Phaser is good, The wah wah. so, so. and the ring tone I don't know what can I do with. I can emulate the sounds of different groups, like Pearl Jam, Placebo, Zeppelin, Hendrix and Santana Guitar very good, also some U2 songs, Grunge songs. Others I can't. I use a Fender champ 30W and a Fender Stratocaster with the Zoom. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's easy to use and the materials are good. The problem is the bateries only last 28 hours and I have to change the bateries each 2 weeks. But you can buy an AC adaptor. Sometimes it's difficult to change the patches when you play live but you can buy an optional footswitch. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alternative music and I'm happy with the Zoom but I know there are better effects pedals. I owned a Danelectro Overdrive but I don't use it anymore because the Zoom Overdrive is better. I've been playing for a year and 2 months and I have 4 months with the Zoom. I love the time effects and some distortions, I hate other distortions like rhythm and Bg. The acoustic effect it not very well. It's good to make solos. It's very cheap for the things that this unit can do, and the perfect unit to start to know the effects. // 8

505 II Reviewed by: Until_it_sleeps, on may 03, 2004

Ease of Use: The presets were pretty bad, I was disapointed the second I played it. But then I screwed around with the settings and made some patches that are awesome. It's complicated at first, but after you get the feel straight forward. Switching can be a pain. There are 6 banks, each with 6 effects. You can switch each bank at a time, but the button is tiny and hard to hit with your toe. So then you find yourself switching through the patch one by one. You have to end up saving your favorite patches side by side for quick switching between them. // 8

Sound: I use a JT-300 (Strat Copy) with a 15 watt crate. My stupid amp handles the bass poorly, and I had to customize a lot of patches so the speaker wouldn't rattle the hell out of itself. The clean patches are amazing, with chorus perfectly simulates Metallica and other various bands. But on my amp you have to crank down the bass and put up the treble to get a clear sound. I assume it's my cheap amp and not the pedal's fault. This pedal sounds the best in the tuning C,G,C,G,B,e, or at least in my opinion. The lower sounds help compensate bass since ont h amp you need to turn them way down. One thing, when I first got this I was running it through clean, but I wasn't getting a good distortion sound. So I switched it to distortion, and lowered the gain level to about 4. THe clean stays clean and the distorted sounds way heavier, so I'm happy with it. The effects are good, Overdrive, Lead, Fuzz, Chorus, Flanger are the best, and the wah sucks. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't take this to a gig. It's a serious pain in the ass. Unless you had all your patches perfectly lined up, it wouldn't be worth it. It's durable, the bottom is metal and has rubber stops to prevent it from slipping around. I worry about the power input falling out of the input socket, it's a pretty loose fit. Other than that I trust it. But I still want seperate pedals effects, this didn't solve anything. // 6

Overall Impression: I play nu-metal, and some harder stuff like Metallica. I only found 3 channels on thsi that I really enjoy, the rest are just "there". I really don't care for this pedal, and I'll be more than eager to buy some seperate effect pedals. It's a bitch on batteries, so I paid $50 for the Boss power supply. I love the tuner, it's the best thing in this thing. The noise reduction system, (ZNR), works well. You might want this on the end of an effects line, cause its a good noise gate. It could be better, but hell, for th eprice this is great. I recommend it to beginners, and like I said, it might just be my amp that f--ks the sound. // 8

505 II Reviewed by: easwaran, on august 06, 2004

Purchased from: Tokyo

Ease of Use: Yeah its pretty damn easy to use. Straight forward and simple. // 10

Sound: Sounds generated are extremely good with a fairly good range I'd say. Presets weren't all that great except for a few really unique ones. You can make some kick ass distortions from this though. Unfortunately the amount of chorus + another effect wasnt all that good as far is range is concerned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I used it like hell and it still works without a hitch. But I gave it a four because the expression started to act a bit funny at max and min values after a year or so. Not a big problem but the fact that it did give away slighty lowered its rating. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall impression is excellent. For its size, it generates awesome sounds and I like the fact that the expression is independent, good for us left footers. Its perfect for playing at small gigs because everything fits in a tiny bag. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Purchased from: Friend

Ease of Use: This Machine is very easy to use, but at first it's quite hard, it is very important to read the manual or you'll be lost when creating your own patches. Editing the patches are pretty easy if you know what you doing. The manual is very comprehensive so if you have that you have a clear path from there on. // 8

Sound: I use a Jackson Warrior XT which is great for heavy metal and a use a PA system with it. It sounds great, the variety of tones is endless with the ability to make your own patches. There are not many effects which are weak, I haven't tried them all yet, but the ones I have tried have been superb. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems pretty solidly built. Nothing has broken yet and I've had it for about a year now. I have played gigs with it, without a back-up and it has been great! // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 3 years and I play all kinds, from rock to metal to blues to classic, This pedal has the widest variety of effects to fit any style. So I suggest it to anyone! I can't think of anything I wish it had because it's all brilliant. If it was lost or stolen I would Definetly by another Zoom, not neccessarily this one, but a Zoom because of their wide variety of sounds. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2005

Purchased from: Clinky's

Ease of Use: When I first got it I wasn't too impressed with the effects it came with. But after I read the manual I got the hang of it and started tweaking the effects. I have to put my effects close together though, and I sometimes have to make copies of the effects in diffent banks to make my life easier. It's a hell of a lot easier that way. I'd also suggest creating a blank effect with nothing on it as a clean sound to make switching to multiple effects easier. It also easier than pressing the bypass all the time. // 8

Sound: I use either a Fender Strat or a Epiphone Les Paul into a CryBaby, the Zoom and a Marshall Jackhammer. When I practice I use a Fender 30 Watt Champion but when practicing with the band or giging I run through a dinosaur of a Yamaha someone gave me. It gives awesome distortion if you find the right mix. The octave splits sound really bad but we're not all Tom Morello. I wouldn't rely on auto-wahs and using a seperate wah pedal means you can mix the wah with any effect. For the most part, I get all the effects I need. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for three years and it still works like a charm. It does feel light and plasticy, so I wouldn't jump on it. I've giged with it without a backup and it's done the job. My friend has a 707 2 but mine has been more reliable than the 707. // 10

Overall Impression: I play funk to heavy rock. It's suits all the styles I play and overall it's a good pedal. If it were stolen I'd laugh 'cause you could sell it for about a tenner then I'd buy another one. It's been reliable and sounds great. // 8

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2005

Ease of Use: It is a very easy-to-use pedal in which you can find your needed effect quick enough. The manual is pretty much straightfoward. This is a black 052 different to the ones that are sold in America. I haven't used it in a while because I'm using a Boss DS-1 and a Boss 0D-3 which have a better sound for me. // 10

Sound: This has a reasonably good sound but if your going to play a gig with it make sure you set each patch volume correctly in case you might get a sudden severe feedback when you switch. The main thing I do not like about it is that there is a very short delay when you switch patches. It's only about a millisecond but I would reccomend Zoom as they change straight away. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this as can always be used as a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a mixture of all rock music such as Snow Patrol, Green Day and some of our own. I have been playing since I was 10 and I'm only 16 now. I have a Boss DS-1 and a Boss OD-3 and I'll probably buy more pedals such as a Boss tremolo and Equaliser and Compression Sustainer. At the moment I have a small Marshall practice amp and will soon buy a Marshall DSL100 when I get the money. I would have preferred to have got Boss pedals instead which are more expensive but very professional. If it got stolen I would have to rely on more Boss pedals. I love tha many effects such as step as you can use it for some Killers tracks. I mostly hate the delay in switching. My friend had this and I thought it was good so I got it for my birthday. // 6

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2005

Ease of Use: It is quite easy to get a good sound out of this little box, and I got it for my birthday. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it hink it's grown on me. I haven't quite got round to fiddling with distortion and editing patches, but from reading the manual it seems like it would be relatively easy. There is also an option for if you want all the edited patches to go back to the way they were when you first bought it. The manual is small, but easy to understand. // 8

Sound: I am using it currently with a small amp and a Fender Slammer electric, and even though I have a small amp of about 30 cms each way, it still gives a good sound. It can be very loud, and some patches go better with different volume settings. The effects are very good quality, and usually sound great, even when you're playing random chords instead of an actual song. It has roughly 36 patches, and if you fiddle around with the pitch/ distortion and other effects, you can generally obtain the sound of quite a few bands. I've found a patch that could be related to Green Day, but I can't remember any others at the moment. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think I can pretty much depend on it, but my guitar is going through a funny stage, so I haven't been able to use it for a few days. I would use it ina gig without backup, but I don't know if others would. The only problem I had with it was the tuning facility. It said to tune higher, so I did and I ended up with a broken string. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk, classical and rock generally, and it provides all types of sounds to siut these styles. I have been playing for 6 years and I have an acoustic guitar, a Fender Slammer and my amp, and the box. I also have an electric tuner, but that's all really. If it were stole/lost I would definately buy it again. I really like this little box, it helps alot with my playing, and it even has a tuning facility, which I don't really use. Overall I love the thing. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: Slayer224, on november 04, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty basic and simple to use but only after you've read the manual. Only takes about a day or two of messing around to get used to it. I suggest getting an AC adaptor, batteries only last for 28 hours. // 10

Sound: Ok now the effects. They are alright, about medium. The flanger, phaser and chorus are nice, most of the distortions are average not too great, the wah is weak and sounds like a duck quacking, the znr is useful but it dosent really reduce noise by much, the 4 band eq is quite good and there are other effects, some are quite useless. Overall the effects arent that great but still usable. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Its quite reliable. I've never gigged with this before so I dont really know. Its made of plastic but still its quite strong and durable. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal (Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden) and a tiny bit of rock. This pedal isnt too good for it since the distortion isnt really the metal type but still usable. If it were lost or stolen I wouldnt buy it again, instead I would buy a good wah pedal and a distortion pedal. Still this is a good pedal for begginer/intermediate players. // 7

505 II Reviewed by: wylde_overdrive, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: St. Johns music

Ease of Use: This was my first pedal and I got it for christmas last year and I am still making new sounds with it. It is very easy to use and easy to get a good sound. To edit patches you turn a knob and set the value. Bam! Done. The manual that came with this pedal was very helpful. It explained all the effects really well. // 10

Sound: I currently have a Squier Stratocaster and A Peavey Rage 158 as my setup. I love the sounds I can get out of the pedal. This pedal is not noisy at all and with the Zoom Noise Reduction System it has a noise suppressor ability. Some effects are much better than others (the presets were not that great) but generally my own effects are great. I can get almost any sound out of this pedal, ranging from clean stuff to extremely distorted. I think all the effects are of good quality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal for what it is meant for, home use and some jamming with friends. I probably would not gig with it though, considering it is made of plastic. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock (Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, AC/DC etc) and even some Metal (Black Label Society, my own stuff) and I love this pedal for these sounds. I have been playing for about a year and a half and it suits me well. If this pedal were stolen I would probably buy another, although I am upgrading to individual effects soon. I love the Distortion, I hate nothing and my favourite feature is the pitch shifter (If I had the expression pedal of course). I must say I am completely satisfied with this product. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: Lgndkllr777, on january 13, 2006

Purchased from: Some Italian Music Store...

Ease of Use: This pedal I bought in Italy over the summer while on vacation. It's nice to get a bunch of different effects for a cheap price, but I prefer the Boss Pedals, because they are a lot more sturdy, and the Boss pedals are easier to change the tones on. This is great for making cool rings and stuff like that (such as noises you'd expect to hear in Powerman 5000's "Tonight The Stars Revolt"). The patches are easy to edit, the only this is if you need to edit them on stage at a gig, it will take a little bit to edit everything and save. Also, you have to make a new patch to use only one effect at a time, so if you wanted a clean delay, you'd need to make a new patch and turn of distortion/tremolo/wah/etc. I dunno if it's in all of them or just because I got mine in Italy, but mine came with a French/Spanish/Italian/Japanese/English Instruction Manual that is easy to understand. // 8

Sound: I use this on my Ibanez and a Fender 25R amp, hooked up to a pedal board with a Crybaby, EQ, distortion, tremolo, and octave. IF all other pedals are turned off it will get a good tone. One problem is the "patch level" is set really high at first, so in bypass mode your guitar might be quiet, but when you choose an effect it gets really loud, so you have to change the patch level to match the volume you want. I dunno if it is just my amp or what, but for me the tremolo effect never seemed to work for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is very dependable, you can power it with AA batteries or a power supply, and the batteries last over 28 hours. Also, when the low battery indecator starts blinking, you don't have to worry becuase it probably won't die for another 3 hours of use. The only thing is that it is made out of plastic, so I dunno how good it would be for gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: I play alternative rock and nu-metal songs and I found this pedal great, even with all my Boss pedals, I still use this to get abnormal effects (cool sounding stuff that Boss can't supply you with). // 9

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 06, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar shop.

Ease of Use: If you want any particular band distortions, youve got to tweak it for a long time but if you want an original sound, it goes flying. Editing patches is very easy, the positive side is that you can always test the patch before applying, if you did anything wrong. The manual gives a quick overview of all the possibilities, another + side is that there is an tuner built into it. // 9

Sound: I'm using this effect with my old Les Paul knockoff (musima) it sounds very nice, it goes through an oldschool russian "radiotehnika" amplifier into 2 large speakers, sounds very nice. The noise problem is only if you dont use the adapter, and when you set it on high gain, and volume. The only effect that really is a poo poo, is the wah, maybe you can make something sexy when tweaking but I havent tried yet. I can get all of my favourite artists, from the Nine Inch Nails synth to Metallica's heavy blocking. As I mentioned before the wha is the only thing bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It has a strong metal case, and it fell from 2 meters high before, and it still works so, id use it without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk, metal, strange industrial stuff, and blues, this pedal offers everything for a great price the ultimate thing for the beginner. I've been playing for 8 months now, and this is, I repeat this is an great pedal. If it were stolen id definetly hunt down the stealer (ninja style) and torture him till he bleeds, I compared it to an other strange pedal but the other one wasnt as good and didnt have as much as settings. My favourites about it are the easy usability and the tuning. The only thing I wish it had was the wah, but I can get a crybaby too. Definetly something for the people who want lots of effects for a cheap price, when they cant afford lots, like me. // 9

505 II Reviewed by: *Nirvana*, on june 24, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly easy to get a good sound out of and find the effects that you're looking for. Editing patches is very easy and you can usually make it do what you need it to. The manual helps where it can but I found the pedal pretty self explanitory the only thing I cannot get it to do is switch from one patch directly to another that is farther up or down the bank. // 8

Sound: I plug my Epiphone Les Paul Custom through this pedal into a Fender frontman amp and am able to get a pretty good sound out of it. It isn't noisy unless it is on a very high gain distortion setting in which case there is a bit of a hum. The effects are usually pretty good I especially like the delay but the phase shifter is kind of weak. I play mainly blues, classic rock, and metal and the blues driver is great, there is a modeling effect called Zep Stack that gives a pretty good Zeppelin, and the wild metal distortion is awesome. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would depend on this pedal and would use it at a gig without a backup I've never had this pedal fail me except for the batteries dying once. // 10

Overall Impression: If this pedal were stolen I would probably buy another one or maybe I would get the one w/ the expression pedal on it. As I said before I really like the Digital Delay and the harmonist is pretty cool (although a little annoying if over used). I also like the fact that it operates on AA batteries and not 9 Volts. I wish this pedal had the expression pedal on it but you can buy one seperately which is what I will probably do. // 9

505 II Reviewed by: Ultimate_Taffy, on july 04, 2006

Purchased from: E-bay

Ease of Use: As it is a multi effects pedal getting a specific desired tone is easy if you know how, its just knowing how. The controls arnt too tricky, aka spin dial to which effect you want to choose but as I bought it without a manual I had to work out how to edit patches and choosing effects all by myself. Editing the patches is easy enough. // 8

Sound: I'm using a 25 watt Carlsboro amp and a bc rich iron bird, a Jackson Performer and a Fender Strat with it and they all work well. It is noisy on different patches as you can have different patches at different volumes and as I am yet to change all the patches you get some horrid noises. The sounds you can get out of it are ok, for the price I paid and as I am not in a tribute band itll do but if you wanted to get a certian sound it'd be better buying the actual pedlas the artist uses. All the effects are standard, none are really outstanding as its a multi effects pedal, for better effects by the specific pedals. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It isn't all that dependable as mine already refuses to work with batteries and only a plug. I would not gig with it without some form of backup. // 5

Overall Impression: It's a good macth as I play all styles and this pedal lets me play them all at an alright level. I've been playing a year and have had this for half my playing time and it fits well with my other gear as it can cater for all of my guitars. If it was stolen or lost I doubt id buy another I'd go out and buy my faveourite effects sperately. // 6

505 II Reviewed by: a0kalittlema0n, on august 16, 2006

Ease of Use: This is an easy pedal to use but if you want to get into creating your own effects which is a lot of fun to do then you have to experiment with things a little bit. With the editing patches you can create your own sounds and modify the original sounds they gave you. I think this might be a little easier to figure out how to use it if you used the manuel they gave you but I never used it and I figured everything out pretty easily. // 10

Sound: I'm using a Ibanez RG350DX through a crappy off brand amp but it still comes through pretty well you can adjust the volume level on the pedal to way higher than your ever going to need it. The distortion on this pedal is awesome I only use it for the distortion and all my friends are jealous and are going to buy it because of the distortion. Some of the other effects are kinda weak like the delay is kinda weak and reverb and some other ones but then again I haven't fiddled with those effects too much so I wouldn't recommend this as a super multi effects pedal but a great one for all kinds of distortion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal pretty well, unless you lose the back that holds the batteries then your screwed I have to tape the back and it still doesn't hold very well but I have dropped it plenty of times on concrete and it's still holding strong and not even a chip on it. I would use it in a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 2 1/2 years play mostly Satriani and Vai music and some heavier metal like Nightwish, DragonForce, Sonata Artica type music and this pedal is great for all of those kinda of music especially for Satriani, Vai stuff one thing I don't like about this pedal is that the wah sux lol really bad so it's kinda disappointing but I would buy this over a metal zone or other Boss distotion pedals because this pedal has soo much versatility that other pedals don't have in the distortion factory. I mostly bought this pedal cause it was cheap and I didn't know anything about pedals then but it was a great deal. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2006

Ease of Use: I got the pedal un-opened and unused, I believe they normally sell around $100CAD. I used to use the Boss Distortion DS-1 stomp box which worked great. The Zoom has equally effective distortion, and it is much easier to adjust to personal preference. Unless you're familiar with using pedals, you may want to read the manual but most people get used to it within a day or two. I also have a Zoom 606 which I barely use because I don't need the wa-wa pedal. If you're into a more jazz/blues playing style, the 06 would be much better off. Other than that, it's great for any style player. The editing patches and manual controls are pretty straight forward. Over all easy use. The built in tuner will save you massive amounts of time. // 10

Sound: At practice I very between using a Gibson Voodoo, and a Godin Freeway Classic with a Peavey Rage 158 which gives off amazing sound, really. At shows, I use a 150 watt marshal amp with system controls. Unlike most pedals, this has an amazing noise reduction function which works great if you read the manual and learn how to use it. All effects work great but I would suggest adjusting them to personal preference just because from experience, the pre-sets don't work for most people. I play everything from Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Used, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying and Silverstein. I can easily tweak the distortion (which is what I normally use) based on whatever I need it to be. It takes a few seconds to adjust and sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Many people would complain about the bettery life. Lesson to every guitar player buying any pedal: if it depends on batteries, get a AC adaptor. I keep batteries in it but I always use the adaptor and rely on the batteries for back-up, which I never need. If you do plan on using batteries all through out using the pedal: get good quality rechargeables. They'll last 4 times as long as normal batteries and you won't complain about the sound. I use this for gigs all the time. I don't know why on earth you'd want to put all your weight on it. The casing is plastic but the base is steel. It will last you, I assure you. You take good care of your guitar, take care of your pedal. I know people Who have been using this pedal for years in gigs and practice, it lasts, trust me. // 10

Overall Impression: I own several other stomp boxes and pedals. Although this is my favourite compact multifx pedal. I don't regret buying it, I collect guitars as well as hardware and this one's extremely reliable with great sound. If you're disapointed, you either don't know how to use it or you're imagining an impossible sound in your head. I wish it came with an AC adaptor, but they're cheap and easy to find so you've got nothing to worry about before buying it. I use rechargeable batteries just in case. Works great for gigs. Unless you're high class and super picky, you won't be disapointed. // 10

505 II Reviewed by: Clocks91, on february 10, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control Online

Ease of Use: As soon as this compact unit is plugged in, amazing sound is kicked out from a pre-set overdriven patch. With many pre-sets including an 'Eddie Van Halen Patch' that promises to re-create the sound of Eddie all the way to patches even Buckethead would be proud of, playing out some of the weirdest sounds you'd ever hear. The patch editing at first is a little tricky, but once you've got the abbreviations and layout sorted, you're away. // 10

Sound: I have both an Epiphone Les Paul and a Squier Stratocaster and this effects pedal adds terrifically to any guitarists armoury. With almost all of the effects sounding amazing everytime (the distortion is sometimes a bit weak/noisy). And with enough knowledge of your favourite song/artist you can recreate their sound with the touch of a few buttons. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is both reliable and easy to use and would make an ideal primary pedal for a gig. With the osund hardly ever compromised by any setup on the guitar, the effect banks always perform up to a higher than regular standard, and always a chance of improving with the click of a button, or the stomp of a pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: As a guitarist with many Blues roots, and with influences such as David Gilmour, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page all incorporating blues into their play the Zoom 505-II has a wide range of different effects that help to improve my playing. the main problem with this product is it does not come with a built in expression pedal, which means you have to pay out more to get the most out of this product. // 7

505 II Reviewed by: underoath0902, on november 16, 2007

Ease of Use: Great sound for the price and very simple movement between patches. Editing, saving, and copying patches is fast and very easy. The manual is fairly helpful relatively easy to understand. When I first got it last year, I had about a year of playing experience and no effects experience. No problem. After about 15 minutes, I had already edited my own custom patches and was switching, mid-riff, between them. A simple, to the point F/X. // 10

Sound: I use a Jackson Rhodes (set bridge) and a Strat as guitars, and a First Act amp (can you tell I'm broke). I have also used a Crate 100w and a Marshall 100w. Good overall sound but some heaver distortion can be a noisy even with the built-in noise reduction. It has by-pass and mute. It has some pretty sweet distortion and flanger F/X. Delay/reverb is pretty good but can get messy. Overall 8 for the sound but for the price, it is excellent. Also great for Kris's UG.TV lesson on whammy bar harmonics. Go Kris! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I honestly don't know the durablility, I don't really abuse it. I wouldn't stomp too hard though. It can run on 4AA batteries or 12v adapter (not included). I wouldn't rely on batteries but I also haven't, so I wouldn't know for sure. // 6

Overall Impression: With metal, it's ok. With punk, it's ok. With blues, it's ok. It doesn't really have a style but is pretty good for most. It has 11 types of distortion (OD, lead, metal, blues) plus an accoustic sim. 9 mods(chorus, flanger, pitch, swell). And 4 delay/reverb settings with 30+ different speeds (delay, echo, hall, and room). It's a pretty flexible setup but not really strong in any one genre. I am looking to get other effects just to make it stronger for metal but provides a good, cheap base for beginning, traveling, or, like me, finding a style to expand on. It's no P.O.D. but it is a very good value for beginners and the experienced Who want to travel small, light, and powerful. // 9

505 II Reviewed by: MedMantle, on november 11, 2008

Purchased from: The Music Shop

Ease of Use: At first it seems a bit hard to understand how it works but after you Read the Manual(Which is very informative by the way) you will soon be getting the sound you like. It is very easy to use! The only problem is getting from one patch to another could result in some unwanted noise from the patches in between them. // 10

Sound: I use the pedal on my very cheap No-Name Guitar Setup and it makes it sound like a Million Dollars! Most of the effects are Great except some of the Metal Distortions. The pedal also has a Built in Noise Reduction setting which can be turned up if effects are too noisy, too much though and you will get an unnatural sound. So far I have been able to get a relatively good sound for all the Artist Who's songs I play which is mostly Classic Rock. The Lead Distortion Type handles most of my stuff! The only thing that is a bit weak is the Phase Shifter built into it because then you cannot use any Equalizer. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't go without it, Reliability is great! Even though it is made of plastic it's Durability is quite good, although after about a year or two your Bank Switching Buttons may feel a bit loose! In case of power outages the Pedal also uses batteries! // 10

Overall Impression: This was actually my fathers pedal that he bought and I never liked it. But as started using it I couldn't think on how I could Live without it! I mainly play Rock (Started playing Guitar this year) and this pedal is great for it! t is certainly a pedal I would buy again if it ever got destroyed! The only thing that could have made it better is if it allowed you to use multiple effects at the same time(Like Chorus and Flanger). // 10

505 II Reviewed by: LCJ, on august 17, 2011

Purchased from: A Friend

Ease of Use: Well the pedal is very easy to use the knob helps you to choose what effect you're editing. It's a good idea to check the manual, once you read and made some tests you could be able to get a lot of good patches. But the best you can do is take some time until you get want you want, I've had this device from two years ago and I'm always are making new patches and editing somes. Try everything you want and you'll get a nice patch. // 9

Sound: I use it with a Squier Stratocaster and a Berhiger GM-108 the worst of this pedal is that it doesn't have a Noise Gate and its Zoom Noise Reduction it isn't very good at all, but it works. I usually plays Heavy and Thrash of 80's like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Angeles Del Infierno, Rata Blanca, Metallica, Megadeth, Testament... I play too some shredding like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Walter Giardino, Timo Tolki and most of cases I achive a accurate sound. Some distortions are very good, but others no, the MOD effects are good and easy to configure the delays and reverbs are good but could be betters. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The pedal is cheap, the price it's cost is good for things you can do with it, at the time I bought this I works very well but now it has some problems, but I'm a electronic ingineer so I repair it by myself. // 7

Overall Impression: Mmm... It's easy too use you can edit patches very well and most of cases you can get the sound you want. I play Metal of 80's it's good for that. If it were lost or stolen I could buy a new Zoom pedal but not this one because is old and want something a little better. Is a good multieffects pedal for beginners, but it has some limitations so if you are looking out for a monster you couldn't buy this but if you don't have a big budget and you are a beginner it's perfect for you. // 8

505 II Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2012

Ease of Use: This pedal is a really simple pedal to use. From setting up effects, editting delays, changing volumes, it can be done in a matter of seconds. It would take you less than 10 minutes to get the hang of it! // 10

Sound: I ran my PRS through my pedal board (including a Behringer DD400) then the 505 II and I used it mainly as a tuner. After selling the DD400, I used to 505ii as my delay pedal. Delays are probably its strongest selling point. The onboard EQ is quite horrible, aswell as the mods, overdrives are good but not great, personally I'd never use the onboard distortions. The chorus is also reasonably good, same goes for the flanger. Running it through an AC adapter makes the pedal really noisy, which isn't great, the ZNR covers up the noise but its annoying hearing it now and then. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've used it in many gigs and it hasn't let me down yet. Its made of plastic, so you need to have a light foot when changing effects. Not the strongest pedal, but it hasn't failed me yet. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 8 years. I play rock, jazz and blues. I'm also a guitarist at my church. This was my second pedal, the first being some cheap distortion. Let me end by saying this pedal will be excellent for a new player or as someone's first pedal. It has served me well, although if it has to break or go missing, I'd save up and buy something a little more pricey. // 6

505 II Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on september 05, 2013

Purchased from: music132.com

Ease of Use: This was my very first guitar pedal and as a beginner, it was an excellent tool for learning what effects produce a particular sound. It was very inexpensive so as a beginner, the price was just right. It apparently has a Wah/Volume expression pedal port but I have seen no such pedal for sale anywhere. The factory patches sounds range from clean and clear to heavy and chunky, not to mention that each factory patch can be modified if you choose. I basically left all the factory patches and augmented from there, keeping what I liked and changing or removing what I didn't like all together. The manual was very helpful from what I can remember (I bought it about 9 years ago and lost the manual soon thereafter), it explained what each effect does and the corresponding abbreviation as it appears on the display. The Chromatic Tuner is another fantastic and easy to use feature the 505 II has to offer. // 7

Sound: I have played several different guitars through this pedal, everything from Squire Strats to Gibson Les Pauls, and it's sounded great with them all. I am currently running it through a Fender FM65 and it sounds excellent through it. The only complaint I have is that it can at times be a little noisy depending on the effect and the kind of pickups (open coils tend to have a little bit more buzz with the overdrives but that's to be expected). The distortions effects sound alright, but they aren't anything to write home about. The remaining effects are all really nice, so my suggestion would be to buy a separate stompbox type distortion effect to use in conjunction with the other effects. I suggest the Boss DS-1 or the DigiTech Metal Master in this case. One of the better effects on the pedal is the compressor, it has varying effects depending upon what the user chooses as the level. You can easily get a Metallica (think "Ride the Lighting" tones) sound as well as a crunchy AC/DC like sound. All in all the clean jazz and blues mods take the cake in my book, you can easily model the tone of an expensive Gibson or the twang Fender with just a few turns of a knob. Other effects such as a chorus, flanger and reverb are all very good depending on the application. The auto Wah is pretty awesome too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Plastic pedals are to be avoided I know, but this pedal is very sturdy. The underside is steel though, so that does add some support, but the toggle pedals are plastic and could easily break. I don't gig with this pedal on a regular basis anymore, but it is a solid choice for studio or home playing none the less. I would be apprehensive about using it without a back up for one reason; it eats AA batteries like crazy. An afternoon of jamming it about all the life the batteries have, if you can track done a power supply you'll be rid of all doubt about losing power. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of styles from blues to metal, this pedal suites all of them without failure. I have been playing for 9 years and like I stated above this pedal was the first effects pedal I ever bought. I have a DigiTech RP-200 work station as well, since I acquired it, I haven't had much need for the Zoom. For the price and the features I utilize, it was a great buy and would buy it again if I had to do it over. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again. I like the assortment of different pedals and the ease of use; I can say it much easier to manipulate than the DigiTech RP-200 I have. The only feature it is missing is the expression pedal, if it had a Wah/Volume pedal, it would be the only modeling pedal I would ever need. It's far more inexpensive than other pedals like it, but for the price tag, it exceeds my expectations daily. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1on 9.2 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014