707 II Guitar Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 08/02/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: 707 II Guitar
The 707 II Guitar offers 74 different effects, available within eight effect modules,compatible to latest guitar sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.4
 6.8
reviews (12) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
707 II Guitar Reviewed by: chirayu, on june 19, 2006

Purchased from: Furtados, Mumbai

Ease of Use: Very easy if you are using the preset patches. Not very hard if you want to make your own. It provides a lot of flexibilty and control over the sound and the parameters are easy to set. A manual is provided if you are not familiar with effects and parameters, which is available in many languages. There is also a drum machine. Good for practice, different patterns in that too. But it cannot be used with sampling. Metronome and tuner and stuff also present. // 8

Sound: I use an Epiphone guitar and have used some others too on this including Fender. I have used a variety of amps including Marshall and custom mades. It sounds almost the same except for the amps can make a difference. Not noisy, the ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) works pretty well. The effects always sound the same. Wether they are great or crap. I listen to and play stuff from Death (Chuck Schuldiner) to Eric Clapton to ray charles. Cant get all the sounds. But if you play around with the parameters, its possible to imitate most metal bands. But you have to work for it. I use mostly patches that I made myself. The effects are good. But getting to sound like Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix or SRV is obviously not possible. Remember its digital! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for 3 years now. Not a sign of getting old. Good as new (I did use it). I can totally depend on it and have used it in gigs without backup. No problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This is good for beginners and amateurs. Though we know guitarists are never just amateurs! When I bought this I was more into metal and rock. Was good then. Now I'm more into blues. Doesnt quiet fit into this genre, but still usable. But for playing blues I use this other pedal I designed myself. I would have wanted a better wah, but for rock it does the job. If it was stolen, I would buy analog pedals instead of this or any other multi-effect processor, but thats just my choice. I love that it is good for the price it comes at. // 8

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 03, 2005

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: This unit is very customizable. You can get so many unique sounds out of it, and editing patches is a breeze so long as you're willing to invest a few minutes in reading various sections of the manual, which is written clearly. // 10

Sound: I've only been playing for two years now, so I don't have any good gear. I'm using a Squier fat strat and a peavey practice amp (rage 158). Everything sounds great. The distortions sound much better than the distortion that the amp provides, but I don't know how it would sound on a good setup. All the effects sound great. I play Mudvayne, System Of A Down, tried some Mars Volta (failed), and a lot of Tool. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is made of plastic, which sucks, but as long as you don't throw it, jump on it, or light it on fire while you're playing, I see no reason why it wouldn't last. As for using it at a gig, I played a song. Once. It worked, and I'd do it again. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I think it's a great pedal for me, a beginner. I don't know how it would fare in the hands or below the feet, as it may be of a professional. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, no matter what kind of music they play. // 9

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: DJ_Inferno2000, on august 01, 2005

Sound: I use a Java guitar and a Marshall amp with this. It can get pretty noisy if turn up all the knobs on the amp, so I prefer to keep my tone at a 10, my bass at a 10, my mid at a 6 and my treble at a 3 1/2. Most of the effects are pretty good but it doesnt have a great range of distortion patches unfortunately. Some of the patches can sound really weak so I dont use them much but others are strong as hell. I listen to a lot of Metallica and I can get their sound with this. I listen to lighter stuff like bon jovi but that kinda sound is slightly harder to get. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of heavy metal and this pedal is great for it. It's Grunge sound isn't so great but it doesnt matter to me 'cause I don't play blues. The lead sounds are pretty decent too. I don't own any other gear apart from my guitar, amp and pedal and I don't think I need anything else. If it was stolen I think I would buy it again 'cause it's pretty cheap compared to other stuff. But if I had a lot of cash then I wud get something much better. I only wish it had an inbuilt memory of more than 6 seconds. // 8

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: bighugejake, on august 18, 2007

Purchased from: Lee's Music

Ease of Use: The use of this thing is fairly simple. it only took me a week or so to figure everything out. The sampler works well but it only records like a 6 second riff but you can loop it. The battery usage is easy to use and find but it sucks power fast. You can edit and name different settings and use the pedal for a bunch of different things (wah, pitch, gain, reverb and volume control etc.) I wouldn't Recommend using batteries for this unless they're rechargeable. I never read the manual but I really didn't need to as it was so easy to figure out. // 9

Sound: I am using a Peavey V-type guitar on a Peavey 212 Bandit Amp. It sounds really good using that set up. It really does work good with almost any amp as it is very compatible. There are enough settings to melt your face off and even if you can find one you want there are 50 setting that you can edit without ever screwing up the original settings. Most of the effects are strong but they can be tuned so much that you can really have any pitch or tone or frequency or whatever you want. The pitch setting is a little bit strange because you can chose to go two octaves up or two octaves down. The only way to get a setting that is just one octave down (a bass effect) you must use a two pitched setting so it sounds just like a guitar that's playing synchronized to the bass. Also, you can't use any effects when you're recording a loop. You can only use the basic tone of the setting. But overall this pedal is very versatile and can change to almost any effect you want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the Zoom 707 shows it's weak spot. This pedal is not very durable. it accumulates dust and grime really quickly and many of the buttons can become easily jammed. If I were to do a gig I would definitely get it checked and serviced before preforming. // 5

Overall Impression: I play all type of music from blazing Death Metal to sophisticated Avant Garde Jazz to Country chicken pickin' to straight up Niel Young chord strumming camp-fire songs. Any style you play this effects pedal will satisfy you're needs. I only wish that I could have asked how long the loop recording time was so I wasn't so shocked to find how short it recorded for. But other than that I have no regrets buying this system. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would probably replace it with a newer model only because this one is out of date but if you were to compare this pedal to a DigiTech or a Fender pedal this one would come out on top. I do wish it had a stereo head phones hook-up because when you put head phone right into the pedal you only get one ear so I usually run it though an amp first and then plug the headphones into the amp. // 8

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: Super BisDak, on november 26, 2007

Purchased from: JVS Audio

Ease of Use: The pedal is pretty self-explanatory and therefore is very easy to edit and get a good sound out of it. Before I own this unit, I had the 06 so I didn't bother reading the manual. This pedal is very portable which is an advantage in practice sessions and etc. // 10

Sound: I use a Yamaha Pacifica and Les Paul guitars and a Peavey Classic 30. The distortion and other dirt effects are good. Likewise, the hiss and hum noise can be supressed by the noise reduction module. The good thing about the Drive module is it has a sound variation ranging from classic, standard, modern. I find some effects which are weak or thin and don't sound good as they should. For example, the pitch shifter sounds a bit at harsh at times, and the wah effect is very weak and has a short range of sweeping action. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The housing is made of a hard plastic, it will break if you drop it. The other bug are the switches, it breaks easily. I could recall few months after I bought it, the store button has stopped working. To be honest, I won't use it on a gig without a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: I usually play gospel music, blues and instrumental rock and this pedal has catered some of my craved tones. I've been playing for 10 years now. The thing that I love about this pedal is the record feature and it has a large range of effects. The only bug as I mentioned is the switch problem. My favorite feature is the recording, you can actually playback the passage at half or quarter of the original. It has also a drum machine which could be synchronized with the patches, a good feature also. If it were lost or stolen I would buy a latest model instead, a G-series maybe. For the price of this pedal I think it is a very good pedal to start off with. It provides all, if not all, of the effects a beginner will be interested in at a reasonable price. // 8

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2011

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

Ease of Use: The pedal is extremely easy to use. One of the best features added to the 707 II is the amp model variation button on the top left of the unit. This button toggles you between three amps. This makes it easy to always have the ability to Switch to a clean or dirty channel sound, which is a great feature and makes it a lot easier to adjust on the fly using just one preset. This is ideal for the novice or guitarist who does not want to fuss with the settings. With that said I highly recommend fussing with all of the settings. The presets that come with this unit are mostly overblown metal/grunge patches that have WAAAAAAY too much gain. I am not anti metal or anything, but the presets seriously lack some nice clean sounds that a blues guitarist could get excited about. Luckily those sounds are easily created with just a little bit of DIY. // 8

Sound: This unit comes with what I would call some pretty standard effects. Multi-effects pedals all come with a basic array of effects. Phaser, Wah wah, tremelo, reverb, hall, spring, ppong delay. There is a variety of amp models, and a handful of cabinets to choose from. The noise reducer and isolator effects work very well, and keep even the loudest sounds under control in between riffs. All of your standard effects found on much larger and more expensive effects pedals can be found right here from this 10++year old unit. I feel like its been pretty easy to get the tones I want from this pedal. It takes a little setting up, but is well worth it. The only things I would say doesn't work very well in terms of included effects/settings - is the EQ modeling. With that said it does its job in taking out the high end, which can eliminate some air in the patch, but it doesn't do a good job of defeating the bass end if you are getting a dirty signal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I owned a 707 GFX before this unit, and I liked it well enough to get the 707 II all these years later. The first one lasted about 10 years, with any luck this one has a good run left in it! (The 707 GFX unit eventually just started shorting/clipping the input and I never got it fixed). The unit is housed and made of plastic, which is always a downer in terms of longevity. On the plus side, it is very very hard plastic, and I do not see this thing randomly cracking or drying out, it's a solid pvc type of plastic, and I'm more worried about the electronics or power cable going bad than the plastic. // 7

Overall Impression: Okay guys, some of you sound snobs would laugh at anyone considering actually getting this unit in 2011 (which I just did!) >> But, you're all just haters. This thing has a perfectly great set of reverb/chorus/amp/cab models to choose from. The delay and Wah Wah are also notably good for a unit this old. Could you get a better sound from a much newer and more expensive pedal? ABSOLUTELY - Can you find a better DEAL, than this little pedal for $30+$10 Shipping. I really doubt it. This little package does everything I need to make for some awesome practice time next to my garageband and RC50 loop pedal. What more could you ask for for $40? // 8

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2005

Purchased from: n

Ease of Use: It is simple to get the sound you are looking for because there is lots of preset effects, you just have to select what one you want. The pedal is very easy to set up, there is a manual that comes with it but I didn't need it. // 10

Sound: Since there is so many effects you get a wide range sounds some better than others, there is a lot of good tones but there is a couple that are pretty useless. One problem is that the distortion drowns out the clean sound. In my opinion the distortion is not heavy enough. I use a Epiphone Les Paul and a Marshall MG50DFX. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have had it for a year and it hasn't let me down so there is no reason to doubt its reliability. I have used it at a gig and it was fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I usually play Guns N' Roses and AC/DC so it is fine for that but sometimes iplay more heavier songs like Zakk Wylde songs for example and I prefer the distortion on my amp for that. I don't like the editing part of the pedal where you make ure own effects. My freind as a Boss ME-50 and that is better because there are switches and nobs to play about with to get the right sound. If it got stolen I wouldn't buy it again I would save up a bit and get a Boss ME-50. // 8

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: bradbradbrad, on november 01, 2005

Ease of Use: At first I found this difficult to use and confusing, but that was because I didn't have a manual. After downloading the manual from their website, everything was cleared up. Making and editing patches is simple once you figure it out. Something I'll put here because it doesnt really fit anywhere else is that this unit can be used to record solo guitar tracks. With a SmartMedia memory card, you can record quite alot. Unfortunately without a memory card all you can record is 2 seconds. Luckily for me, the previous owner left his 64Mb memory card in it, so I can record an hour. It also has a tuner in it. // 9

Sound: I use this with my ESP H-300 guitar and small practice amp. It can get noisy on high distortion, but it has ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) which fixes that. Almost all of the effects are great, the wah is a bit weak though. I don't use all the effects, but I havent heard anything on it that I would say is bad. The distortions/overdrives are probably the strongest of all the effects. There are some artist patches, but they aren't very good. The sound is pretty good overall. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It is designed for live playing, and it feels reliable. I would use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal and blues, and this suits perfectly. It has a setting for any style you will ever play. The sound is good, but nothing spectacular, good for the price. If it was stolen, I would save up for something more expensive. My favourite feature is the recording ability. I didnt compare it to other products, but I have played others and this unit is on par with them. The 707 II is a sturdy, reliable product that I would recommend to anyone just starting to use effects. // 7

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: Snorglorf, on july 14, 2006

Purchased from: Ardens Music

Ease of Use: It's not very easy to get a good sound out of it, at least not from factory defaults. You really have to screw around with it to get a nice tone, but some of the effects are really good once you tweak it. The manual is complete crap, I read it twice, and it just confused me more. But once I got the hang of it, everything is easy to use. But that was after being completely confused about how to use it for about 3 weeks. // 4

Sound: I'm playing through a cheap Ibanez GRX20 and little Crate GT-15. I can get some decent sounds with certain distortions, and the Flange/Chorus and delay are all really good. But I hate the wah, it's extremely weak. Plus it's hard to get a good bluesy sound. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I can get a good Dimebag sound on it, nice chunky lows and good high end for harmonics.. I can also get pretty close to Steve Vai's tone, but anything with wah sounds really bad. Overall, for the amount of effects on there, it's decent. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I've had a few trouble with the patch cord in/out, and a little bit with the adapter power supply. Other than that, nothing. I wouldn't use it for a gig, because it doesn't sound good enough. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal/blues/classic rock stuff, such as Iron Maiden, Pantera, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, that kind of thing, and it has a good metal tone, but I can't use it for lighter distortions, it sounds like crap. I've been playing for about two years now, and I also own a Danelectro auto-wah, which I seriously think has a better wah tone, other than the fact that it's auto.. If it were stolen/lost, I'd probably buy a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion, a Cry Baby Wah, because that's pretty much all I used this pedal for, distortion and wah, and those two pedals do the job so much better, for the same price practically. I love being able to edit the effects, but I hate the sound of most of the effects. When I was buying the pedal, I didn't know much about effects, and I hadn't tried many out, now I'm wishing I had. // 4

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2006

Ease of Use: It might seem difficult to use it at first but the manual always helps. I know majority of the people never bother to read it but take my advice, take out some time and read it, it makes everything pretty easy. Everything is given in the manual. But try to mess around with it a bit and you'll get the basics. But some of the stuff gets complicated like editing and stuff. So try the manual first or you'll ruin your thing. // 8

Sound: I basically use Gibson Les Paul with a Behringer Firebird amp. It isn't always noisy, but on certain types of distortions it is. The effects are really good. They really impressed me. And you can get the sound of your favourite artists, but you'll have to do some searching as there are plenty of effects to look through. Nirvana, Zepellin, all can be found. Distrortion for one is really good. Plenty of types. Wah is kinda weak, but on the whole great effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Totally reliable. Although plastic, but I think, using it like human beings won't hurt. Adapter can be used, or batteries can be used which work continuously for 11 hours. And I can use it without a backup. Take good care of it and you'll have no trouble. It sounds great, looks great, is totally reliable, as far as I think. But look out for one thing, the input and out put jacks at the back can get loose if you plug in and out too much. So tht's a set back, try not to move the wire too much once in. // 9

Overall Impression: I basically play hard rock, grunge, metal. And the awesome distortion suits me great. I've been playing for over a year now. I just have my laptop and speakers in my room. It makes a perfect jam room. It not very cheap so you'll definately have to look after it. And you wouldn't want to lose something like this anyways. I mostly like the distortions and the lead effects such us of Van Halen and Vai. The expression pedal is great! Helps alot! Compare it with V-amp 2, X V-AMP, it is far above all them. It pretty much has everyhthing. // 10

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: sheahan99guitar, on april 21, 2007

Purchased from: Matts Guitar Store

Ease of Use: This guitar effects processor is very easy to use and Rock with. It is quite easy to get an amazing souund out of this processor by just setting your modules right. You can improve on this sound with easy parameter knobs. The patches given in the processor (the PRESET group) are so awesome I actually didn't want to edit any of the patches even on the user group. I was just foolin around one day when I was actually trying to get better sound than that of the preset group. I thought you could get any sounds better than those... Then I edited a patch so easyly and it sounded better than ever. There was a manuel given in the box I got it in and it explained everything about the processor. It went from how to take care of it to connecting it to all the extra feature to editin patches and what all the preset patches are. // 10

Sound: The amazing setup I use is a Fender Strat, Zoom 707II Guitar and a few Marshall amplifiers. It is not noisy at all unless of course you want it to be noisy and make it noisy. The effects on this processor never let you down.. They are almost never weak and like almost always Great. I got this processor when my teacher was using it and I thought it sounded just like the Megadeth and Metallica guitar effects.. at that moment I fell in love with so I got one.. you can also get a lot of their other heavier sound by using a Metal Drive sound and loading it with a lot of gain. On the processor all the effects are amazing eccept I think that the delay is kind of screwed up, but I don't use that much so yea. Other than that all is good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is one processor you can always depend on to satisfy your needs.. I would even take this for a gig without a backup processor with the confidence you get out of this. But I still don't do that myself because I still love being "better safe than sorry." // 7

Overall Impression: My friend call me the heavy metal freak or the guitar kid. I play mostly heavy music such as Megadeth and Metallica. But I also love just playing some amazing rock such as Guns N Roses etc. This processor matches my style of music almost totally. I have been playing guitar for 1 year now and have used this processor for about 11 months. I own quite a lot of other gear like a few more processors but this IS definately my fav. and best. If anything happend to this processor like if it got stolen or lost. I would buy one again for sure. It happend before aswell, some one stole it and I decided to get the same one again. The thing I love most about this processor is the effects and don't hate anything about it. My faourite feature though is the pedal. // 9

707 II Guitar Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 05, 2010

Price paid: C$ 50

Purchased from: Kijiji (Used)

Ease of Use: I found it really easy to get a good sound of this pedal. I bought it when I knew very little about the guitar or music or any of that stuff, and was quickly able to find a tone I liked. Editing patches was not what I would call difficult, although it was harder than simply just "finding" an enjoyable tone, as you probably expect. You kind of have to "get to know" the pedal first though, so that you fully understand the controls. Pretty simplistic controls for editing, I was able to create the custom "crunch" I wanted in about five or ten minutes. Overall, it is a fairly easy pedal to use. I would recommend it for as a kind of "my first" pedal. // 8

Sound: The majority of the time, this pedal delivered a pretty solid sound. I usually have this going with a Fender Stratocaster and either a Marshall or a Fender amp, which are all pretty beat-up, so it delivered good under the circumstances. Some effects settings I did find a bit "iffy". A couple of the heavy distortion effects didn't really come out that well, and they had a lot of feedback and some weird static-type noises sometimes (although the culprit might be my old amp!) Most of the time the effects came out pretty strong, but once again, some were so-so. It's mainly the Wah effects that could be better, they were rather weak. So, the sound is rather reasonable. As I mentioned above, the main things to work on would be the distortion and the wah. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This pedal, overall, is fairly reliable. It's good for a bar-type gig, a small local music festival, or anything of that sort. It's quite dependable live, as long as you don't push it too hard. I use it when I play with my band, and it rarely fails me. Overall, I could trust this in a small gig situation. // 7

Overall Impression: I play almost every style of music, so I can tell you that this pedal is very diverse in that sense. It also has some interesting features like a built-in drum machine, as well as capability to record your playing. (It doesn't record for very long, only about 8 seconds, unless you have a SmartMedia memory card, in which case in can record something along the lines of 8 minutes.) I did buy it when I was a beginner musician, so now I am looking towards a new pedal of the same sort, just higher quality. I recommend it as an inexpensive beginner pedal, but if you're already an accomplished musician, it's worth the money to buy a higher-grade pedal. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G3X 9.3 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014